Talk

Advanced search

How do you know what the right hair colour is for you?

(13 Posts)
SnipSnipMrBurgess Wed 28-Dec-16 13:13:04

Based on some photos over the Christmas period, I have come to the conclusion that my hair is too dark, my eyebrows, too light and undefined.

Im generally straggly looking anyway, Im trying to change, but looking at these photos, it seems like this is a good start as any!

How do you know though? This colour was put in at the hairdressers, surely they would say something if a colour doesnt suit?

olderthanyouthink Wed 28-Dec-16 14:05:22

Your natural hair colour might be a start?

Look at people who look similar to you and whether their hair colour looks good

GoldAndGlittery Wed 28-Dec-16 14:07:05

Your natural colour is always the one that suits you best.

CorporalNobbyNobbs Wed 28-Dec-16 14:08:53

What is your natural colour OP? Not saying don't dye it but are you in the same general ballpark as your 'real' colour?

Floisme Wed 28-Dec-16 14:17:31

I played around with my hair colour when I was young but whenever I look at the photos, I have to concede that nature probably did get it right.

That isn't to say you shouldn't dye your hair - it's good fun - but your original colour may well be the one that tones best with your skin, eyes etc.

Smitff Wed 28-Dec-16 14:25:18

I too think your natural colour is what suits you best.

Sometimes you can enhance natural and it looks good (but like adding a pinch of sugar or drop if balsamic vinegar to bolognese sauce to engage the flavours of the tomatoes).

I also think that absolutely radical colours can look great. I love the plastic reds and lilacs and whites you see these days, but only when the rest of the person's appearance matches. No point having lilac hair if you generally dress in Per Una, for example.

CorporalNobbyNobbs Wed 28-Dec-16 14:31:32

I dye my hair it's natural colour (dark brown) to cover grey and also it makes it all shiny and nice.

CorporalNobbyNobbs Wed 28-Dec-16 14:31:40

*its

APlaceOnTheCouch Wed 28-Dec-16 14:34:09

Your hairdresser should be able to advise you (if they are good). I don't agree that natural is always best. My natural hair colour drains me. It's too dark for my skin colouring.

SnipSnipMrBurgess Wed 28-Dec-16 14:49:35

My natural colour is mousey brown and it didnt suit me then either!

Ive been almost fully grey since I was 13.

Early 2000's I used to get it highlighted, red brown and blonde, that was probably the best it ever looked!

Its a dark brown now, nothing exciting, Ive see the reds and lilacs, Smitff, I wish I was that brave!

CorporalNobbyNobbs Wed 28-Dec-16 14:56:27

Maybe a bit darker but not as dark then SnipSnip? Or dark with lighter highlights.

(Ps the snapper is on telly tonight grin)

CorporalNobbyNobbs Wed 28-Dec-16 15:05:48

Ah shite it was last night

bestofboth Wed 28-Dec-16 15:15:25

I think I've been every colour under the sun trying to decide what suited me best. I've gone back to dark brown because although it does make me look slightly pale, it makes my hair look super glossy and amazing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now