Talk

Advanced search

£1000 leather trousers

(116 Posts)
OlennasWimple Tue 13-Dec-16 02:08:00

I couldn't see a thread already, so apologies if this is a duplicate, but can we talk about the PM's leather trousers?

Firstly, how do you actually wear leather trousers without getting sweaty and sticky? (Or is that something that only happens with not real leather?)

Secondly, I can understand that they get softer and more comfortable as they are worn in, like jeans, but surely unless you wear them everyday by the time they are properly broken in they are a bit dated?

Thirdly, it is a lot of money on a pair of trews, isn't it?

PenguinsandPebbles Tue 13-Dec-16 02:09:40

I just think of Ross in friends

Floisme Tue 13-Dec-16 07:14:19

Not a fan of leather trousers - or leggings. Sorry everyone but I don't think leather and crotches are a good match.

Not a fan of Theresa May either but there are three things that make me warm a little towards her: Hillsborough, blocking Gary Mckinnon's extradition and the fact that she clearly likes her clothes. As that article points out, do people think Cameron and Osbourne bought their suits off the peg?

Newbrummie Tue 13-Dec-16 07:17:39

I think gorgon brown got his suits in the sale tbh .... The whole thing is just two fingers to the pelb. Duchess of Cambridge has more sensitivity.

NC1nightstand Tue 13-Dec-16 07:34:57

When I saw them I really thought nooooooo, but was mainly the trainers she was wearing them with, reminded me of a bad pair of Vans I once had that didn't work. Anyway, they didn't look like they were a grand, did she actually pay a grand for them or were they "gifted" to her? Usually something spendy like that would be evaluated on the cost per wear scale and she definitely has form for that, how many times did she rock those animal print kitten heals?
Ok so her politics are not my cup of tea but her obvious love of clothes is absolutely my thing. Maybe she bought them to reflect her recent achievements /pay rise. Maybe she bought them to support the economy and promote British made luxury goods ( they are Mulberry aren't they? I know they have factories in China but they also design and make their bags in Somerset. )
On balance she's a woman and I am much more inclined to see the positives, she has (hopefully) spent her own money on something that makes her feel great and that can only be a good thing.

sortthetacheoutbernard Tue 13-Dec-16 08:46:26

The day that the cost of Philip Hammond's suit is scrutinised is the day I will debate the cost of the PM 's trousers.

AmberNectarine Tue 13-Dec-16 09:08:18

The cost is irrelevant. They are horrible trousers. No-one should wear them as they are an affront to good taste.

However, I have a pair of leather leggings that set me back £700. I like them, I don't get a sweaty crotch (they are cotton backed, any well made pair will be) and it's my money to do as I please with, much like Theresa's.

LionsTeeth Tue 13-Dec-16 09:35:41

Even if she'd bought them from Primark I'd be unimpressed. They're a crime again fashion.

knowler Tue 13-Dec-16 13:29:27

OP yes, £995 is lot of money. But I bet it's a damn sight less than Cameron et al spend on their tedious suits. Did your concern over MPs' clothes budget extend to DC when he was PM? I doubt it. I don't particularly like TM's politics, but I do like the fact she's interested in fashion. It's her money - she has no kids, no other dependants as far as I'm aware - why not spend her cash on something that she obviously loves?

Lions they're not actually a crime against fashion - leather trousers are 'in' and TM's version is sold out online. Just because you don't like them... personally I find it pretty refreshing to see the PM wearing something different to a suit or a shirt tucked into chinos.

frostyfingers Tue 13-Dec-16 13:33:45

Up to her what she wears, leather trousers aren't for me but each to their own. FWIW I think she looks good - as knowler says it's nice to see her wearing different things, but even if she did wear "power suits" or whatever I wouldn't be judging her.

Floisme Tue 13-Dec-16 13:57:03

Ah cotton crotches - good to hear. Still not my thing but thanks.
Given Primark's history of using sweatshops - and I know they're not the only ones - I would not be at all impressed if the Prime Minister were a customer.

Kennington Tue 13-Dec-16 14:10:38

MPs are famous for going to savile row and spending 3k on suits.
It is expensive but she doesn't have kids so that must save her a fair bit!

OlennasWimple Tue 13-Dec-16 14:35:00

I think they are Amanda Wakely - I've only seen them in the picture of her sitting down, so not sure what the fit is like on her. I don't like the colour much, but maybe it's better in real life

On the cost per wear calculation, will this actually work out for her? As I said before, surely to get them really comfortable you have to wear them a lot, but they are quite high fashion and she isn't going to wear them every day. And when they are properly broken in they will be a bit outdated.

JohnCheese Tue 13-Dec-16 14:41:45

All I think is fair play to her. She likes them, she's wearing them, many others would not - as in they would stick to safe.

I don't like them but wtf do I know. Good on her.

Somerville Tue 13-Dec-16 14:48:23

She knows what she likes and generally wears it well.

I'm not 100% convinced by those trousers but as PP's said; difficult to see the fit and the colour from a photo.

On cost per wear - I bought my leather trousers in 2000 and wore them a lot when I was younger and now probably an average on once a month in AW. They're a good shape on me which is how I choose trousers rather than whatever shape is fashionable at the time. But the reason I don't wear them more now is because I struggle with what shows/boots to wear with them. Same issue the PM is having, from the looks of it!

PoohBearsHole Tue 13-Dec-16 14:55:57

They are hideous.

However, I don't have a problem with her spending £995 on a pair of trousers. I would if I liked them and they were comfortable and I didn't have children sapping away all my cash grin.

She is usually quite stylish, so perhaps these were a £1000 blip smile

ChocoChou Tue 13-Dec-16 15:33:45

I have some skinny leather jeans that were £1000 and I love them. No sweaty crotches or camel toes here grin

FrickOnAStick Tue 13-Dec-16 15:37:49

Are they bootleg ?! shock

VeryPunny Tue 13-Dec-16 15:38:12

I think more power to her elbow, to be honest. Aside from the absurdity of discussing her wardrobe full stop.

And to be honest, a PM with a demonstrable interest in fashion is far more relatable to me than any ex Etonian.

*disclaimer: I own a pair of leather leggings.

EssentialHummus Tue 13-Dec-16 15:40:14

Don't like them, don't like her.

If the trousers were a more normal colour and she was less of a xenophobic cuntpuddle there'd be a debate to be had.

GrumpyOldBag Tue 13-Dec-16 15:43:53

I would rather have Nicki Morgan's £1000 Mulberry handbag than Theresa May's leather trews.

Oh, and by my reckoning that makes Morgan the hypocrite.

ZippyNeedsFeeding Tue 13-Dec-16 15:50:39

I don't think it's necessary to criticise her fashion choices when she has given us so much else to work with. If anything, it makes me feel (very slightly) more warmly towards her because a woman in authority genuinely can't win and will always be criticised for things which are a total non-issue in relation to men.
I wouldn't buy them myself, but if she wants leather trousers then I see no reason why it's my business any more than David Cameron's tailors' bills are.

SmilingButClueless Tue 13-Dec-16 15:51:23

I don't like them, particularly with the top she's wearing in the photos. It reminds me of one of those books you used to get where you could flip the pages and have different top and bottom halves!

No issue with the amount of money spent, though. I know a lot of people who spend that type of money on a bag, or a suit, or a coat, or jewellery...

bowchikkawowwow Tue 13-Dec-16 15:56:53

shock they cost more than my car!

imjessie Tue 13-Dec-16 16:05:32

I've got some gorgeous ones from h and m which look leather but aren't . I Lubs them and they look schamazing and simple with a knotted jumper .. I will link if you are interested OP .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now