Talk

Advanced search

Down coat

(14 Posts)
Ifyoubuildit Mon 21-Nov-16 23:07:44

Super warm but flattering down coat that doesn't cost the earth (I'm talking to you Moncler) but is lovely. I can invest a bit as it's for Christmas...

timeforachangeithink Mon 21-Nov-16 23:11:41

Lands' end?

Wolfiefan Mon 21-Nov-16 23:12:41

Waterproof or just down?

Ifyoubuildit Tue 22-Nov-16 08:13:19

Water resistant ideally but not waterproof - with a hood would be good.

I got a couple of lands end ones to try but they're huge on me, even in a extra small. DH said I looked like I was wearing a upturned jar of branstons!

poisonedbypen Tue 22-Nov-16 08:29:01

Uniqlo

OCSockOrphanage Tue 22-Nov-16 13:11:21

It's not going to help unless you live in the SW UK, but a trader in our local market sells stuff from a French brand called Mousqueton; the stall has some quite nice down jackets at the moment. The fit seemed to be quite sleek, and about £60.

I had a look online, and the website is still showing summer stuff so not much point in a link.

BigGreenOlives Tue 22-Nov-16 13:12:10

Geox?

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 22-Nov-16 13:15:48

North Face Arctic parka... (investment price but not Moncler)

BeastofCraggyIsland Tue 22-Nov-16 17:15:57

Not sure how much you mean by invest, but this is one of the best (and smartest) everyday wear down coats on the market: www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=gb&language=en&model=Cerium-LT-Hoody-W

It's super warm, lightweight and looks gorgeous on, Arc'teryx stuff is slim fitting. I have the Marianas dark blue colour and pretty much live in it for everyday wear. It's a good balance between function and 'fashion'. This is also a good option: m.cotswoldoutdoor.com/rab-womens-electron-jacket-a4214657?id_colour=123.

Arc'teryx or Rab gear is better quality and more functional than North Face or Jack Wolfskin etc. which are more fashiony brands, but it depends what you're looking for really. I'm a total outdoor gear addict, so could talk about this stuff all day grin

BigGreenOlives Tue 22-Nov-16 19:51:39

Beast Those are both jackets rather than coats. If you are walking around with children or dogs you need something longer.

CruCru Tue 22-Nov-16 20:17:24

Do you like this?

BeastofCraggyIsland Tue 22-Nov-16 20:17:51

I don't have children but I use both of those for dog walking year-round, as well as hiking, climbing, bouldering etc. as we live right on the doorstep of Dartmoor. They're both very warm, water resistant and flattering down coats/jackets/whatevers but if they're not what she's looking for it's no bother. If it's a less technical parka-style thing then this might be a better suggestion: rab.equipment/uk/womens/insulation/deep-cover-parka

sammy891 Tue 22-Nov-16 20:24:06

Zara have some down coats in at the moment.

ElzBelz Tue 22-Nov-16 20:28:26

After a recommendation on here a couple of years ago I got a merrell isadore, I love it, it's really warm, bum covering, not too bulky and has a hood. I have an xs and it's quite slim so don't think you'll have the same problem as with the lands end one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now