Talk

Advanced search

Appalling customer service House of Fraser

(39 Posts)
deedeelondon Sat 17-Dec-16 06:48:26

Is anyone else experiencing problems getting a refund from House of Fraser?Over a month after I returned goods ordered on line - two of which were delivered faulty and damaged - I am still awaiting a refund. I have spoken to numerous customer service agents, including two senior members of the "customer care" team, sent proof of postage (twice) as there seems to be no record of my returns having been received back into the warehouse, and a copy of my returns slip showing which items I returned and why (again twice), sent many emails, most of which have not been responded to, all to no avail. I have spent hours on this and might as well have been banging my head against a brick wall. Nobody has yet given me a reason why my refund has failed to materialise, and everyone I have spoken to has given me different information about its progress through the system. I have been promised call-backs, which have not been made. The last communication I received from their team informed me that the matter was being referred to higher management, but I have no faith in this at all, as I received an identical email two weeks ago and heard nothing more.

It is now 34 days since I returned the items, and I am still no further forward. The incompetence of the customer service team is beyond belief, and the treatment I have received overall is nothing short of a disgrace. I do 99% of my shopping online, and I have never encountered anything like this before.

Softkitty2 Sat 17-Dec-16 09:15:15

Go on twitter to complain.. Usually gets companies to sort themselves. They do not like negative feedback for all to see.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Sat 17-Dec-16 10:04:54

I agree, complain on Twitter. I did that when I had a problem with my ISP, they sorted it out within a couple of hours.

SausageSoda Sat 17-Dec-16 10:07:30

I had the same - ordered lots of different swimsuits in various sizes after DD was born and planned on only keeping one. Returned the rest all in the one package (7 items in total I think) but they only refunded me for one. They refused to deal with the matter until 14 days has passed which doesn't apply in your case as you're beyond that. I sent proof of postage and they did refund eventually. I sorted out the matter via live chat - have you tried that.

Never had it happen to me before either and it's put me off ordering from them again tbh.

coolpotato Sat 17-Dec-16 11:35:44

Yep twitter and facebook, keep on and on at them. Facebook at least lets you write more. I find twitter harder as you have to be so concise!

That's shocking customer service though. Hope it gets sorted soon, and that they give you a bit extra after all the hop hah. Not that you'll want to order form them again.

I'd also check out Which! And your rights re Consumer Contracts - It's helpful to quote the law at them when they are blatantly ignoring it.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

PossumInAPearTree Sat 17-Dec-16 11:46:15

If they're saying they haven't received it you'll have to claim for a refund from the post office/Royal Mail. I had this with a return to joules and joules said it was nothing to do with them.

SausageSoda Sat 17-Dec-16 12:06:53

They said they hadn't received mine either. Obviously they had as one item was automatically refunded and it was sent back in the same package as the other 6/7 items. They didn't suggest I take it up with the post office so hopefully you won't have to do that.

rubybleu Sat 17-Dec-16 12:19:38

I've stopped ordering from HOF.

1. Went to pick up click & collect and was told I'd already collected it that day and asked for a refund. Totally impossible as I was across the other side of town in the morning. Had to pay for it again on the spot and they promised to sort it out. 6 weeks of back and forth with customer service until they finally admitted they'd refunded it onto someone else's card - by this point I'd given up and asked Amex to deal with it.

2. Few weeks ago - had a manager basically insinuate I was lying and had used PayPal when returning something picked up in store. Their system refused to take my card - pretty confusing given the problems I had in episode 1.

Their staff desperately need some customer service training, they are by far the worst of the department stores.

SilentlyScreamingAgain Sat 17-Dec-16 17:58:41

I'm was a long term HOF customer until this year when it became apparent, during a call to customer service, that the poor woman assisting me, couldn't actually read.

deedeelondon Sun 18-Dec-16 08:00:10

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. Yesterday in a furious frenzy I blitzed social media with my story and put negative feedback on all review sites I could find. I I also emailed the CEO of HOF with details of my case, and threatened legal action. Miraculously I received an email at midnight last night telling me that my refund had been approved!
I'll never buy from HOF again. A bit of online research yesterday showed me that they are doing very badly, and they have certainly behaved like a company just about to go into receivership!

glenthebattleostrich Sun 18-Dec-16 08:07:09

They are awful at the minute. I'm still waiting for a refund after returning a dress, they sent in the wrong size (ordered a 14 they sent a 12). Returned 2 weeks ago, still nothing.

I've given up on them, will stick to john lewis I think.

Helloooooitsme Sun 18-Dec-16 08:09:25

when something similar happened to me with Debenhams, they refunded straight away over the phone just relying on the fact I said I had returned it even though they could not find a record of it.

Sweetpotatoaddict Sun 18-Dec-16 08:19:48

I haven't bought anything from house of Fraser since my disaster 2 years ago when I ordered click and collect for a pick up a week later on one of their Fraser bears, as a special present for my baby boy. The fuckers took my money but emailed the day I was supposed to collect to say the bear wasn't available. It wasn't available because they'd reduced them all and sold them...... left them feedback etc.
Eventually another bear was tracked down on eBay by a friend. I've avoided house of Fraser since, I always assumed when you click and collected that was the product reserved for you, in this case they just seem to go round the store the day before your scheduled collection!! Even the lady in store said we had hundreds on Friday, I'm sure we must have one somewhere but to no avail.

CauliflowerSqueeze Sun 18-Dec-16 21:25:15

It's an utter pile of shit.

I had a collect+ service that went to a neighbouring town that I had to go and collect. This was unravelled after I went to the local collect+ and was told I had already collected it. Errrr no I hadn't.

Then today I was informed I was not allowed to cancel an order. I just had to wait till the delivery man came and send him away. And if a neighbour accepted the parcel then I would have to phone them and get someone else sent out to collect it.

Lesson for everyone:

Never ever shop online at house of Fraser. They aren't like Amazon and others. Their policies and customer care are crap.

CauliflowerSqueeze Sun 18-Dec-16 21:26:02

I actually phoned them this evening (3rd call today) and quoted them the line from Which? So that was helpful. Thank you.

deedeelondon Sun 18-Dec-16 21:46:19

What on earth is going on with HOF? I can't believe a major high street store is in this sort of mess. They're behaving like some dodgy fly-by-night outfit...

WildwestWind Sun 18-Dec-16 21:47:17

I've had loads of problems with them too. one delivery stunk of cat pee and another was so badly damaged I didn't even open it.

CauliflowerSqueeze Mon 19-Dec-16 08:29:02

If they can't keep up with the other big shops and have reasonable, customer-friendly policies then they shouldn't operate.

BiggerBoatNeeded Mon 19-Dec-16 08:45:10

They have the worst customer service ever. They just won't budge even when what you're saying is clearly true and they are clearly at fault. Shocking for what I'd always perceived as a higher end department story.

WholeL0ttaRosie Mon 19-Dec-16 09:05:10

I agree, their customer service is shocking. I spent twenty minutes on the phone with one of their advisors and he actually laughed at me (note: I wasn't fuming/ livid/ disgusted) because I said he wasn't solving my problem and we were just going round in circles.

In the end I was £20 better off, but after a fair bit of faffing on my part, so not only did their customer service leave me pissed off but they lost money too. A year or so later and similar bad service from them left me £150 better off!
They are absolutely shocking. Do not get me started on their gift card terms and conditions...

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 19-Dec-16 10:33:10

I'm surprised their still going. I use John Lewis for everything now although others on here have had problems with them too.

CauliflowerSqueeze Mon 19-Dec-16 11:02:43

John Lewis and M and S are 1000 times better.

The H of F customer service rep yesterday effectively told me I was lying. hmm

BiggerBoatNeeded Mon 19-Dec-16 16:54:12

I wish someone would share this link on social media so HoF can see it (I don't Facebook or tweet). It can't be a coincidence that we all think they're crap surely?!

CauliflowerSqueeze Mon 19-Dec-16 17:04:30

I'm so annoyed I didn't see this yesterday morning!! Obviously H of F couldn't give a monkeys otherwise they would have ensured their customer service was good.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Mon 19-Dec-16 17:06:27

I won't be using them as frequently either.

I tried to take something back last week that I had collected in store and asked for a refund. After them not accepting any of my usual debit and credit cards, I worked out I had paid on PayPal. Cue them not being able to refund in store and could only offer a gift card due to being paid on PayPal. I had to take my order back home, package it and post it back in order to get the refund. It only states in small print at the back that this is the case. Other companies manage to refund to PayPal in store so I don't see why they couldn't.

Rubbish service!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now