We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

That time of year! Do you send your DH/DP S&B 'hints'? If so. what do you want?

(11 Posts)
Laska5772 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:43:54

My (lovely) Dh is always stumped , so I do send hints ( he asks me to ) .
I do try and keep then quite broad though because surprises are nice and he has good taste .
So so far I have sent him to Hush (am hoping I get the star silk Pjs) Cowshed, and to the Plumo website (with no other instructions other than i dont like their dresses much..)

I've also sent him my Kindle wish list and a couple of jokey things --that I really wouldnt mind getting actually , (but wont sadly) -an adult micro scooter and a Beatles yellow submarine lego kit

What have been your best 'hints'?

WhooooAmI24601 Tue 29-Nov-16 21:27:25

Nope I do direct instructions. He is a wonderful, thoughtful man with astonishingly bad taste in things I want. So I write him a list of obscene and less-obscene gifts I'd like (this year's list contains mainly Mulberry goods, holidays in Cuba and some Charlotte Olympia shoes I've been lusting after) and he'll usually pick his favourites and go with them. Last year he totally surprised me with a trip to somewhere I'd been aching to go to forever, and a Hogwarts lego set I didn't even know I wanted. That was his best ever win.

He likes surprises though, and I buy lovely gifts, so he never needs to write a list.

Lottapianos Tue 29-Nov-16 21:32:39

Hints would be a waste of time but I'm asking for Boots and John Lewis vouchers. I want the Charlotte Tilbury perfume and Bitch Perfect lipstick, Clarins Instant Concealer and a bronzer, not sure which yet

Laska5772 Tue 29-Nov-16 21:54:10

Well I suppose mine are instructions really.. i did send him out last year ( just before Christmas as he had failed to pick up the birthday hint ( birthday is 2 weeks before christmas ) to a certain smart jewellers , having previously made sure the jeweller would put the right sapphire solitaire earrings in front of him ..!!

I actually really want these but I just cant do it ..

whhoo are they the kitty slippers? so cute..

woodhill Tue 29-Nov-16 21:56:23

Yes or I buy what I want and he reimburses me

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 29-Nov-16 23:03:38

Mine is pretty good, although would never buy me clothes/makeup - he is excellent at perfume and jewellery, so I never bother with hints or a list.

JaceLancs Wed 30-Nov-16 00:41:45

DP is excellent at choosing perfume for DD and me
I have put in a request for a diamond pendant, which seemed to go ok, clothes wise I wouldn't dare, but he has been known to 'step in' at the till and pick up the tab at this time of year!

phoolani Wed 30-Nov-16 00:59:05

I send him direct links. Otherwise he'd get me stuff which I like ok enough to feel bad about returning/throwing out 6 months later but don't really like enough to wear/use. I send him about a million links and he picks, so I'm still surprised but in a good way!

sycamore54321 Wed 30-Nov-16 01:05:26

I do like surprises but it is somewhat unfair to expect a surprise to be wll selected in the cosmetics department where he has zero experience and will likely feel daunted by the unfamiliar. So if asked for guidance, I communicate the rule of get the smallest thing you can get in your budget from the most luxurious brand - this can mean one lovely brush from MAC or a fab Chanel lip balm instead of a Boots 15-pack of cheap lipgloss or a huge foaming bath set in extravagent packaging. It hasn't let me down yet.

acornsandnuts Wed 30-Nov-16 01:12:22

I once took my DH to a jewelry shop. Showed him the necklace I would like. He then secretly gave his mother some money, described the necklace to her and asked her to buy 'something' like it in Turkey while on holiday. Arse.

IT wasn't remotely like the lovely necklace I pointed out.

HooArghhhEwe Wed 30-Nov-16 01:23:23

I send email links. He's pretty good by himself though tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now