Talk

Advanced search

Just had my hair dyed for first time ever and confused about shampoos etc to use

(7 Posts)
GodReastieMerryGentlemen Thu 24-Nov-16 11:02:09

My hairdresser said I should look for sulphite free shampoo and conditioners with colour on my hair (I had permenant), I've just checked my cupboard and I have an Aussie conditioner specifically for coloured hair that contains sodium sulphite confused . Most of my hair products contain sulphates and I'm not sure if they should be avoided as well as sulphites and generally feeling very confused.

Could anyone help with what I should be using?

In total confusion I'm going to wash my hair in baby shampoo and conditioner which turns my hair into a fluff ball but even that has sulphates confused

VenusRising Thu 24-Nov-16 11:17:48

Nooooo, not baby shampoo!

Try a conditioning shampoo and a heavy duty conditioner like the Aussie one.

I'm afraid you're on the slippy slope now having moved to the dark side of hair colouring..... there's no way back!
Look for a good quality colour safe shampoo and intense conditioner. Kerastase products from the hairdresser are good. As are bumble and bumble. Nice and easy do a conditioner in a tube in boots.

But stay away from baby shampoo!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 24-Nov-16 11:24:54

Sulphate shampoos can cause the pigment in hair dye to fade slightly faster but it won't suddenly wash it all out if you use a sulphate shampoo. Colour will fade a bit whatever you use in my experience. Shampoos marketed for coloured hair generally contain uv filters as sunlight will also fade the colour and added moisturisers. Heat styling also causes it to fade.
L'Oreal do a sulphate free shampoo you could try, there are a few out there but most are really expensive.

See how you get on. The sulphate ingredient is what helps the shampoo to lather so it's more difficult to lather up with sulphate free. Sulphate also removes oil very effectively so if your hair gets greasy it might not be for you.

Red dye is the one that fades very quickly so extra care is needed for that.
I dye my hair and just use my normal shampoo and conditioner to be honest. The only one I avoid is anti dandruff shampoos, they strip the colour out like nothing else.

GodReastieMerryGentlemen Thu 24-Nov-16 19:43:05

Thank you for this, I've ordered some stuff online and in the mean time th baby shampoo wasn't too terrible I put loads of styling stuff on afterwards to defrizz . Didn't realise th dark side of colouring hair would involve special hair care too! My hairdresser said occasionally any old shampoo is fine, so thinking of doing a weekly (I wash every day) supersonic strong wash.

dementedpixie Thu 24-Nov-16 19:45:40

I just use standard colour care shampoo/conditioner from the supermarket. I like L'Oréal elvive

Brillenbar Thu 24-Nov-16 21:46:38

I sencond the elvive in the red bottle. I have used loads of different shampoos for coloured hair Inc the expensive ones and I think elvive is so much better. And it's cheap and doesn't make my eczema play up.

GodReastieMerryGentlemen Fri 25-Nov-16 06:50:14

That's v useful brill, once I've used up my recent order of shampoos that will definitely be next on the list to try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now