Talk

Advanced search

Natural Hair dye for red head?

(15 Posts)
LazySusan11 Wed 28-Dec-16 07:44:29

Looking for a completely natural hair dye for my Mum. Her hair colour is classed as Titian, she's fairly grey now except for the ends which have no turned a dark auburn.

Would Henna work?

LazySusan11 Wed 28-Dec-16 18:12:32

Anyone?

Veterinari Wed 28-Dec-16 18:19:17

Look on amazon for auburn henna hair dye - it's what I use and gives a natural-looking red

statetrooperstacey Wed 28-Dec-16 18:33:47

I tried lush henna, my friend recommended it and she had beautiful hair. I think it has a very vibrant effect on grey hair. My own experience was dreadful, you tubed it did everything properly. Blocked the drains, and had hair like fucking straw afterwards and it took hours with no discernible change in colour. However it is natural and the reviews on line I found raved about it! If I wanted natural again I would go to holland and Barrett or independent type place and look there. I know holland and Barrett sell hair colours and they are always very helpful.

Veterinari Wed 28-Dec-16 23:48:26

Yes the lush stuff is high maintenance to do

The amazing one is pre prepared in an applicator bottle, super easy and great results

neveradullmoment99 Wed 28-Dec-16 23:52:24

Henna mixed with indigo will give you auburn. Beautiful shine and condition. Google the hennacat website. Loads of downloadable free books on there.

neveradullmoment99 Wed 28-Dec-16 23:54:14

Dont bother with the lush henna. Its more of a wash. Pure henna and indigo will give you variants of brown and auburn. If you dye grey hair with pure henna or even with lush henna, it will be orange. The essential mix is indigo. both can be purchased on the henna cat website.

neveradullmoment99 Wed 28-Dec-16 23:55:28

hennacat

LazySusan11 Thu 29-Dec-16 06:34:19

Thanks very much smile

neveradullmoment99 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:59:42

Free books on henna-ing hair

stream26 Thu 29-Dec-16 15:26:17

I have been using henna on my hair, I have a very dark chocolaty hair . I used 4 bricks because my hair is incredibly long and thick (and a nightmare!) but I made the mixture slightly runnier . I completely covered my head...and the floor...and left it for 5 hours *** in clingfilm with a towel over that because the warmer it is the brighter the colour. I got a lovely auburn colour like newaylook.com/best-dark-auburn-hair-color-best-choise-winter/ which means that the dark brown shines through as it coats the hair but in the sun it is an incredible red colour .
Also I've found that the American brand Aveda is exceedingly good. Pricey, but much much much gentler than any of the other salon brands. You can google the name and find out about the brand.
They make no claims of being 100% organic or 100% natural, but when it comes to colour staying in your hair for a decent amount of time, then I believe you need at least some amount of chemicals.

user1481140239 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:15:54

Henna can really ruin your hair (even though it is natural) basically if your mum has white hair underneath it will come out much brighter, what ever you use. Henna is especially bright red.
Aveda Madder root shampoo and conditioner is good for a red tint, and for a more permanent effect you can get natural hair dyes from most health food shops. May be an idea to try a brownish red to avoid a pink tone once the red starts to wash out of the white underneath?

Shwighty1 Sat 31-Dec-16 00:16:39

A second vote for contacting the Hennacat website loads of research and advice on there

neveradullmoment99 Sat 31-Dec-16 10:45:54

Henna can really ruin your hair

Henna will not ruin you hair. Henna is natural and improves the condition of your hair. The idea that henna ruins you hair is a common myth perpetuated by hairdressers and people who are ill informed.
Please don't be put off by it. Read up about it. The thing to remember is that henna is red based. If you wish brown/black to be the colour or colouring over grey, you need to mix it with indigo. My hair is in beautiful condition. I have been using henna for months now and have never looked back. My hair is mostly grey underneath. The only time i have had any issues is when i have used lush henna, which is merely a tint. Using pure henna and indigo mixed, i get beautiful natural results. I absolutely love it.

ZaraW Sat 31-Dec-16 10:54:55

I use Just for Red Heads henna they advise a two step process using the lighter shade which is champagne and then using strawberry blonde or copper as the last stage if you have more than 20% grey hair. Not tried it myself as I only have a few Grey's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now