Talk

Advanced search

A very important question about purse/handbag size

(16 Posts)
FlowersandFunk Thu 29-Dec-16 15:17:32

How do I get away from my MAHOOooooooosive purse? I want to reduce my handbag size (partly for boring reasons like a bad back) but also because I've fallen for a small purse and bag I bought in the sales.

So new year, new purse. I've been through my purse. I have seven essential cards (credit/debit/Tesco/Waitrose/work ID/driving licence)
I also have 13 non-essential cards (supermarket I don't go to often, other store cards etc) So HOW do I go down to a minalimist handbag lifestyle (smaller purse, phone, keys, lipstick, tissues only)with all that CRAP to carry around with me?!!

How do you manage it?!

MrsAHotchner Thu 29-Dec-16 15:20:30

I just decided to go as essential as possible. I still don't need half the crap I carry around. As long as I have purse, tissues, phone, headphones, pen and small notebook and some mints/gum, I'm sorted. If I feel a bit fancier, there's enough space for a small, clear makeup bag (Superdrug/Boots) for lipstick, hand cream and any other little bits. Though I somehow still have endless stray bobby pins at the bottom of mine angry

RitaConnors Thu 29-Dec-16 15:21:10

I don't have any reward cards at all.

mowglik Thu 29-Dec-16 15:26:43

Get a slim card case or two, and stop carrying coins. Or get a tiny coin purse. Together they'll be less bulky than a traditional purse

Kleenex do small ladies tissue packs

I know all this because I had to fit my essentials into a tiny wallet on a chain bag - I can just about manage with these two tips

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 29-Dec-16 15:27:46

I keep all my non-essential cards all thrown together in an oyster card holder. It takes no space at all. Also I gave up on massive purses with coin compartments, a small wallett with plenty of card space is much more practical.

FantasticFestiveBeasts Thu 29-Dec-16 15:33:54

I bought a men's wallet for all the non essentials which I leave at home. I only have two reward cards and use the tiny key ring sized ones in my purse.

My tiny bag is 7 x 5 x 2.5 inches and I carry a purse, phone, ventolin, tissues, lipstick, keys, pocket Filofax and/or a fold up shopping bag.

I also have a rucksack that I use and a big bag, different times, when I am driving. I only have the same personal stuff though, the other things I carry are notebooks, work stuff.

It is a mindset adjustment and once you have done it you will not fill even a big bag as you learn not to need nonessential things.

Bit like reward cards really, a lot of them are not worth carrying around.

FantasticFestiveBeasts Thu 29-Dec-16 15:35:25

I also empty any coins less than 10p in a jar so I am not carrying a full purse with no value.

GinAndOnIt Thu 29-Dec-16 15:37:41

Watching with interest. I keep meaning to get a card holder, but I still don't know what to do with coins. I empty out my purse constantly but it's a brick full of coins again within days. I do use cash a lot though.

HappenstanceMarmite Thu 29-Dec-16 15:38:43

Get an app like Stocard for all your rewards cards.

Stoneagemum Thu 29-Dec-16 15:55:32

Happenstance thank you for the stocard app, have just downloaded!

ilovecherries Thu 29-Dec-16 16:36:07

Wow, just downloaded Stocard as well and my purse is much slimmer already! And I refuse most loyalty cards, so I didn't think I had that many, but it turns out there are 6 I use all the time.

HappenstanceMarmite Thu 29-Dec-16 19:23:17

Stocard is great! Be aware that not everywhere will be able to scan the barcode or know what to do with it. <But> just guide them to use a hand scanner OR they need to type out the card number. They'll all catch up with the technology eventually and it makes a big difference to the amount you need to carry round 👍

FlowersandFunk Thu 29-Dec-16 21:41:51

Oooooh! Stocard is awesome, thanks so much smile - is there nothing mumsnet can't help with?! grin

paulapantsdown Thu 29-Dec-16 22:14:53

That app is brill - thanks happenstance! I have been thinking about this lately as my purse is the size of a bloody brick.

I also have the problem of the A5 diary/planner, but if the purse is smaller I can still use a smaller bag.

marmiteloversunite Thu 29-Dec-16 22:34:52

I have all of my reward cards on a key ring. I punched holes in them so they do not take up room in my purse and I can leave them in the car if I am not shopping.

citygirl1961 Fri 30-Dec-16 21:31:36

This is an interesting thread. I don't have a big handbag anymore, its just medium sized containing the essentials. However, I do carry a tote bag also with my lunch for work and my light laptop as I have to carry that around for lunchtimes when I am on my own and times when I am in cafes and waiting for people etc. I used to carry a Filofax but now carry a mini diary, I did start using my phone diary for everything but have now gone back to the paper one aswell and find it better and a mini size fits into a handbag easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now