Talk

Advanced search

No spend 2017 (and this time I mean it)

(198 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Sun 11-Dec-16 09:10:37

Who's up for this?
I wanted to do this this year, but clearly was not ready. I've done lots of thinking about minimising my wardrobe, reading Kondo, the style threads etc and am ready to move away from fast fashion and towards those fewer items that genuinely make me feel good wearing them. I'd like 12 months of wearing what I have, and donating what I just don't enjoy. I am definitely finding my own sense of style, and it's simpler and more adaptable. My wardrobe is growing up! I've acquired a few quality items this year that won't really go out of style and will hopefully last a long time. I plan on paring down what I already have and saving a packet on not buying any new items.
(I will replace bare essential items like tights and undies. These arent for fashion though are they, they are just necessary so they don't count!)
I hope to save up a nice chunk of cash doing this!

Would anyone like to start this journey alongside me?

FrustratedFrugal Sun 11-Dec-16 09:43:11

I'll do a cosmetics no-spend and clothes low-spend. I struggle with overshopping and my goal is enjoy my existing wardrobe more (by tracking what I wear and committing to wear each new item at least 30 times). I'd also like to downsize my wardrobe a bit.

Floisme Sun 11-Dec-16 11:20:12

I'm not planning a no-spend - I'd never stick to it - so feel free to kick me off the thread. But my aims are:

1. No random buys unless second hand. Gaps in the wardrobe, replacing old favourites or trying out a new look will all be ok but I want every new purchase to be a considered one.

2. Recycle existing wardrobe. I'm cautiously getting out my vintage stuff after a 20 year break and reappraising what I can still wear: not, sadly, the bias cut frocks or the tea dresses but the 40s/50s/60s jackets work well with a modern outfit and they actually fit better now that I'm older and er....let's say curvier. They're in.

3. But no limits if buying second hand, be it charity shop, vintage or dress agency. So I can still indulge my rummaging habit.

RealHouswifeofBury Sun 11-Dec-16 14:53:14

I will do a cosmetic no spend and a clothing ( only if its needed) spend.
I have way too many cosmetic and perfume.

FiveShelties Sun 11-Dec-16 18:17:52

I am committed to a very, very low spend on clothes and cosmetics - I know I cannot do a no spend, tried and failed before. I have more than enough clothes, cosmetics and general stuff so would love to join in and actually get to the end of the year with a very low spend figure.

VerytiredbutVerynice2016 Sun 11-Dec-16 18:29:42

Haha think I've been doing this without knowing for the last couple of years!

My wardrobe probably dates back to 2010. I see old photos and think "God I'm still wearing that!"

Couldn't tell you the last time I bought make-up - might have replaced my mascara earlier this year but it might have been last!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 11-Dec-16 18:47:12

I think I did better in 2016 than other years.
I bought very few Summer clothes, we went away in October so I didn't need much new except swimwear.

No new handbags this year.
I bought boots (not worn them yet) and work shoes .

For my birthday I bought jeans and a coat.

My Mantra is "Walk away and think for 24 hours", unless it is something I've really been looking for (I bought a soft pink jumper on Black Friday but I had been looking at cashmere so this one -woolmix- was cheaper)

Next year, I do not need anything except underwear .
I still have things in my wardrobe unworn ( white blouse, black jumper type) so they won't date.

Don't need make-up, shampoo or conditioner (though my DD will buy loads - I buy for her).

I'm doing a Month-Month so I'll write down what I need/what I think I need and maybe buy online or order to store (M&S) . At the end of the month I'll decide if I still need it.

BlueEyedWonder Sun 11-Dec-16 19:09:01

I made a good start to low spend in 2016. Then I fell off the waggon around June time and reverted to old habits.
Once again I'm striving for low spend, less things and a simpler life. I don't need any more winter clothes so need nothing before April. That will be my first goal.

WomanFromAnotherPlace Sun 11-Dec-16 19:50:11

I'm going to try this too. I've wrote down a couple of items I definitely need (new black/brown boots and pair of black shoes). Also underwear and cosmetics that completely run out.

Whattodowithaminute Sun 11-Dec-16 19:50:48

Would love to join. Need a good wardrobe overhaul following nearly six years of pregnancy and breastfeeding dictating a certain style. Have made a few purchases recently which should be enough for the next six months or so anyway. Cosmetics need a commitment to use up without further purchase; maybe even use one of my many mascaras?! I'm in.

WomanFromAnotherPlace Sun 11-Dec-16 19:52:02

I'll be doing mine on a week-by-werk basis. Any tips for motivation, or keeping track of spending?

AnotherPinkiePieStory Sun 11-Dec-16 20:13:05

I so want to be part of this! I am terrible at being brilliant for ages and then buying a lot of just average things. My wardrobe overflows and bathroom cabinets are better (after MN intervention) but I think I can do it. Better also include books too as I have bookcases groaning!
I need to remember that there's always another chance to buys no need to panic buy.

So my plan is underwear and handbag only. If I lose my last 3.5kg I will also have even more to choose from in my own wardrobe!
Cosmetics is only blonde shampoo/ conditioner, dental stuff or contact lens stuff.
I never need buy moisturiser! Phew fingers crossed. The money saved will go in a holiday pot!

AnotherPinkiePieStory Thu 15-Dec-16 10:37:29

Uh oh did I break the thread as everyone saw through my weak promises?!? fgrin

MsRinky Thu 15-Dec-16 10:40:46

I'll join you. I was very restrained in 2015, but this year much less so.

applesandpears33 Thu 15-Dec-16 10:51:15

I'm in. I want to reduce the amount I have been buying. I think I bought about 17 items of clothing last year and I want to buy even less during the coming one. My exceptions are essentials and clothes I need for work.

Checkedstripes Thu 15-Dec-16 15:40:12

I'm in. I buy way too much rubbish that never gets worn or used!

Itsautumn Thu 15-Dec-16 16:11:33

I'm in too, low spend for me as I don't think I can commit to no spend. I don't want to buy any clothes until I have lost 5kg! And then only pieces I absolutely love, that fit well and I will wear regularly. I don't need any beauty stuff for at least 6 months and will only buy essentials.

Dulcimena Thu 15-Dec-16 16:13:53

Hmm I think I am in too. I end up with random purchases when I'm browsing without a real purpose - I spend far less when I permit myself to buy but make a list of the specific items I am interested in (usually planning to buy instore things that I've seen online). Half of what I thought I wanted I don't like in person and I don't get distracted by anything else.

So I would love to get into the habit of identifying a few things every month that are actual gaps, or replacements for things I've worn out.

I've been looking for the right pair of Oxfords for months now and I need to replace a black work jumper that's very tired. Other than that I really don't need anything...

Bearsnumberonefan Thu 15-Dec-16 22:41:05

I'm in. Zero spend on cosmetics and clothes unless absolutely essential.

Mirandawest Thu 15-Dec-16 22:47:05

I'd like to do this. I have a fairly minimal budget for clothes anyway so shouldn't be too hard but I do sometimes get things I don't really need.

Will keep a record of what I spend and see exactly what I do purchase and how I can cut back.

chrispenrallt1 Fri 16-Dec-16 07:25:59

I would like to be in too. Over the last 17 months I have lost 7 stone, so of course I have had to buy new stuff. I had a massive clear out and 11 bags of clothing went to the charity shop. After going mad this year buying summer clothes etc I would now like to just work on the wardrobe I have now. I still have some stuff that needs to go, but it's a great feeling reducing the wardrobe as you have reduced yourself!

LadyLothian Fri 16-Dec-16 10:36:48

I would like to do this too. I'm not sure what my parameters are yet - I'm trying to lose weight and am applying for more corporate style jobs this year which will necessitate buying some clothes. I don't think my self-employed work wardrobe of tatty pyjamas will see me through!

Definitely in for reducing my spend though. I also want to focus on buying less higher quality items.

boldlygoingsomewhere Fri 16-Dec-16 11:16:07

I think I will join in with a low spend. Am aiming to source clothes from charity shops and dress agencies. Hoping to buy a few good quality items as needed. I'm ok pretty much for winter/spring although could do with a couple of replacement dresses work and some smart black ankle boots. Tights/underwear will be replaced as needed.

Warm weather clothing will be an issue- I really struggle to find anything half decent. Won't have to think about that until at least April though. smile

LadyLothian Fri 16-Dec-16 11:28:46

boldlygoing I was thinking of having one day a month when I can spend money on clothes? That way if I need a new pair of work shoes I can buy them on the last day of the month or something.

But if I see something on the 14th, I'd have to hang on until the last day of the month to buy it. If I still want it two weeks later then I really want it and it stops impulse buying. You also get a full idea of what you're spending because it all goes out on the one day. It's very easy to fool yourself when you spend it in small dribs and drabs across the month.

It'd probably be more difficult for you because you're using charity shops and once someone buys something you can't get another one! We have no good charity shops around here, more's the pity. Ours just stock videos, chipped ornaments and broken toys.

boldlygoingsomewhere Fri 16-Dec-16 12:47:20

That's good advice, LadyLothian. I may have to widen the parameters to sale/outlet shops so I'm still not paying full price for something. I might set myself a budget of no more than £50 per month - if I don't spend it one month, it can roll over if necessary if I suddenly find I need something more expensive. I doubt I'll spend anywhere near that amount as I don't buy clothes every month anyway.
My summer wardrobe really is non-existent. I was having a sort out and don't have any sandals, trousers or skirts! All I have are a couple of tops and one dress!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now