Stan Smiths - a couple of questions.

(25 Posts)
CointreauVersial Thu 29-Dec-16 08:38:03

I'm toying with the idea of investing in a pair of Adidas Stan Smith trainers, and have a couple of questions:

How do they come up fit-wise? Narrow, broad, big, small??

Also, are they still "in"? Or do you think we might have hit "peak Stan"? A bit like New Balance were all the rage a couple of years back, but now they aren't.....

SheSparkles Thu 29-Dec-16 08:41:11

I'm not sure about fit, but I think where I live we're all Stanned out. Adidas Superstars are the footwear of choice-in white with black stripes

HowardMoonsJazzTrumpet Thu 29-Dec-16 08:41:22

Fit wise, dunno. I last had SS in the 90's. As for 'peak stan', I think that was hit about a year ago.

CointreauVersial Thu 29-Dec-16 08:43:02

Hmm....I'm after plain white trainers - no stripes.

DontDeadOpenInside Thu 29-Dec-16 08:46:14

My dd had a bright blue pair for christmas. Shes a 5.5 but fits in a 6. They look narrower than her superstars but she likes them and says they're comfy.

wannabestressfree Thu 29-Dec-16 08:48:49

Stans are very much 'in' where I am. One of my teens has the 'winters' which are Grey and I have one with the 'specials' (it's with a z) I personally dislike the stans with the pull over straps but I think the others are nice.smile

TheNaze73 Thu 29-Dec-16 08:52:39

"Stan's" are classics that'll never date. They tend to come up narrow but, are so comfy

CointreauVersial Thu 29-Dec-16 09:03:44

Urgh. Narrow isn't good. That's one thing my feet aren't.

I've just noticed Superstars come in plain white, but I'm not convinced about the shell toe.

CallarMorvern Thu 29-Dec-16 10:14:53

I only have experience of Adidas for exercise and I always size up for width and length. Not sure if their fashion trainers are different ( I have wide feet, but wear my usual size in Converse).

Dulcimena Thu 29-Dec-16 10:29:52

Narrowish and not as big as Nikes, but not small either. I have the Velcro ones because messy laces annoy me, and yes I do think we've had peak Stan but there are still plenty of fashionable young things wearing them, so...

keeponkeepinon Thu 29-Dec-16 15:53:42

I fancy some gazelles. Absolute classic and will never really date. Just can't choose which colour! Probably classic navy.

mowglik Thu 29-Dec-16 18:14:11

Try some white adidas gazelles, they look a lot neater than adidas superstars. Based on my fit they come up a bit small

Stan smiths were bit big on me so might be better if you have broad feet?

FedupNagging Thu 29-Dec-16 19:11:55

I've just commented on another thread that stans have been my best buy this year.

I have wide feet and find them really comfortable - am a 4.5 so sized up to a 5.

Even though we have reached peak stan sob I will still be wearing mine and quite possibly purchasing another pair

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 29-Dec-16 19:22:44

I have black Stan Smiths - my feet are very, very wide and they are perfect. Not sure if it makes any odds, but my feet are small (4) and mine are from the kids' department.

carnationlilyrose Thu 29-Dec-16 20:36:50

I think we've reached peak standards but they'll still be wearable, like converse

Apparently vans are the new stans?

Dulcimena Thu 29-Dec-16 20:38:24

Mine are from the kids dept too! Total bargain esp when on sale. Interesting to read the comments about width, my feet are on the narrow side and they fit perfectly (I find nikes can be too wide) but it seems they fit all foot widths well. Perhaps that's the secret of their popularity?

BatonRouge Thu 29-Dec-16 20:40:24

If you like em - get em! I wouldnt worry about perceptions of being 'in' or not. Its not like they're sketchers or anything grin

BatonRouge Thu 29-Dec-16 20:41:40

Personally they're a classic, simple design that will go with most outfits. Sorry cant comment on fit/sizing.

myfriendnoel Thu 29-Dec-16 20:51:06

Superga's...plain white, good for narrow feet?

acurtis1234 Thu 29-Dec-16 20:53:49

No, Supergas fit wide.

AllTheBabies Thu 29-Dec-16 20:57:04

I've got supergas and very narrow feet. They fit me fine. I sized down a half size.

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 29-Dec-16 20:58:39

DD age 11 has a pair in size 4 - she has wide feet and they're fine. Think I may copy her!

GimmeeMoore Thu 29-Dec-16 21:14:45

They come up slightly narrow,best go up half size. I think they're really nice and go with everything as they're so understated. Schuh have a good range of colours too. Where I am they're pretty ubiquitous- mums,students,teens

CointreauVersial Thu 29-Dec-16 21:32:03

Thanks all, that's really useful! Particularly about size - I'm 6.5 - 7, so it's good to know I should size up. Kids department? I wish!

I might order in a few styles to see what suits.

theclick Fri 30-Dec-16 00:19:06

So I got mine in a 6, from Adidas kids, with a 15% discount everyone gets if they use the website for the first time. So I paid around £35-40 which is v cheap for them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now