Talk

Advanced search

Growing out crop when pregnant/breastfeeding

(7 Posts)
caramelgirl Sun 27-Nov-16 22:24:18

I'm seven weeks pregnant with #3 and aged 38.
Bit of a surprise and I had been planning on growing out my short crop.
But, if all goes well, I will be pregnant/breastfeeding for the next 18 months or so.
Previous hairdressers have told me that hair quality is appalling as baby leeches all the goodness away.
Do you think this is true? Growing out will be painful enough anyway, would be v sad if I end up with thin straw like attempt at long hair.
Thanks for any advice.

bonzo77 Sun 27-Nov-16 22:34:19

My hair was always amazing in pregnancy. I'd say now was the ideal time to grow it. Only down side is you'll still probably be just at the end of that awkward in between phase asthe post partum hair falling out starts (3-6 months after birth for me). But just keep it smart with regular trims and it will be fine.

JohnCheese Sun 27-Nov-16 22:37:15

The baby leeches all the goodness away??? shockhmm. Nice statement. hmm Maybe she's talking about the post-pregnancy hair loss? There is definitely that. But I don't agree with her about breastfeeding affecting hair growth. She's wrong. Afaik breastfeeding does not affect hair growth.
FWIW I breastfed continuously for about 5 years, never noticed anything different with my hair. Grew it, coloured it, ate well, ate badly, was totally knackered, hair stayed perfectly healthy. Eat well, it'll be fine.

caramelgirl Sun 27-Nov-16 23:19:30

Ooh, that is hopeful then. Swishy hair here I come - maybe by my 40th...

TheTroutofNoCraic Mon 28-Nov-16 20:38:51

I'm 15 months post partum and never shed my hair, which pregnancy thickened up amazingly. I breastfed til 12 months.

abigamarone Mon 28-Nov-16 21:31:49

When pregnant my hair always grew at the speed of light and whilst already thick, got even thicker. It shed after both births but the condition was never affected.

hecallsmebunny Tue 29-Nov-16 19:50:53

Currently breastfeeding a 9mo and have long hair - condition is pretty much as good as it's always been!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now