Talk

Advanced search

Teach me about eyeliner please - which product, how to get a good shape...

(17 Posts)
Celeriacacaca Wed 21-Dec-16 21:28:09

DD is applying sellotape to me to help me achieve the right flick but I'm not going to be applying tape every time I want to do my make up...so, can someone please tell me which type of eyeliner is best and how to achieve a good shape.

I've just had a really short haircut and need to pay a bit more attention to my eyes...

Softkitty2 Wed 21-Dec-16 22:08:59

2 options the felt tip eyeliner so you can precisely draw it on. I prefer chanel or eyeko..
Or you can use an eyeliner brush and an eyebrow gel in a pot.. Mac, bobbi brown etc.. The key is what you are comfortable and most confident using. I personally dont like some of the drugstore brands because their liquid eyeliner comes out very watery or not really black and end up having to reapply which increases the chances of mistake.

For how to apply look at youtube videos

Softkitty2 Wed 21-Dec-16 22:09:40

*eyeliner gel i meant

Celeriacacaca Wed 21-Dec-16 22:46:48

Bump - anyone please?

I think I've tried all the felt tip type eyeliners and I swear by Barry M. It's cheap (about £3 or £4 I think), not too dark/thick/runny and works perfectly for me. Definitely worth a go!

Lesley1980 Wed 21-Dec-16 22:53:33

I use the Bobbi Brown eye gel in a pot. I like the BB eye gel as it stays on all day & evening - even the next day if you don't wash before bed. Your best bet is to go on you tube & get a tutorial or go to Mac or Bobbi Brown counter & ask for a demonstration.

LadyLothian Thu 22-Dec-16 05:07:22

I love Bobbi Brown gel. Lasts ages too.

As for shape, it just takes practice. My most successful New Year's Resolution was to wear eyeliner everyday for January. By the end I was much more confident.

What helped me was advice from Dita Von Teese. She says your eyeliner should look like sisters not twins - i.e. that as long as they look similar you're good - they don't have to look identical.

If you want a flick post-its are quicker than sellotape. I use mini post its because I find it easier than freehanding the edges.

LadyLothian Thu 22-Dec-16 05:08:56

Your eyes should look similar to each other, not identical.

That's what I get for posting at 5am! fblush

The trick with the shape is to follow the line of your lower eyelid up from the corner. This gives you an upward flick rather than a straight line which can end up drooping.

I love Clinique pretty easy eyeliner, very fine nib and easy to apply, or estee lauder double wear gel applied with an angled flat brush.

puglife1 Thu 22-Dec-16 09:00:00

Supercat by soap and glory is like a sharpie. It's so easy to use.

darksideofthemooncup Thu 22-Dec-16 09:01:08

Blinc superfine eyeliner works for me

darksideofthemooncup Thu 22-Dec-16 09:03:22

Actually it's called ultra thin not superfine !

ImprovingMyMH Thu 22-Dec-16 09:09:47

I need to learn how to do this too, great tips, thank you!

thethoughtfox Thu 22-Dec-16 09:20:27

Another vote for Bobbi Brown, Use the corner of a credit card to help draw your flick.

PoorAndRich Thu 22-Dec-16 09:23:56

Felt tip type until you get the knack of it. I'd go for the cheapest while you practise. Then try a gel with a brush once you get to grips with the type of line you're after.

Lots of practise.

I've always put liquid liner on with my open as opposed to closed.

Use moist cotton buds to tidy up any squiffy bits.

Dot a little liner near/through your upper lash line too. This will make the line and lashes look thicker.

Dulcimena Thu 22-Dec-16 09:35:03

I think it's finding what works best for you through trial and error tbh - for example I find felt tip liners really hard to use, but change the felt tip for a thin integral brush and I'm good to go. With gel/cream eyeliners the brush you choose will make a difference too, I have a v old Benefit one that's great but I've never found another one I'm as comfortable using.

On myself I prefer pencils because you can get a softer overall look, but it's harder to get clean precise lines (which don't suit me as well and can look a bit too harsh). All depends what works best for you really, there's an eyeliner for everyone...

youlittlecharmer Thu 22-Dec-16 10:00:35

close your eye, draw a straight line going in from where you want your flick to end inwards to where it meets your lashline. then draw in the 'bottom' of the flick from the corner of your eye, and fill in any gap that might be there. but it is mostly practice! i always go outside - in, find it much easier to get the right angle.

supercat by soap & glory is very good, collection do a cheaper version but it isn't as black. for gel pots, i'm using MUA's £3 version which is good and black, but does smudge very easily if you rub your eyes during the day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now