Talk

Advanced search

How to do a smooth blow dry without curling under at the ends?

(9 Posts)
Sunnyfeet Fri 16-Dec-16 08:46:59

I'm looking a bit 1970s at the mo - I've got a shoulder length bob, which looks smooth, straight and modern when the hairdresser blow dries it, but I just can't replicate this.

I use either a big round brush, or BBH, or hot air styler to get a smooth finish, but if I take this right to the ends, so that the ends are smooth, it seems almost impossible to avoid the 'curled under' look, even if I use straighteners afterwards.

What am I doing wrong?? I want the ends to be straight too!

Tessticklesyourfancy Fri 16-Dec-16 09:02:40

Maybe this type of hairbrush would help.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 16-Dec-16 16:53:52

I know what you mean, I have thick hair and I hate the mushroom shape it wants to go into.
I'd ditch the round brush, blow dry as straight as you can, then use ghd's or similar. Section off your hair and painstakingly comb and straighten each section. Keep the irons angled vertically to your head.

For a sleek swishy finish, I recommend a few drops of Elvive Extraordinary Oil on damp hair before starting. I love that stuff.

Sunnyfeet Fri 16-Dec-16 17:38:51

Yes, that's exactly the right word - MUSHROOM!!

Sadly the only way I can create smooth, straight hair, is to inadvertently produce a mushroom, anything with less 'curl under' is neither smooth nor straight.

Newbrummie Fri 16-Dec-16 18:29:27

Would flicking it out be an option ? I can never do the 90's poker straight once my hair is longer than my collar

MoBro Fri 16-Dec-16 21:37:16

Try a paddle brush to blow dry

Stanley38 Fri 16-Dec-16 23:15:08

I use a paddle brush and then take the straighteners over the ends only. I kind of try to make sure the straighteners are going straight down, if even slightly outwards.i have fine hair so I just do this in a "one-er" but if you have thick hair you could section it off to straighten it.

Sunnyfeet Sat 17-Dec-16 19:33:31

I've just ordered one of these, hot air styler with a paddle brush:

www.amazon.co.uk/Revlon-RVHA6475UK-Perfectionist-2-in-1-Dryer/dp/B013ETQMZU?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B013ETQMZU&linkCode=as2&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_tl&tag=rbc02-21

This may be the answer to my prayers, because I need some sort of hot air styling appliance for smoothing, but all these appliances have round brushes, which contribute to my mushroom hair. So this could be the perfect combination 😀

I will report back!

MyNewHobbyIsGin Tue 14-Feb-17 12:06:00

Sunny how did your new gizmo perform??

I had to search for this thread as I'm now growing out my hair and seem to end up with this really dull bob every morning, as its at an awkward length, somewhere between chin and collarbone.

Is this the answer?! Does it leave your hair flat at the roots?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now