Talk

Advanced search

What's your skin care regime if you're in your fifties

(21 Posts)
asmadasmax Fri 25-Nov-16 08:51:31

I'm early fifties and all I do is wash my face with warm water and apply eucerin moisturiser every morning blush I have sensitive skin so do need to be careful what I use.

What's your skin care regime if you're a similar age? Should I be using serum, night cream etc? Any brands you can recommend that are suitable for sensitive skin and won't break the bank?

SantasPantsalive Fri 25-Nov-16 11:55:58

I really rate the Vitamin E range from Superdrug. I particularly like the hot cloth cleanser. (I used to use Liz Earle but needed to save some money).

I just cleanse, tone and moisturise but have just upgraded to a night cream as well as a day cream.

I have in the past occasionally used serums, eye creams, etc but find I don't carry on as I can't really be doing with the faff at bedtime.

BagelGoesWalking Fri 25-Nov-16 12:36:56

I'm just into my 50s and I also have very sensitive skin. I've also never really used much on my face. I use Aveeno moisturisers for body and face. This one at night and morning.

I've just started using things from www.suneetacosmetics.co.uk (after a Mumnset recommendation! Their Golden Turmeric Skin cream is lovely and you only need a tiny amount each time. The Mandarin & Calendula Cleansing Balm smells amazing and didn't give me any reaction after using. They also sell a lot of sample sizes which is really good. I'm definitely buying a lot more for Christmas!

Makeup - I can use the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind concealer without irritation.

slug Fri 25-Nov-16 13:38:36

Nivea creme in the blue pot. Cheap, good for sensitive skin and does the job.

Ta1kinpeece Fri 25-Nov-16 13:40:13

wash face with water and a face cloth morning and evening

put on vaseline cream morning and evening and after the gym

thats all

asmadasmax Fri 25-Nov-16 15:20:36

Nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't spend a fortune on all sorts of potions grin

Unfortunately I react to Nivea. I'll stick with eucerin, just wondered if I need a serum or something to keep the lines in check.

BakeOffBiscuits Fri 25-Nov-16 15:31:48

I'm 50 and hot cleans with Boots No 7. I'm not one for faffing about with expensive stuff but I do now use the Boots No 7 serum. I hardy have any wrinkles but my skin is starting to sag around my jaw so I feel I need a bit of help.

I don't actually think much works though. If it did, there would be no need for plastic surgery or botox. So I don't see the point in spending a fortune on something that is only going to moisturise anyway.

Floisme Fri 25-Nov-16 18:59:03

I'm 60 and I also have a simple routine as I developed very sensitive skin in my 50s, probably as a result of trying out too many products.

I cleanse and moisturise with oil - normally almond or wheatgerm, add a sunscreen and that's usually it. I might add a bit of extra moisturiser a couple of nights a week but the only ones I trust are Nivea blue pot, Dr Organic olive oil cream or Neals Yard Frankincense cream.

My skin's pretty good. I think there's a lot of scare mongering about wrinkles - the sagging and loss of definition are far worse, at least in my experience.

ginorwine Fri 25-Nov-16 19:24:49

I use Cacay oil from Holland and Barrett or occasionally 8 hour cream from Elizabeth Arden . Frankincense oil from neals yard is fab too ( I run out and don't have one locally hence ended up trying other stuff )
Anything pure and ritch - oil or serum first then moisture cream on top ( at night ) to trap it in !

Ta1kinpeece Fri 25-Nov-16 19:28:14

I have Gym friends in their 50's 60's 70's and 80's
the common link among those who look good is
"less is more"

botox and fillers are fine, but they are a slippery slope unless you have the strength to say "no" beyond a certain point

a well moisturised toned face works much better wit the rest of the body ageing than an out of place face

DelphiniumBlue Fri 25-Nov-16 19:29:18

Aldi Night cream, and Boots Perfect & Protect serum in the morning. I try to remember to do exercises for jawline tightening.
My skin is pretty good, and I put that down to genetics, and avoiding the sun for the last 20 odd years ( loved sunbathing when I was young though). I always wear sun protection and/or a hat in summer.

asmadasmax Sat 26-Nov-16 02:38:59

My skin's not bad, I've never really been a sunbather, which might have helped.

Can you point me in the direction of exercises for jawline tightening?

SantasPantsalive Sat 26-Nov-16 17:21:45

I think Eva Fraser is the queen of facial exercises. Not tried it myself but a friend is a convert.

Julius02 Sat 26-Nov-16 17:29:15

I agree that the sagging is worse than the wrinkles!

I'm a bit of a sucker for products so do tend to chop and change. I like La Roche Posay face wash as my skin can be a bit oily and spotty and at the moment as it's winter I use it in the evening and Body shop vitamin E face wash in the morning. I've used lots of expensive moisturisers in the past but for the last year or so have been using the Aldi Caviar day and night creams and my skin has never looked better.

Paperdolly Sat 26-Nov-16 17:33:32

Another fan of Aldi range creams and serums here! Cheap, lovely smells and they seem to work. The caviar ones seem worth paying that little bit extra for.

specialsubject Sat 26-Nov-16 18:10:30

nothing works except surgery or poison injections. The beauty 'industry' is all lies dressed up as 'helps reduce the appearance of'... Strangely oh-so-ethical-right-on MN is happy to support it.

sunscreen, don't smoke. Smiling will age you but who wants to look miserable the whole time?

asmadasmax Sat 26-Nov-16 20:01:51

Thanks grin

Nearly bought No 7 serum at £25 ... But can't really afford at the moment so put it back

PollyPerky Sat 26-Nov-16 20:19:48

Save your money and buy avocados, walnuts, almonds, salmon- and eat! Far better results. And exercise outside. Avoid sun, booze and sugar.

I'm your age -ish and use a very basic cleanser- Garnier Micellar water at the moment- followed by Olay 3 point Regenerist (Amazon does it cheaply.) And that's it. I use spf sun block 25 or 40 every day and have done for 25 years. No wrinkles and good skin (I'm told.)

Ta1kinpeece Sat 26-Nov-16 20:35:07

I swim outdoors year round
I do not use sun block in the UK
yeah, I have wrinkles - I'm 51 so who cares
CBA to do anything much to my skin
love wine and martinis

BestIsWest Sat 26-Nov-16 20:49:28

I use Neal's Yard Frankincense Nourishing cream. Sometimes I use the oil.
Occasionally I use a Liz Earle face mask.

The thing that has helped me the most is diet though. Less sugar and dairy, more good fats. Also Dr Stuart's Skin Purify tea.

asmadasmax Sun 27-Nov-16 13:42:41

Thanks for the link to Eva Fraser ... I was hoping for YouTube videos or just photos, blush not to have to pay for lessons ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now