Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best Mascara?

(19 Posts)
user1066 Thu 29-Dec-16 20:23:25

Apologies for starting multiple threads, but I thought it would be clearer to separate the questions out. Post-Christmas / New Year reflections on what I see in the mirror have raised some questions.
I spent a lot of time with my sister-in-laws this Christmas and marvelled at their eye lashes. I did ask them about it, but they answered in a vague way and brushed away my attempts to question more. They are all my age or older and it hit home that my eyelashes they are in a poor state. I’m well past menopause and what were long, thick lashes are now really sparse. None of the mascaras I have tried make them look much better. I’ve tried the special serums and Vaseline and can’t get on with them. One of my friends wears false lashes every day, but that’s too much for me. I have sensitive eyes that water easily, prefer one that is fairly “green” and want that balance between eyelashes looking thicker/fuller but also looking natural. Has anyone got any advice please?

user1066 Fri 30-Dec-16 08:49:18

Hopeful morning bump.

mistermagpie Fri 30-Dec-16 09:26:21

My favourite combo is a bourjois one called 'push up' on the top lashes and Clinique Lash Power (the original one in the grey tube) on the bottom. I find the bourjois one better than ones I have used that are three times the price to be honest, and the Clinique one I use because it never ever smudges (and all mascaras leave me with smudges underneath!), but it's not volumising enough on the top lashes.

AlabasterSnowball Fri 30-Dec-16 09:32:27

I really like Volume Million Lashes mascara, apparently black castor oil is good for making your eyelashes and eyebrows grow thicker. Not tried it yet though

memyselfandaye Fri 30-Dec-16 09:36:44

Max Factor waterproof false lash effect is fantastic and bombproof.

I think it sounds like your sister in law and her friends had individual false lashes put on in a salon, rather than the more obvious bought in a shop fake ones.

Rioja123 Fri 30-Dec-16 09:38:58

Clinique high impact

twinklylights Fri 30-Dec-16 09:40:04

Roller lash by Benefit- I have ditched my eyelash curlers!

Another vote for Clinique high impact, but have you looked into something f like LVL? It's a lash curling/dying that makes them look fantastic.

PaulDacresConscience Fri 30-Dec-16 09:50:28

Another one saying that the vagueness of your SILs probably means that they were wearing fake eyelashes - or had LVL done.

I like a natural look for daytime - and my standby which I go back to again and again, is Max Factor Masterpiece. It gives great definition without looking obviously like you are wearing mascara - this one in the gold tube.

For evening if I want a bit more volume, then I use L'oreal Lash Architect which is brilliant at lengthening without being clumpy.

If I want the full works then nothing beats They're Real by Benefit. I have lost count of how many times I have been asked for the name of the false lashes I am wearing as people like them. It's a complete twat to get off though unless you have an oil-based makeup remover or cleanser (miscellar water won't shift it).

colonelgoldfish Fri 30-Dec-16 10:13:10

I bought the Miss Hippie mascara the other day (think it's L'Oréal or maybeline) and got asked if I was wearing false lashes and complimented on them so was very chuffed. I also curl with a cheap £1 lash curler from primark which seems to make a difference.

HowardMoonsJazzTrumpet Fri 30-Dec-16 10:25:12

High end - YSL Faux Cils or Dior Diorshow (original)

Cheap - L'Oreal Volume Million Waterproof

+ Shu Uemera lash curler.

Liiinoo Fri 30-Dec-16 10:25:28

I agree with PPS. If they were being evasive they had probably had lash extensions. I used to have them and they were beautiful but I developed a sensitivity to the glue and had to give them up.

I now use strip lashes for special events (after a great deal of practice). I use a Revitalash serum and my everyday mascara is Rimmel Colourist - it contains a gradual lashtinr which works well, and worked well into the lash roots gives a very full effect.

SesameSparkle Fri 30-Dec-16 10:46:58

I've also got on well with the L'Oréal ones, which are a good dupe for the posh ones like YSL - as others have said. Telescopic is good. As is volume millions, which does a good waterproof one. Also for a fuller effect you can't beat curling them every time.

user1481140239 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:10:04

The most dramatic I've ever used is the Loreal Beauty tubes one in the red tube. Comes with a primer in one end. Use a comb or tweezers to make sure they don't look clumpy as it is so thick.
Benefit they're real is great too. Heat your eyelash curlers with hairdryer first too! and a thin line of liquid eyeliner may help....

user1066 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:01:01

Thank you everyone - lots to try when I next head to the shops. Happy New Year!

HelenRose1111 Sat 31-Dec-16 18:59:46

I have to say I've tried pretty much every mascara and keep coming back to lancome Hypnose Drama....so many people have asked me which mascara I use, including my hairdresser and the eyebrow threading lady.
I like the sample ones you get in the smaller tube as the brush is slightly smaller and easier to get into the corners of the eyes.

DaphneCanDoBetterThanFred Sat 31-Dec-16 19:09:32

Just to confuse you more op grin I love Rimmel's Lash Accelerator Endless. It has fibres which are great for adding length and volume, but it's not flakey and lasts all day easily. It also (allegedly!) has a lash growing complex which helps your own lashes grow. I lost a lot of lashes (and head hair..and eyebrow hair.. Sob!) post childbirth and I think they've really improved. Not sure if that's due to time or this mascara though!

Other favourites are the volume million lashes ones - I think that range has a few different subtle colours. I used the 'hazel' one and it looked lovely.
Favourite cheapy is NYC sky rise. They've stopped selling it here, the bastards, but it's the best lengthening one I've ever used.

GimmeeMoore Sat 31-Dec-16 19:13:40

Estée Lauder little black tint, a true black.doesmt flake,long lasting. Either on it's on or as as primer under mascara

BananaFrittersForTea Sun 01-Jan-17 01:32:59

Lily Lolo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now