Talk

Advanced search

Wet to straight straightebers

(10 Posts)
Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 23-Dec-16 09:28:56

Just wondering if these are any good? I'm useless st blow drying my own hair but a nice blow dry helps prevent thy flyaway from a ticking up and prevents frizz. I don't use my normal straighteners all that often.

I don't need perfectly straight hair, just wanting to manage the frizz and make my hair look better than when I just let it dry naturally.
I thought about those hot air stylers but I don't think I'd have the patience and my hair might be too long anyway.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

QueenofLouisiana Fri 23-Dec-16 17:09:05

I've got some, they do the job. I have thick hair, prone to a gentle frizz. Just be careful/ the steam when they dry is bloody hot (voice of experience there!).

PastysPrincess Fri 23-Dec-16 17:20:04

Wet to dry straighteners will DESTROY your hair. So if you are concerned about frizz control I wouldn't recommend them. I just blow dry and then use my straighteners on a very hot setting. It's better to use a hot setting once than have to use a cooler setting multiple times.

PidgeyfinderGeneral Fri 23-Dec-16 17:28:05

I agree with pastys. I can't see how they will do anything other than ruin your hair. A good heat-protecting product, dry, then straighten.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 23-Dec-16 21:59:49

Thanks. I don't use my straighteners much for that reason.
I haven't got the skill or patience to blow dry my hair properly. Maybe a different shampo would be better? I live in a hard water area which possibly doesn't help either.
I would like to have more put together looking hair but I don't think I can achieve that. Perhaps I will just have to live with frizz!

PastysPrincess Fri 23-Dec-16 22:21:37

Proper shampoo and conditioner make all the difference. I have frizzy hair too. Try something with coconut or almond in it as they are very hydrating.

How exactly do you blow dry?

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 23-Dec-16 22:40:14

PastysPrincess, what brands/products do you recommend?

I don't blow dry well or much. I do have a barrel brush but really lack the will to section my hair off and blow dry like the hairdressers do in the salon.

PastysPrincess Fri 23-Dec-16 22:53:18

I found John Frieda Frizz ease very good but expensive. At the moment I'm using this m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?path=%2Fen%2FBoots-Fresh-Coconut-Shampoo-500ml_1697608%2F&unCountry=uk
Which is very cheap and very good. I would also recommend using coconut oil on your hair overnight once a month.

Also do you have it cut fairly regularly? If not that would contribute to the frizz cos the damaged ends will split up the shaft.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 23-Dec-16 23:05:46

Ah, so not necessarily a salon brand. To be fair, my hair was less frizzy when I had a Toni and guy shampoo/conditioner, but I ran it and just bought something else.
I am not good at getting my hair trimmed, either. I get the frizz at the top of my head- the hairdressers say it is new growth.
I don't remember having this problem when I was younger and I never even had my hair cut back then! !

PidgeyfinderGeneral Sat 24-Dec-16 00:15:28

If I could blow dry my hair like they do in the hairdresser, I wouldn't need to use straighteners! grin

I rough dry with the hair dryer, then straighten in sections. Again, I think a decent hair dryer is worth having so the time spent with heat on your hair is shorter. A good heat protector and smoothing cream helps a lot too.

Regular trims are definitely worthwhile - mine gets trimmed every time I have a colour which is about every 8 weeks or so, so the ends aren't too bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now