Talk

Advanced search

Any fans of 'weird' lipstick shades about?

(3 Posts)
SapphireSeptember Wed 28-Dec-16 20:54:04

Is there anyone like me who spent years looking for colours like proper purple, blue, green, yellow, grey and a good quality black? And now suddenly they're mainstream!

It started in 2009 when Revlon released Va Va Violet. That was the first proper purple I'd seen, then I saw Beauty uk Darkness, which although is fairly inexpensive is a better quality black than it's slightly more expensive cousin by Barry M (which was my first black lipstick at age 15, when I was too scared of the 'proper' Goths to go into Tiger Lily, but Superdrug was okay.)

Then I brought a black lipstick by Kiko a couple of years ago and felt like I'd arrived. Now there's the likes of NYX, MAC, Kat Von D, Make Up Forever, Maybelline, L'Oreal are getting in on the act, Inglot had a collection of six shades of blue lipstick they released a few years ago, and I'm sure there are more, these are just the ones off the top of my head. Meanwhile a lot of high street brands are getting quite dull and it feels quite sad. Though NYX are now a high street brand and I was in heaven a few months ago walking around their counter in our nearest big Boots. I'm so glad they're in the UK now.

I've recently become the proud owner of the entire NYX macaron lippies collection, and have so far tried the grey, the black and the two blue shades. The blue ones are actually a lot brighter than I was expecting, I cannot wait to try the rest of them, (I'm allowing myself one a day. Picture is of said lippies.) Does anyone want to join me in crazy lipstick land?

OnTheUp13 Wed 28-Dec-16 21:01:52

YEEEEES! I love crazy lipstick! Kiko and NYX are my go to fav brands.

SapphireSeptember Wed 28-Dec-16 21:23:02

Yay! I agree with you on Kiko and NYX, the quality of both is fabulous and they're not too expensive either.

Ooh, I forgot how difficult it was to find bright orange too, until it became a massive trend in 2012. My first proper orange was Flirty Orange by GOSH, I now have two by Kiko, one by Inglot, MAC Morange, L'Oreal did a gorgeous limited edition one and I'm pretty sure my NYX one will be bright too... Something of an obsession? Nah, course not! Less crazy than some colours, but some people I know still think orange is a bit 'out there'. I love it, the first time I wore it I was amazed at how much it brightened up my complexion. A mention to GOSH whose Matt Purple lipstick is very similar to MAC Heroine, and whose Matt Clove is a stunning deep purple, but finding pictures online is impossible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now