Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for "speed dating" outfit

(24 Posts)
Pavonia Fri 16-Dec-16 08:14:12

Hi,

I have plucked up courage to book a speed dating evening in January. Now I'm starting to think about what to wear. I'm a bit nervous about it as you might imagine!

It is in a bar in London. I want to look attractive obviously, but not tarty.

I'm 47, 5 ft 1, size 10-12 (and dieting), pear shape, 34c. Brown hair.

I don't want to look too "middle aged" style wise. Recently I have been avoiding florals and careful about patterns. I do like a bit of colour. Not really a classic, chic kind of person.

I'm thinking a dress would be best. Hopefully I will buy something in the sales after Christmas.

I would welcome any advice or ideas.

FauxFox Fri 16-Dec-16 14:54:22

Have you seen the Tara dress from Hush? I haven't got it but everyone on here raves about it and it seems to have the right balance of sexy/casual www.hush-uk.com/womenswear/daywear/dresses_skirts/tara_dress.htm

Pavonia Fri 16-Dec-16 15:58:59

Thanks FauxFox, I hadn't seen it. I'm not sure if I would feel confident wearing it due to bottom hugging factor! Might need to try it on and see how it looks. Only seems to be available in S and XS. I haven't bought from Hush before, will need to get the tape measure out and check mys size. Good suggestion.

DianaT1969 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:06:16

I really don't get why the Tara dress is being promoted on here so often. It's just a jersey dress that clings unforgivingly to your thighs and if you have a booty it makes it look enormous. People on here also seem to have trouble styling it with shoes/boots.

Skinny or girlfriend jeans with heels and a silky camisole top would be a nice speed dating outfit IMO.
I hope it goes well for you!

Pavonia Fri 16-Dec-16 16:23:01

Thanks DianaT1969, I am concerned that the Tara may not flatter a pear! I suspect it is great on some people. I like the look of it on the model.

I do wear jeans a lot and I have just got some new ones that I like, but I'm feeling a bit self conscious about the size of my thighs at the moment which is why I am thinking about a dress.

Thanks for your good wishes, I'm really rather terrified about looking and feeling idiotic. smile

PocketFluff Fri 16-Dec-16 22:15:52

Is it likely that you'll be sitting down and/or moving from table to table?? That's how I always imagine speed dating events! If so, maybe concentrate on your top half and just make sure that your bottom half doesn't need lots of tugging down and readjusting!

PovertyJetset Fri 16-Dec-16 22:23:13

I don't like that dress!

It's a style cliche, but I think looks great-

Skinny/slim ankle grazer trousers or dark denim
Silky blouse, - little undone wink
Heels
Immaculate understated makeup
Hair the way you like it best
Manicure in a deep claret/navy or grey
Leather jacket or some sort of blazer
Big scarf

Done.

Well done you for signing up! I've heard they are a really good night out.

PovertyJetset Fri 16-Dec-16 22:24:12

Scarf to be taken off and just to keep you warm for getting to/from i should add

Pavonia Sat 17-Dec-16 12:43:36

Thanks PocketFluff and PovertyJetSet,

Yes , as I understand it the women remain seated and the men change seats. There will be an element of hanging around at the bar beforehand and in the break. I had assumed I would be sat at a table and hence bottom half obscured, but having seen some pictures of the venues that isn't always the case.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Pavonia Sun 18-Dec-16 13:02:52

Any thoughts on this dress?

Pavonia Sun 18-Dec-16 13:10:45

Or this one? (Thank you to whoever posted in another thread about the start of the Boden sale)

Pavonia Sun 18-Dec-16 13:16:23

Last one I promise!

Pavonia Sun 18-Dec-16 13:19:42

I can't see myself pulling off the silk shirt chic look. I don't usually wear nail polish except on my toes in summer and I don't wear heels much. Possibly I'm a lost cause!?

Patriciathestripper1 Sun 18-Dec-16 13:20:12

Really like the first dress! That would be lovely for speed date

Pavonia Sun 18-Dec-16 13:52:16

Thanks for commenting Patricia. I like that one best too I think, it looks more special. I wondered if people on here would think them frumpy?

I'm unsure what tights and shoes would go with.

Out of the three you posted, I like the first one the most. Do you have any shoes similar to what the model is wearing?

Sophieontoastie Sun 18-Dec-16 14:36:24

Those dresses are lovely but no way suitable for speed dating

Far too 'Mummy'

Pavonia Sun 18-Dec-16 16:05:45

Thanks for comments.

Sophieontoastie I'm finding it tricky to strike the right note. I don't want to look "mummy" but on the other hand I do want to be myself. Is it the style, the colour or the print that you think says "mummy"? I thought the dress looked pretty and feminine, but perhaps it is too "wholesome"?

Pavonia Sun 18-Dec-16 16:08:40

(In my comment above I was referring to the first dress as that seems to be the one people like best out of the three, myself included)

Decaff I don't have any shoes like the model is wearing. My wardrobe has to work quite hard so most of my formal shoes are black.

Pavonia Sun 18-Dec-16 16:19:25

Does anyone prefer this one. I'm not sure about sleeveless.

By the way, one the reasons I'm focusing on Boden is that they offer a petite range which is good for me.

Bluntness100 Sun 18-Dec-16 16:23:31

I think the first dress is the nicest too. It's quite dressy though so I'd maybe try to find out what others are wearing. Also are you comfy in dresses?

Personally I'd probably wear indigo skinny jeans, black suede high boots and a nice black shell top.

Ps I've just ordered the hush dress in black.not for going out to events in, but actually will wear it Xmas day as just family, and also wear it New Year's Eve, as have a load of friends here and want to be casual but trying to different from my usual jeans uniform detailed above, and past that thought it would be nice to wear at home instead of leggings and a jumper or whatever. If it's crap on, and I'm not sure what it will be like, I'll return it. Worth a shot as I like it on the model.

fartlek Sun 18-Dec-16 16:30:20

Wear what makes you feel comfortable and yourself. If you start a relationship with someone from speed dating then they'll get to know the real you anyway. Good luck! DH was met speed dating almost 10 years ago but even had I not met him it was still a fun night out.

Pavonia Sun 18-Dec-16 16:35:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pavonia Sun 18-Dec-16 16:44:16

Fartlek I agree that I don't want to pretend to be something I'm not. I just want to be the best me on the night!

I'm glad to hear that you had a positive experience speed dating. I am looking forward to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now