How did you do your make up when you were at school?

(133 Posts)
Staystrongitsnearlytheweekend Wed 23-Nov-16 19:15:23

When I was about 13-16 (about 20 years ago now) I used to buy Laura Paige powder from my local chemist (not seen that brand for years) and put loads all over my face. I hadn't discovered liquid foundation so just used the powder hmm I probably used a shade too orange too blush

I then wore Rimmel lipstick in coffee shimmer or this really pale frosted pink lipstick.

I think I used mascara but that was it.

I scraped my hair back into a pony tail on top of my head, using half a bottle of hairspray and finished off with a scrunchie.

swooosh Wed 23-Nov-16 19:16:31

13 years ago: orange foundation with 'tide marks', blue or black mascara applied about 40 times and roll on cherry lipgloss.

HunterHearstHelmsley Wed 23-Nov-16 19:18:43

Badly?!

Too dark foundation applied liberally. Badly applied mascara. That's all I think!

Gracey1231 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:18:58

i used to live and breathe fake tan and used a foundation called studio fix fluid, rimmel eyebrow pencil, rimmel pencil eyeliner, eBay 10 pairs for £2 eyelashes and Barry m marshmallow lipstick! also had bright red hair so can imagine that all clashed nicely

ThisPasadenaHomemaker Wed 23-Nov-16 19:20:27

Foundation two shades too light.

Nothing on my hideously overplucked eyebrows.

No bronzer. Natural blusher.

Mascara.

Rimmel Heather Shimmer or a weird purple one they did, can't remember the name.

If I was going out it was the same but with lots of black kohl.

Wasn't great.

pugsake Wed 23-Nov-16 19:21:50

With a trowel.

I'd like to say I've learned to tone it down...

I also have bright red hair.

pinkmagic1 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:22:24

I had face powder off the market called Constance Carroll or something similar, with a sponge to apply. I would use loads of black eyeliner, applied to the inner rim and frosted pink or black cherry lipstick!

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 23-Nov-16 19:23:51

Dyed my hair red, shed loads of black eyeliner, batshit nail varnish - alternating orange and blue nails for example.

TheFlounder Wed 23-Nov-16 19:24:00

Terribly, 14 year olds these days have some serious make up skills!

ByeByeLilSebastian Wed 23-Nov-16 19:25:19

I had a favourite bright blue eye shadow that I would apply liberally along with my eyeliner. That was it thankfully, I still looked a state!

W8woman Wed 23-Nov-16 19:27:02

30 years ago. Rimmel Hide the Blemish which came stuck to the front of a magazine and was not the right colour but I used it anyway.

Body Shop blusher, their very jammy lip balms and their sheer lipstick which I'd love to find again - it just made you look as if you'd been eating cherries and would evade the detection of the teachers.

Several of our teachers did get out the wet flannel of shame but never used it on me <goody two-shoes>

SaltyBitch Wed 23-Nov-16 19:28:00

A shit tonne of eyeliner and concealer on my spots.

I was a goth.

blueskyinmarch Wed 23-Nov-16 19:28:14

I was a teen at school in the 70's. I don't think I wore make up at school. Out of school I wore electric blue eye liner and mascara teamed with iridescent pink eye shadow. Pale pink lipstick completed the look. Can't recall blusher or foundation at all. A liberal dousing in Charlie completed my toilette.

TheCatsWhiskers Wed 23-Nov-16 19:35:25

Body Shop compact (foundations/powder?) which was 2 shades too light even though I'm the most pale person on earth.

Body Shop Rosewood lip/blusher stick which had a more chalky texture than actual chalk.

Boots No 7 Wheatshead eyeshadow, clear mascara (had blond eyelashes) and Rimmel kohl black eyeliner on the inside of eyes.

Dyed hair way darker than it should have been but left my eyebrows blond.

This was the height of fashion at our school blush

Although luckily I didn't shave my eyebrows and draw them back I with liquid eyeliner as some of my friends did.

We must have looked a right sight grin

W8woman Wed 23-Nov-16 19:35:26

We all wore Body Shop Dewberry. ALL of us. We ALL wore floral Laura Ashley ankle length dresses, Doc Martin's, white ankle socks or primary coloured tights, and denim jackets. Or navy blazers, white t-shirts, distressed men's jeans, and loafers. I still wear that look now

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 23-Nov-16 19:35:58

Oh God, the dewberry stuff! Yes!

TheCatsWhiskers Wed 23-Nov-16 19:37:33

Oh yes W8woman & blueskyinmarch, lots of bad perfume too. Exclamation or Charlie Red was the height of sophistication.

choppolata Wed 23-Nov-16 19:38:48

Leichner Clown White foundo, baby powder, liquid eyeliner cat tails on eyes. Black eyeliner on lips at the weekends. Ahhh happy days!

W8woman Wed 23-Nov-16 19:40:24

It was the fashion to never cut your hair and wear it one long length which you would then flick from side to side.

Eyeliner and that's it when I was in school - they were pretty strict. When I left and went to sixth form college I went fully goth, lots of dark make-up and learning how to draw designs with liquid eyeliner, back combed chin length crimped fringe and rather a large amount of elnett hairspray.

bluebump Wed 23-Nov-16 19:43:04

Lots of eyeliner, mascara and Rimmel black cherry lipstick!

W8woman Wed 23-Nov-16 19:43:19

You all sound so London.

Suburban Oxford had no goths until about 1992 and I've still never seen a mohican there grin.

RockyBird Wed 23-Nov-16 19:46:42

80s teenager

Leichner greasepaint Orange foundation
Powder or bronzer all over, Arabian Glow
Pink and white eyeshadow in vertical stripes (not joking)
Electric blue mascara and eyeliner
White eyeliner inside lower lid
Pacific prawn lipstick
Or Paparazzi pink lippy

All set off with huge permed hair

My 12 year old does her makeup so well you can't tell she's wearing it...she could teach my 13-19 year old self something

TurkeyTwazzock Wed 23-Nov-16 19:47:21

I didn't wear make-up every day. I was a vain little thing an believed in my natural beauty grin.

On nights out I wore scarlet lipstick, clear mascara and nowt else. early 90s chic <that my story anyway>

Diamondsandpurls Wed 23-Nov-16 19:48:33

Just opened this to say Heather shimmer and dewberry but also ananya-amazing!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now