Talk

Advanced search

Skin under eyes sore/red/flaky - sensitive eyecream/moisturiser recommendation?

(22 Posts)
RoastChickenDinner Wed 21-Dec-16 10:14:07

As the title says!

I've been using Boots Witch Hazel and Tea Tree face wash and Nivea Q10 moisturiser for ages without a problem, then suddenly the skin under my eyes has become all sore. I think they might have changed the formulation of the face wash.

I tried the nivea Q10 eye cream which made it 100 times worse.

Any recommendations for reasonably priced, super sensitive face wash/eyecream/moisturiser which might help me?

mintmagnummm Wed 21-Dec-16 10:24:51

My goodness I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner using tea tree and witch hazel! These are both very harsh and irritating especially around the eye area!!
What's your budget? I love dermalogica ultracalming cleanser, cheapest from beautythings.co.uk or if that's out of budget lots of people hear swear by la Roche posay toleriane cleansing lotion which u can get from boots (I didn't get on with this tho but I am a weirdo when it comes to skincare my skin reacts to lots of things)

RoastChickenDinner Wed 21-Dec-16 10:50:36

Been using it for years with no problem at all, which is why I think they've changed the formulation.

I was looking for something a bit more 'high street' really - ideally that I could buy in Superdrug at lunchtime!!

mintmagnummm Wed 21-Dec-16 13:06:45

If there's a boots defo try the la Roche posay toleriane cleanser

1horatio Wed 21-Dec-16 15:04:47

That sounds very harsh!

I personally use an oil cleanser and a very gentle face wash...

as for brands... I like Elizabeth Arden some Shiseido products and weleda. (Their almond cream without any scent is awesome imo)

CaraAspen Wed 21-Dec-16 15:13:25

Think your skin might be sensitive to certain products. You might need to see your GP and get a non-steroid cream.

bunnybleu Wed 21-Dec-16 21:16:29

You could use plain Vaseline to soothe your eyes, I use this when I've had sore and irritated eyes from getting cat fur in them! Or a little aqueous cream.

BobbiPins Wed 21-Dec-16 23:15:33

Is this an allergic reaction? A tablet of Claritin will help (one tablet with a glass of water). If it is an sudden allergy, Claritin should make it better within a day or two.

bunnybleu Wed 21-Dec-16 23:19:48

Ooh yes, an antihistamine is a good idea. If your eyes feel sore you could try some opticrom eye drops too.

bunnybleu Wed 21-Dec-16 23:21:29

And also, Liz Earle Eyebright, kept in the fridge is very soothing and mild and on cotton pads while you rest your eyes is lovely for irritated eyes and shouldn't sting any dry skin.

violetgrey Wed 21-Dec-16 23:51:50

I would suggest using Cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser for a couple of weeks until your skin calms down. If you have Boots that carries French pharmacy brands La Roche Possay and Avene have an ointment called Cicaplast that could be applied on your under eye area to soothe it.

MrsderPunkt Wed 21-Dec-16 23:53:46

Simple eye ointment - the medical kind, not the brand name Simple. It's a tiny tube for a couple of pounds from the pharmacist.

bingohandjob Thu 22-Dec-16 07:46:53

This is lovely for very sensitive skin, it's light and soothing m.johnlewis.com/ren-replenishing-gel-cream-facial-moisturiser-50ml/p/1993230?sku=234404481&s_kwcid=2dx92700013407304661&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CjwKEAiA7ejCBRDlp8uF6ezPnjoSJAAPED7MlBa2Hh2QPi-Tc44cUoKoJIaTu_tm3g2sDYz8eJrokxoC5Cnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds# I've had terrible reactions under eyes but since following advice of beautician who advised sparsely applying an eye cream (I know some people don't rate them but it's really worked for me) using your little finger and pat in very lightly in wide circle good cm or so around eye so you circle your eye rather than go right in. I use a superdrug one which is great (and cheap) www.superdrug.com/Superdrug-Naturally-Radiant/Superdrug-Naturally-Radiant-Brightening-Eye-cream-15ml/p/516050. After years of trial and error I stick to Eve Lom Cleanser and use with a hot flannel rather than muslin cloth. I was delighted when I found it as I can use it was abandon and not react to it.

Floisme Thu 22-Dec-16 08:02:10

I use almond oil.

JC23 Thu 22-Dec-16 08:09:04

I sometimes get eczema around my eyes and I find aveeno moisturiser helps the most.

asmadasmax Thu 22-Dec-16 13:31:10

I have very sensitive skin and only use Eucerin cream for very dry skin, the one in the tube.

Ambivalentmum Thu 22-Dec-16 19:17:39

+1 for the Aveeno cream.
I had a similar problem after using lots of different eye creams. It was bad. The GP prescribed Aveeno cream and it calmed the skin around the eyes quite well. It is also brilliant as a hand cream. I've been buying the small tubes regularly since to make sure it doesn't go off. Hope it works for you, too fsmile

Ambivalentmum Thu 22-Dec-16 19:21:54

I also use Eve Lom cleanser, it never gives my skin any problems, but it's fairly expensive. There are lots of cheaper alternatives which might be worth trying, E.g. from Superdrug or Bodyshop.

Leviticus Thu 22-Dec-16 19:41:20

I'd use acqueous cream as a cleanser/wash and then Aveeno to moisturise.

Spam88 Thu 22-Dec-16 19:48:41

Ooh definitely stop the tea tree and witch hazel while your skin is like that, neither are very kind to skin. I'd second cleansing with aqueous cream for a little while.

twobambinos Fri 23-Dec-16 05:49:00

Cicaplast too heavy for eyes or so I as told by pharmacist when I had dry eyelids.
The recommended la Roche posey a light eye cream and to dab it on
Hope you get sorted soon op

dun1urkin Fri 23-Dec-16 06:22:58

I came on to say 'simple eye ointment' as well. I get dry, sore, flaky eyelids periodically, went to speak to a pharmacist, got this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now