Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Perfume gives me a headache - do you think I can return even though open?

(22 Posts)
HeyMacWey Mon 26-Dec-16 18:45:35

Dh bought me some for Christmas - unfortunately it's a floral one and gives me a cracking headache. Pretty sure it's got gardenia as a base note. Obviously I've opened it, but what chance do you think I've got of getting a swap/credit note?

TataEs Mon 26-Dec-16 18:47:01

no chance. you have opened it and it isn't faulty.

CaraAspen Mon 26-Dec-16 18:47:48

No.

Whatslovegottodo Mon 26-Dec-16 18:48:38

Opened the box or the bottle? If the bottle absolutely not! If just the box and it's on mint conditions perhaps.
Otherwise facebook selling or eBay would be better options.

Paulat2112 Mon 26-Dec-16 18:48:51

Probably not. Might be able to sell it on Facebook/gumtree etc and get back most of the money

FannyWincham Mon 26-Dec-16 18:51:39

Pretty much nil.

What is it?

HeyMacWey Mon 26-Dec-16 19:01:42

That's a resounding no then and pretty much what I thought grin

Box open and one spray tested.
Will bung it on ebay.

It's the newest bvlgari omnia. Can't remember exact name but it's in a turquoise box and begins with a P grin
Luckily its the smallest size but feel bad for dh.

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Mon 26-Dec-16 19:02:32

Where did you buy it?

HeyMacWey Mon 26-Dec-16 19:09:31

Dh bought it from a posh dept store and still has the receipt.

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Mon 26-Dec-16 19:39:37

I would ring the customer care line and see what they say. Boots would exchange for an allergic reaction so I think there is a chance.

NoJimmyProtested Mon 26-Dec-16 19:54:44

I had this with Chanel Chance. I literally wanted to be sick every time i wore it. I sold it on Ebay for quite a good price.

Kerberos Mon 26-Dec-16 19:56:31

Personally I would try for a refund.

kerstina Mon 26-Dec-16 20:38:15

Snap I have euphoria bit too strong for me and gives me a headache and slightly tight chest !

FannyWincham Mon 26-Dec-16 21:01:38

If it's Omnia Paraiba then it does indeed have a gardenia note, according to fragrantica.

But - I'm boggling a bit at the idea of being given a perfume without ever having smelt it. Is this a thing?

Crispsheets Mon 26-Dec-16 21:17:18

My partner buys me a new perfume every couple of months.. always spot on.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 26-Dec-16 21:42:00

It's worth a shot. Boots is fantastic for credits or refunds even if opened ime so can't see why other places wouldn't be.

HeyMacWey Mon 26-Dec-16 22:06:58

Tbh it was a bit of a breakdown in communication between the dc's and dh.

HeyMacWey Mon 26-Dec-16 22:07:38

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they'll take pity on me.

MsMarvel Mon 26-Dec-16 22:09:12

If its literally been one spray, I would try and take it back. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

OhWellNeverMindEh Tue 27-Dec-16 10:17:05

Posted on your other thread too:-

I bought a Clarins one that is a derivative of my usual scent, gave me migraines, so they swapped it, no problem at all.

Good luck.

HeyMacWey Tue 27-Dec-16 10:29:48

Thanks ohwell didn't realise I'd double posted blush

neveradullmoment99 Tue 27-Dec-16 12:06:27

Sell it on ebay! As long as you have the box, you will probably get an ok price for it and be able to post it within the uk. [ There are rules regarding perfume postage but its mainly those - in its original box and post within the uk because it is flammable].
I doubt any dept store will accept you returning it tbh.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: