Talk

Advanced search

Please find me a party dress

(13 Posts)
mummysmellsofsick Thu 24-Nov-16 17:54:23

I have two young DC and haven't been to an adult party for nearly 8 years! I need help! I have looked in various places, mostly John Lewis, Boden, Whistles, but I can't find anything I like. Ideally I need sleeves, knee length or just above, not too shiny or blingy, not too dull, neckline not too low or high. I'm very hard to please. Some of the shops I used to shop in 10 years ago now scare me! I feel old... I'm a size 8 or 10 and slightly pear shaped, small bust & waist, bigger but not that big hips and thighs. Help! Thanks

InterchangeableEmma Thu 24-Nov-16 20:16:00

this is stunning .Maybe too short, maybe fine. Depends how tall you are modelis 5'9"

DelphiniumBlue Thu 24-Nov-16 21:25:17

I have just bought a lovely green velvet shift style dress, with elbow length sleeves and round neckline. It's stretchy but not clingy ( don't quite understand how) and really flattering - slightly above the knee. It also comes in black. It was less than £30 from Tesco online, but looks fab on!

www.tesco.com/direct/vila-velvet-bodycon-dress/736-0777.prd
It actually looks much better on me than on the model - I got XL and am an 18, so you'd probably need Small to get a flattering silhouette.
I also thought this was nice from Monsoon uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.6/1428700708

margaritasbythesea Thu 24-Nov-16 21:41:18

Nice dresses!

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 25-Nov-16 05:53:45

The Pretty Dress Company has one at the minute called Fatale which I love (and bought in navy velvet for a party this weekend, but it's not here yet, so I'll probably just wear it to do the hoovering and go down the chippy in). And it's 25% off this weekend. All of their dresses are pretty lovely, though.

www.theprettydresscompany.com/fashion/Fatale-Red-Velvet-Pencil-Dress.html

mummysmellsofsick Fri 25-Nov-16 19:50:16

Sorry I didn't come back yesterday I fell asleep with the dc. Thanks for suggestions. The pretty dress co one is gorgeous but I think probably a bit too sexy for this party... want colour but not red...

mummysmellsofsick Fri 25-Nov-16 19:53:08

Like the monsoon one but I think above knee AND bodycon type fitted style is too much for me...

mummysmellsofsick Fri 25-Nov-16 19:58:11

Ooh like this though have forgotten how to do links [http://www.theprettydresscompany.com/fashion/Hollywood-Apple-Three-Quarter-Sleeve-Pencil-Dress-5703.html]

InterchangeableEmma Fri 25-Nov-16 21:45:11

(Op's dress here )

That's a lovely shape, I'd love if it wasn't for the bows.

this is rather similar
less structured, a lovely cut

FeralBeryl Fri 25-Nov-16 22:04:01

I've just got this one - I certainly don't look like that in it grin but it's very flattering

InterchangeableEmma Fri 25-Nov-16 22:48:58

This is beautiful. Over budget?

Rioja123 Sat 26-Nov-16 09:39:27

Have a look on la redoute lots in the sale

mummysmellsofsick Tue 29-Nov-16 15:10:34

Oh I love your second to last link InterchangeableEmma. And FeralBeryl that's gorgeous though I'm not really in the mood for such a full skirt for this party

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now