Talk

Advanced search

Wearing glasses for a 'night out'

(17 Posts)
mostimproved Mon 26-Dec-16 15:35:38

Any fellow spectacle wearers about who can advise me?!
For New Year I'm going to a fairly smart event, not black tie but cocktail dresses and heels etc. I hardly ever go to these things and have just realised I don't think glasses really mix with smart eveningwear! I can't wear contacts so my choices are either go without and risk blanking people I know/squinting across the table, or wear them and look a bit odd? These are my glasses and i am planning to wear a simple black sleeveless dress.
Also bonus question - if you suggest glasses, have you got any tips for makeup with glasses?!

Rockpebblestone Mon 26-Dec-16 15:48:28

Your glasses will look great with everything. Regarding make up, I don't think you have to do anything specially for the glasses - if you are unsure just check your appearance with glasses on and amend if needed. smile

Rockpebblestone Mon 26-Dec-16 15:50:01

If you really don't want to wear them, why not put them in your bag and then they are there for if you do need them.

NotTodaySatan Mon 26-Dec-16 15:50:19

Glasses with a nice black dress will look great. Wear them and channel your inner Lisa Loeb smile.

NotTodaySatan Mon 26-Dec-16 15:52:14

makeup for glasses tutorial.

Kenworthington Mon 26-Dec-16 15:57:19

Gah I wrote a massive reply then was faffing around looking for a photo to attach. I wear glasses full time. If I dont I can't see and would trip over (at best) . That wouldn't look very stylish or glam. This will totally out me but what the heck. This is me going to a very glam black tie ball. I still felt attractive in my specs! (In fact I now look weird without them)

ImprovingMyMH Mon 26-Dec-16 16:02:30

I think your glasses are really lovely, and will look great with a dress.

What does the glasses with makeup tutorial say? The sound doesn't work when I play it. I wear glasses with makeup every day - the only issue i have is that the makeup goes onto my glasses, so I have to give them a quick wipe at lunchtime, and check that my nose looks okay confused.

ImprovingMyMH Mon 26-Dec-16 16:03:17

Wow, Ken, you look fab!

charliethebear Mon 26-Dec-16 16:06:28

Your glasses will look completely fine. Especially with a black dress. Its better to wear glasses than not be able to see! In terms of make up, maybe a standout lipstick? But I don't think you need special makeup with glasses. You will look great
kenworthington you look incredible there!

Kenworthington Mon 26-Dec-16 16:07:20

Ha well thanks improving. And yes I do know my glasses are Prob too big for my face but I like them like that (before anyone says anything!).

Op- stick some highlighter under your brows and top of cheekbones and that will make a huge difference. If I dont do that I find my eyes just look a smudgy dark mess under my specs

mostimproved Mon 26-Dec-16 16:18:18

Thanks all for the replies. Kenworthington you look great, that has really inspired me! I will watch the tutorial for makeup inspiration, although I'm definitely leaning towards a strong lipstick and simple eyes as the glasses seem to dull the effect of eyeshadow etc.

OutToGetYou Mon 26-Dec-16 16:37:06

I wear glasses all the time, no choice. Bit hmm at you telling me they look odd with smart clothes.

Just wear them, doubt anyone will notice .

HiHoHeidi Mon 26-Dec-16 22:03:59

Look at the Frugality blog. Alexa the blogger wears glasses and is tres chic!

LadyOfTheCanyon Tue 27-Dec-16 19:01:56

Make sure you do your eyebrows. I wear glasses sometimes ( have had to over the whole Xmas period due to an eye infection) and going a bit heavier on the eyebrow pencil really helps ' frame' my eyes.

Petalbird Tue 27-Dec-16 19:05:05

Didn't know there were situation where seeing was a bad thing. Worn glasses since I was 3 though so they come with me wherever never thought about it....

littledinaco Tue 27-Dec-16 19:08:28

I love the look of glasses on a night out, think they look lovely with glam make up and big hair.
Your glasses look fab OP.

CMOTDibbler Tue 27-Dec-16 19:14:07

I wear glasses all the time - they go on my face as soon as my eyes are open, come off at bedtime and only come off to replace with prescription goggles or sunglasses. Otherwise I can't see a thing.

I am very short sighted, and think I need heavier eye makeup than I might otherwise, and generally prefer to wear my hair up for formal occasions to stop it hanging over my glasses

Love the look Kenworthington!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now