Formal wear that do NOT ride up - help!

(11 Posts)
CookieDoughKid Mon 28-Nov-16 22:03:12

I went to an interview today (yay!) and I wore this plain and lined navy shift dress from Next.

I am hour glass shape (used to be pear but recently toned up masses from gym work outs therefore my hips are now the same width as my shoulders!). Anyway, I am a ''curvy'' size 10 (yes that is possible!)- I have hips, tiny waist boobs and bottom.

Now I wore this to an interview this morning with a slim belt to show off my waist. And I also wore tights underneath. Everytime I walked it kept riding up above my knees! It would be fine for the first 10 steps but anything longer than a 2 or 3 minutes, the dress kept riding up! Are these shift dresses meant for only 'boy hipless'' figures? If not, what's the secret to prevent skirts and dresses riding up as they always seem to on me! TIA.

KanyesVest Mon 28-Nov-16 22:58:51

I think it's the tights. I find dresses like that are fine bare legged in the summer, but the static with tights is a pita in the winter. Not that I've managed to figure out a solution.

burnishedsilver Mon 28-Nov-16 23:07:26

You need a silk or satin slip.

TeacupDrama Tue 29-Nov-16 13:54:17

my mother would say you needed a petticoat !

Losgunna Tue 29-Nov-16 13:56:25

Yep you need a silk slip! They stop dresses and skirts riding up and also keep you just that bit warmer too

CookieDoughKid Tue 29-Nov-16 23:37:06

Ok. So its a slip made of actual silk right? Not a cheap polyester version often found in the high street? Thanks so much for the replies!

Losgunna Wed 30-Nov-16 12:00:20

Silk is best but cotton satin works well too and is less £££. Id avoid polyester (unless you want to sweat like a polar bear in the jungle)

NicknameUsed Wed 30-Nov-16 12:09:02

But the dress is lined so a slip shouldn't be necessary.

I am more interested in how you became an hour glass from a pear. What exercises worked for you?

burnishedsilver Wed 30-Nov-16 12:18:04

I suspect that the lining and the tights are both man made and causing friction/static as they rub off each other. I think you need a smooth natural fibre in between them.

Justmuddlingalong Wed 30-Nov-16 12:23:08

Spray hairspray over your tights before putting your dress on. It stops the static from making your dress stick and ride up.

CookieDoughKid Wed 30-Nov-16 22:01:41

Good tip about the hairspray. Will try that one and order a silk slip in the Jan sales. Sorry - the following is long but I feel passionate about sharing what I have learnt. Feel free to skip and this is no longer about silk slips!! LOL.

Nickname I kid you not when I say I used to have thunder thighs. I have always had "big" legs, big calves (pre-exercise I had 15.5 inch wide calves!!) and wide hips. I was muscly but with a lot of fat on top. I am only 5ft, had huge size 12 hips, saggy bum and thighs coupled with a tiny size 8 waist + narrow shoulders. Size 12 is not fat by any means but if you are only 5ft, it really is "out of proportion" if the rest of your "natural bone shape" is skinny boned. I was like a triangle with flabby chicken fillet arms too. Urgh.
This mean that jeans, any proper tailored trousers, everything I wore bottom half screamed "thunder thighs". I absolutely hated it and used to cover myself with long skirts.

I had had enough. I can't really healthy food like I should. I love carbs, bread and rice etc. But the 2 things that I do now is

1) Eat clean as much as possible. I cook from raw everything if I can. Eg. For dinner this evening - I cut up chicken fillet in small pieces, cover with flour salt and pepper and fry that in a large dollop of butter as my version of bang bang chicken coupled with rice and a lot of veg. Yes, there's butter and carbs but nothing there is really from processed packet food and I'm now not afraid of eating fat. I eat a lot more fat but good fat (cheese/butter/bread dunked in yummy olive oil). I still eat cake and treats but portion wise - it will be just a few tablespoons of cake or 4 small chunks of choc pieces. I will eat what I want to eat - the difference is, it is far more moderate. My need for a big pudding is a lot less as my tummy is so full from a proper meal.

2) Exercise. Actually the hardest thing is starting it but I grit my teeth and just DO IT. If I got out and did ONE class a week, that was a big achievement. I now exercise x3 a week as I'm fitter and can take the pain more. The exercise I do is typically Hiit exercise and running on treadmill. I do ANY exercise I my fancy - like body pump, jogging, running, Zumba, aqua, body conditioning. I hate MOST exercise actually but what I found was that I needed to sweat for it be effective. I'll do an hour of pilates but top it off with 15mins fast run on treadmill and I'll be totally sweatin - because of the run, not the pilates. If I am NOT sweating by the end of the class (and I mean dripping) then it would have been a waste of my time because I know my metabolism hasn't been raised high enough for fat burning (and once raised,it's raised for the rest of the day - not just the exercise session). I think what's the point of doing this exercise if I am not fat burning?!

Fat burning exercise like lunge jumps, burpees, skipping etc is especially effective but you don't need to go crazy. Just make sure 10-15mins or so of the more "really hard" exercises is incorporated to make your heart raised will do the trick . The main thing - is to keep moving. Do that x3 week and your body will transform. My calves are now 14inches wide, reduced by 2inches (still big but now all the fat is gone and I no longer need special wide calf boots anymore YAY!) and my thighs and waist have reduced by a whopping 2.5 inches in circumference. Waist and shoulders are now similar width, flatter tummy, smaller bum and arms have toned up like Kate Hudson!

Do both the above regarding diet and exercise and you will see fast results within 3months. I'm now 12months on and my body shape has really transformed without the need for sacrificing what I love the most - which is Chocolate, carbs and cake!!

Think I might repost this is exercise and diet section smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now