Talk

Advanced search

Kenzo H&M silk shirts - would you risk machine washing?

(11 Posts)
teawamutu Thu 29-Dec-16 21:29:23

Hadn't raised the stupid things were dry clean only. Normally I take the view that anything too choosy to withstand a delicates cycle has no place in my wardrobe, but I don't want to condemn them to death after one wearing.

WWYD? It's good thick silk.

imjessie Thu 29-Dec-16 23:04:04

Yep I would . Silk cycle on your machine with silk detergent only . Hang straight away and iron whilst slightly damp !

notagiraffe Thu 29-Dec-16 23:05:24

Yes definitely. I wash all silk shirts on a cool delicates wash and cool tumble or dry on a hanger then iron. The main thing is not to put them on a long cycle or a fast tumble.

HardcoreLadyType Thu 29-Dec-16 23:07:35

People were wearing and washing silk long before dry cleaning was invented. Just use the hand wash cycle on your washing machine, with a very slow spin, or even none. Or just hand wash it yourself. It probably doesn't need more than a rinsing out with a gentle detergent.

onthelevel Thu 29-Dec-16 23:10:49

Wool wash on cold temp, with a special silk/ wool washing liquid absolutely fine.

yougetme Thu 29-Dec-16 23:13:19

Its not the machine its the detergent that causes most problems with silk.

Biological detergent can 'eat' the silk so any non bio will do.

teawamutu Fri 30-Dec-16 07:26:17

Thanks so much, that's what I thought but I lost my nerve (they were expensive and -even more unusually for me - full pricegrin). Will invest in a silk detergent today.

Feelingkenty Fri 30-Dec-16 07:40:41

I'd follow the good advice you've been given OP but I really just came on to say I recognise your username - that's my home town wink

imjessie Fri 30-Dec-16 15:04:56

You can always hand wash and do a quick delicate spin . You must hang And smooth straight away though to avoid permanent creases .

teawamutu Mon 02-Jan-17 10:55:41

Aaack just went to do delicates wash (note that the mountains of normal laundry from being away all week has reduced a bit) realised dh has already done it. He'll have used silk wash but not silk detergent I bought. Dammit dammit dammit.

imjessie Mon 02-Jan-17 14:48:45

Is it ok? Get it out and hang it up .. if it's still wet and ok re wash it with silk detergent .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now