Talk

Advanced search

Where to buy a big bag...

(17 Posts)
Pollyanna9 Tue 27-Dec-16 13:10:44

Hi all

Right, so I work in a job where I'm based across three sites, no fixed desk, so I'm hauling round shedloads of papers/files, a laptop, spare pare of shoes, umbrella, various things like lint roller, deoderant, hairspray etc and since I'm prone to older lady overheating probably a jumper thrown in there (or if it's really bad, my dress - joking!).

So I want a tote bag with no innards so I can easily slide my laptop, files etc in and out. I have a bag that's about 32cm in length but it's just not big enough. I keep looking for oversized but can't seem to find anything bloomin' big enough.

I need something a good 55 - 60cm.

I want a handle that's not one of those really short ones, but long enough to easily slip over my shoulder but not so long that the bag is banging on my legs (I'm only short so that can be a problem!!).

I don't want a really fully structured bag but at the same time a canvas bag wouldn't do because I just shove my laptop into the bag rather than in the massive and very heavy laptop bag and so I need it to be a little bit protected by the thickness of the bag.

This is about the nearest I've got:
www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_089011710460_-1. It's 46cm...

But I'm not sure if it's quite big enough and am just casting around for some other sources of v large totes as I can't seem to find what I need.

Anyone any ideas/inspiration?

bowchikkawowwow Tue 27-Dec-16 13:12:14

60cm shock that's not a bag that's a suitcase!

Pollyanna9 Tue 27-Dec-16 13:37:15

Nah! Although many many people have moved to using wheeled bags where I work!!

I don't want one of those though!

I just want a big bag that I can throw over my shoulder!

Dulcimena Tue 27-Dec-16 14:00:34

Just measured mine, it's about 40cm x 27cm and is plenty big enough for laptop, A4 files etc, but when full is too heavy for my shoulder so it gets handheld. I'm not sure that anything bigger would be safe to carry on your shoulder tbh, once you've filled it with stuff.

Could you get something reasonably sized for laptop and paperwork and carry an unstructured overflow bag, like a pliage or similar, for shoes, lint roller, jumper etc etc etc? (Do you really need to carry that much around btw?) Agree with bow that 60cm is a suitcase not a bag.

Pollyanna9 Tue 27-Dec-16 14:12:23

I might go for the one I put the link to then, see how that is. Can always send it back if I don't like it.

Thanks!!

DianaT1969 Tue 27-Dec-16 15:37:45

The one you link to has thin straps. I'd say no. As someone above said, the large Longchamp pliage seems to suit the requirements more.

PNGirl Tue 27-Dec-16 15:57:14

Scaramanga do big tote bags like this:

www.scaramangashop.co.uk/item/9577/1/Tote-Bags/Leather-Tote-Bag.html

Or they do weekend and flight bags which may work.

Pollyanna9 Tue 27-Dec-16 15:58:11

I see it. Sadly, it's outside of my budget from the ones I've just looked at.

veryveryquietly Wed 28-Dec-16 06:45:01

I also end up carrying tons of stuff on a regular basis, and I'd suggest a two bag solution or a wheeled bag rather than one giant one. A full huge bag of the size you're talking about will be very bad for your shoulders and back. That would also keep you from dumping tons of weight from those papers and folders on top of your laptop, which probably isn't good for it. I'd also go for the lightest weight bag you can, as the leather or PU or canvas of a large bag itself adds weight too.

What about something like this for laptop and daily essentials (from lint roller to jumper and shoes) and a separate tote bag for papers and folders?

You could also get one of those foldup totes from Paperchase and use that as a second bag when you have papers and files to lug around - I have one and they're surprisingly strong but also fold up very small and light.

jessicapearson Wed 28-Dec-16 06:51:30

what about a kipling art m, although there are wacky prints you could get a plain black one. not particularly padded but you could get a sleeve for your laptop. when it is not too full the corners turn inwards to make the bag look neater.

SillyMoomin Wed 28-Dec-16 06:57:27

LV neverfull. It's a tote, no innarsds soypu can shove loads in there

example of one for sale

SillyMoomin Wed 28-Dec-16 06:57:53

* no innards so you can shove

Stupid phone

BikeRunSki Wed 28-Dec-16 07:00:20

A synthetic bag won't last long, for durability you need leather. this one is big, leather and heavily reduced.

bingohandjob Wed 28-Dec-16 07:41:26

I use this for paperwork and iPad - can fit loads in and I have a small cross body for more personal stuff, phone, make up etc, www.radley.co.uk/pocket-essentials-large-zip-top-tote-bag-ef96be/ I like that it isn't covered in dogs and is easy to load and lug.

bingohandjob Wed 28-Dec-16 07:46:18

Should add that as I walk so much,I actually chuck it all in a kanken maxi at start/end of day - the tote is for meetings across my workplace cos whilst I don't mind looking like Dora the Explorer entering/exiting work I do give a nod to smartening up for meetings with external guests etc. The kanken is brilliant for lobbing everything in and the fact it unzips all way around makes it dead easy to access stuff. Works for me, anyway!

DustOffYourHighestHopes Wed 28-Dec-16 07:48:38

I would go for a massive weekend bag with a laptop pocket.

This one is brilliant, my friend has it. Really capacious, can take shoes, jumper, etc. but has padded laptop slot. The series is hard to get here but is Herschel's 'Strand Plus' series (you also get the Strand totes without the Plus laptop extras so beware). www.amazon.co.uk/Herschel-Supply-Company-Duffel-Strand/dp/B00EDHI4ZY

Pollyanna9 Wed 28-Dec-16 08:57:11

Wow thank you everyone, some really good ideas on here - just what I needed. I'll have a good look at them all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now