Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I replace 10year old ghd's?!!

(15 Posts)
Happysea Mon 19-Dec-16 10:52:43

Hello
I've had my trusty ghd's for over 10 years now. They still work perfectly well but I noticed in the hair dressers last week that when she used up to date modern ones they just glided through my thick hair rather than needed to be pulled through like straw!!!! Is there a difference between ones now and ten years ago? Thank you!

Botanicbaby Mon 19-Dec-16 11:10:40

You say they still work perfectly well so as long as you're happy with the finished result, your hair, why change them?

PurpleMcPants Mon 19-Dec-16 11:14:42

I've had mine 15 years at least and still going strong. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

whitesklyer Mon 19-Dec-16 11:19:07

Got mine in 2001 or 2002 before my first dc was born, I don't use it daily but would put it on a few times a week. Its working fine. not very helpful but I don't think the ones being made today will last 10+ years

Happysea Mon 19-Dec-16 11:24:31

Thanks all! That's what I thought but suddenly wondered if I'm missing out on some special new thing! My old ones work, they straighten so I don't need anything else I guess! Thanks - my husband will be pleased as that's saved us over £100! 😂

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:37:26

Did she use a different product on your hair then you?.

I rough dry, bbh, then use ghds.

twobambinos Mon 19-Dec-16 20:29:06

Maybe use a straightening spray that helps my hair go smooth from straw like. Loreal 3 day straight. Beware if u spray it on a your hair over a laminate floor gets very slippery.
Also have my ghds for years upon years maybe because I don't use them everyday but I'll keep them until they go bust rather than buy a new pair

MissSmiley Mon 19-Dec-16 20:46:31

You're right. The new Ines are amazing. Totally different. My DD (11) asked for some for Christmas and because I had a 20% off code I got myself some too. blush

Shylo Mon 19-Dec-16 20:53:33

I think it's the product the salon used that's made the difference, not the GHDs

I too have GHDs that are over a decade old and I replaced them this summer with some new ones because I as convinced they must be better ........they're not in my experience, they definitely don't straighten my hair as well. I keep my old pair at my DP's for when i stay over there occasionally but I miss them I'm thinking of swapping them for the new pair

Nonky Mon 19-Dec-16 21:16:09

Ok so I think I need to use some product on my hair before straightening. I shall try the Loreal one. Thank you!!

Nonky Mon 19-Dec-16 21:16:40

Sorry! Logged in with a different iPad and it used my old name!

SausageSoda Mon 19-Dec-16 22:28:16

I bought mine in 2003 and they're still going strong. Think they're the longest lasting thing I've ever owned!

Anothernamechanger1 Tue 20-Dec-16 06:56:17

I have just replaced my over 10 years old ghds.... new ones are fab! My hair is straighter, they glid through my hair and don't 'pull' like my old ones and it stays straighter longer for some reason. I don't use any 'spray' other than heat protector and I use them every day on my wavy long hair.

hellsbells99 Tue 20-Dec-16 07:03:14

I am in the same position - old ghds that still work. I am having some new ones for Xmas but I have asked DH for the wider plate cloud nine ones.

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Tue 20-Dec-16 10:50:20

I think the old GHD's are fantastic, mine are also one of the oldest items that I own.

I would however like a pair of cloud nines as they have a temperature control and my current hairstyle only needs a light, slightly cooler skim over in places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now