Talk

Advanced search

How many glycolic acid products should I use

(13 Posts)
ilovecherries Wed 21-Dec-16 16:11:45

I'm a bit of a skincare virgin, so be gentle! About 6 weeks ago I randomly picked up some Nip and Fab pads. I've been using them every second day, and I would say my skin does look clearer and my pores a bit smaller - or at least they no longer seem to be the swamp-like pits that swallow my foundation in 30 seconds flat. However, I've got the M&S beauty calendar and every second item seems to be a glycolic something. PLUS I've just been given the No7 glycolic peel kit, and some pixie glow toner and nip and fab glycolic serum and a scrub. So now I'm looking at my bathroom shelf thinking that surely I don't use ALL this stuff? I've got skin like an old boot, not sensitive at all, but even with my cavalier attitude to skincare I'm worried if I use all this my face will fall off, or something. Are these products all essentially the same and I should just use them up one at a time? Or should I be using stuff together?

littlepinkfizz Wed 21-Dec-16 16:29:32

Was wondering the same thing myself ! No idea but will be awaiting any replies!

Floisme Wed 21-Dec-16 18:28:23

As someone whose face nearly did fall off I would advise introducing them one at a time and waiting at least four weeks before you bring on the next one.

GloriousSlug Wed 21-Dec-16 18:32:34

I made the mistake of using several glycolic products over the course of a week and my skin was horrendous for a fortnight afterwards - dry and peeling in places but greasy and shiny in others and huge painful spots... Definitely ease yourself in, even if your skin isn't sensitive!

ilovecherries Wed 21-Dec-16 19:05:18

So is the ultimate aim to be using a few things? Using them daily? I was thinking that if I stopped the pads, I could use the No7 kit - which recommends twice weekly use. Does that seem reasonable?

FrustratedFrugal Wed 21-Dec-16 20:22:30

Do you know what glycolic acid does? It induces keratinolysis, that is, loosens up dead skin cells so that those can fall off. Once that has happened (cue: glossy, glassy skin) there is nothing further that you can do, more glycolic will only irritate more. Eventually you will damage the skin barrier.

ilovecherries Wed 21-Dec-16 20:32:42

Yep, that was my understanding. Then I got confused because there were so many products in the calendar, then these gift sets arrived, and I'm thinking maybe I had oversimplified the concept. Because why would I need a gift set with 4 different products if I'm not supposed to use them! My skin is def brighter than it's been for a long time, but the subliminal message I've been getting is that if some is good, more is better, and I wanted to do a reality check on that.

AteRiri Wed 21-Dec-16 21:13:06

Just one for me.

Floisme Wed 21-Dec-16 22:06:09

Sorry - I was rushing when I posted upthread and didn't word it very clearly. My advice to introduce them one at a time is the advice I would give about any new product. I personally wouldn't actually use glycolic acids at all as my skin is far too sensitive.

1horatio Wed 21-Dec-16 22:12:07

Once a week (the product I use says to use 1-2 a week).
But whilst my skin isn't super easily irritated it is quite sensitive...

ilovecherries Wed 21-Dec-16 22:30:55

Ok, I've cleared most of it off the bathroom shelf and into the top of the hall cupboard. The next time I will need to buy a glycolic product will probably be when I'm 70! Just hope no one gifts me any more for the foreseeable future. I've kept out the No7 kit, and used that tonight and if no adverse reactions will use it once a week rather than the suggested twice. Thanks everyone!

FrustratedFrugal Thu 22-Dec-16 18:32:42

I think glycolic acid is fashionable and everyone wants to be THE product for you. But in my experience you will need just one glycolic product. And when the sun re-emerges, high spf is essential - chemical peeling will make you more sun sensitive. I only use glycolic acid in Nov-Jan, salicylic acid is safer during sunny months.

Kennington Thu 22-Dec-16 18:58:04

I wouldn't overdo it. It is exfoliation. That's all. I imagine it will age you lots if overdone because the top layer of skin protects those layers underneath, particularly from uv. And sun cream isn't 100 percent anyway.
Everything in moderation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now