Talk

Advanced search

I don't know what to wear

(17 Posts)
giantbiscuit Fri 23-Dec-16 14:59:17

just that really - I have recently lost a large amount of weight (over 5 stones) going from a size 20 to a size 12. I am really proud of myself. I used to live in jeans and big loose t shirts or black trousers and shirts for work. It was more a case of being pleased to find something/anything that fitted.

Anyway...now I have no idea of what to wear. I don't have a lot of spare money. I own a few pairs of jeans and jeggins and a bunch of soft long sleeved t shirts, more black trousers and plain t shirt/shirt type tops for work.

I don't really know how to decide what suits me.
I should point out that I have always been big even at school so have always worn the same kind of stuff. I am now 44
any help/advice?

Oblomov16 Fri 23-Dec-16 15:08:26

Depends on your shape. Not all fashions suit all shapes. What shape are you? Do you have big bust, no waist, or great waist, hourglass etc?

giantbiscuit Fri 23-Dec-16 15:32:52

I have a fairly decent waist now. Big bum hips and thighs and no boobs anymore. This is a picture

dudsville Fri 23-Dec-16 16:29:42

Congratulations! And you look so happy! (I have no advice, just v impressed with your achievements! )

Jointhejoyrun75 Fri 23-Dec-16 16:33:06

You look gorgeous - and radiant! I'd suggest anything that defines your waist would look good, and some bright colours. Perhaps a fitted shirt or blouse with trousers. Short skirts would look nice as well, have a look at the Boden or Baukjen ruched skirt.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 23-Dec-16 16:35:55

If you're used to/like wearing jeans, how about buying a couple of pairs of really well fitting ones? M&S, Oasis and Topshop all do decent jeans on the high street. And maybe a couple of nice jumpers, some boots and a new coat?

junebirthdaygirl Fri 23-Dec-16 16:37:57

You look lovely so most things you wear will be nice. Get boots with a nice heel for your jeans and a smart, not expensive blazer and your fit to go. Hand M often have lovely soft blazers that are easy to wear with jeans. And you will find great stuff in Tkmax now when you are skinny.

Mrsmaudwatts Fri 23-Dec-16 20:15:54

You look fab!!! Well done on your weight loss!

Eliza22 Fri 23-Dec-16 20:32:07

Please....wear what you want. You look bloody amazing! And well done!

Bluntness100 Fri 23-Dec-16 20:34:37

I'd just like to say congrats too and you look great, that's a huge achievement, I'd suggest more fitted clothes and why don't you do s shopping trip, even if it's just trying stuff on to see what works for you and your lifestyle.

Silverdream Fri 23-Dec-16 20:43:52

I set myself a goal and it worked. Don't wear black trousers and a top combo. They were my stick them on that'll do clothes.
Over the year I have got more adventurous and black no longer is my go too. Blue , grey , khaki etc now replace it and it looks so much better.
I took things into a dressing room i wouldn't normally dream of trying on. Looked at the shape on me.
I found it really hard to wear something different to my norm at first. Not saying I look amazing but I feel I look brighter in my clothes. Go for it.

MollyHuaCha Fri 23-Dec-16 20:53:31

I'm with Eliza. You look lovely and so happy too. Any clothes will suit you smile

Liiinoo Fri 23-Dec-16 21:09:58

What an amazing figure you have! As PPS have said I am sure most things would look great and you definitely need to show off your beautiful waist.

Do you live near a John Lewis? They do a free personal shopper service that would be great for you. I am sure other places do them too and they would be ideal to get you to try new styles and shapes.

TanteJeanne Fri 23-Dec-16 21:10:56

You look great!!!! If I were you, I'd order a whole load of stuff online to try on at home. Take your time and see what feels and looks good to you. Order from somewhere like John Lewis which has lots of different labels/ styles- all for one delivery fee. Sale starts soon.

m0therofdragons Fri 23-Dec-16 21:11:14

Try on lots and see what makes you smile. You look amazing so can wear anything!

giantbiscuit Sat 24-Dec-16 21:44:36

Aww thank you all so much for the lovely comments!
It's so hard to pick stuff when I've been used to black black and more black.
I think that's a great rule to say no more black silverdream - I might try and go with that.
I'm not near a John Lewis, but will have a look online and also at TKMaxx (never really been in there before) so thank you for those suggestions.
Need to be a bit more adventurous now I think!

Thank you again

ephemeralfairy Sat 24-Dec-16 22:19:03

You really do look great! I'd second anything that shows off your waist, high-waisted trousers/pencil skirt with a nice shirt/blouse tucked in? Skater dresses are great too. Also I bet you've got good legs so maybe a short skirt and slouchy jumper in a bright colour/pattern??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now