Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Getting my self-confidence back

(11 Posts)
Dearbhla Tue 20-Feb-07 12:26:32

I am 38 and suffered PND after my second DD who was born in Dec 2004. I have now finished the AD's which made me put on a lot of weight, although I lost about 3 stone when I was ill. I also gave up smoking in Oct and I have joined WW and Curves to try and lose the two stone I put on. I just started to feel so unattractive and I really want to put myself first for a change. I had my hair cut short about a year ago and I am now growing it, it is very curly and I think it would suit me to have it long again, although it will probably take me about 2 years. I made a resolution that 2007 would be the year for me and I am really starting to look after myself, cleansing, toning, moisturising etc. I am 5ft 9 and aim to get down to about 10 stone, 7 - I was 12 stone 10lbs when I joined at WW I would love to get down to a size 10. Have you any other suggestions for me - I really want to shine again and make people think I am attractive!

MakemineaGandT Tue 20-Feb-07 13:34:56

Good for you Dearbhla! I recommend buying yourself some new clothes every now and again as you get smaller - don't just wait until you are thin again - you need confidence boosts along the way to make you feel confident in your appearance. You don't need to spend a lot - there are plenty of places to buy clothes cheaply these days. You could even invest in nice accessories that you'll be able to wear when you have lost all the weight! Also, make sure you do some exercise (even if it is just walks or the occasional swim) - it does wonders for one's mood and self-esteem. Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

hoolagirl Tue 20-Feb-07 16:07:21

Hi, some nice shoes or accessories, even cheap bracelets can jazz things up.
Also spend some time on yourself, long bath, face mask, nice body lotion etc at least once a week.

Dearbhla Wed 21-Feb-07 10:35:33

Thanks girls. I was at WW last night and lost another 3.5lbs so that's 11lbs off so far. I am doing Curves 3 times a week which I find very good for toning up etc. I started using body lotion a couple of weeks ago, Nivea Q10 Firming Lotion - do you think this is a good one? I have also started using Dermalogica products which are brilliant. Do you all have regular facials? I know I will never look as good as I did before the children but at least I can try my best!

ScottishThistle Wed 21-Feb-07 10:39:57

Well done!

No reason why you can't look as good as you did before the children!

I believe if you use a body moisturiser every time you come out the bath/shower it doesn't matter a great deal what kind it is.

I feel good when I do a HUGE clear out of my wardrobe!

hermykne Wed 21-Feb-07 10:40:23

dearbla i use dermalogica face mask twice a wk (if i get the chance) and dont need facials now. they work quite well.

listen you are 5ft 9 - very tall - its not about being a size 10 its about proportion. were you a size 10 before? you might reach 10st 7 and look fantastic and size 12 will fit you perfectly and you'll be svelte.

dont aim for clothes size. think svelte!

i was in something similar to curves but now joined a gym and find the results much better. plus the personal attention is great. get the most out of curves with regard to the routne you are doing.

Dearbhla Wed 21-Feb-07 11:10:29

hermykne, I was always usually size 12, so I will bear that in mind. Another question, sorry about this, what foundations do you recommend? I have a very oily T Zone and foundation usually seems to slide off after a few hours. I want a good coverage that still looks quite natural? thanks.

ScottishThistle Wed 21-Feb-07 11:12:13

If you go to any good cosmetics counter they'll be able to test different foundations on your skin...I'm a big fan of Clinique.

TLV Wed 21-Feb-07 11:19:47

well done you I too am making more time for me (part of my resolution) I now have a teeny weeny pt job and when I get paid I allow my self treats (roll on next week!) I tend to buy from boots and then get my points so I can treat myself even more. I have also started buying more dress jewellery etc (bhs good for this) and whenever I go shopping for makeup I always have spritzs of perfumes and I even take up assistants offer of a free makeover. I'm a big avon fan too as they always have good offers on and their bath products/makeup are really good value for money, see their website.

Shop around for facials too and stay out of town as you normally pay twice as much, I go to a little salon on an estate near where I live, cost pennies to get a pedicure/manicure/facials etc

hermykne Wed 21-Feb-07 13:22:02

dearbla - primer before the foundation could make all the difference - clinique good for this as are clarins and chanel. as Scottishthistle says take a trip to the counters. spend a bit of money on this and your foundation might be ok.

Dearbhla Thu 22-Feb-07 10:34:53

Thanks girls, will try that about the foundation. What do you think about growing my hair? It is very short at the moment, which I do not think suits me and it is curly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: