A Crepey Advent-ure

(999 Posts)
MontserratCaballe Mon 21-Nov-16 18:21:02

Over here, my darlings....

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Mon 21-Nov-16 18:29:10

Thank you sweetie flowers

hattymattie Mon 21-Nov-16 18:34:27

Phew - well done Monty. Was looking for thread in a panicky manner and now can't remember what I wanted to sayconfused

NUFC69 Mon 21-Nov-16 18:58:11

Love the thread title.

It's throwing it down here, I can hear the rain hammering on the conservatory roof. I am replete and settling down for an evening of doing nothing. I did look at the Anthropoligie website earlier, but my nearest store is in Edinburgh unfortunately.

motherinferior Mon 21-Nov-16 19:03:55

Clocking in...
Time to put the dinner on. And take DD1 to task about a slightly disappointing school report.sad

Blackduck Mon 21-Nov-16 19:48:27

Here.... Having waded home. Nice lunch where we dissected the bonkersness of the place we work..... Now early night...

motherinferior Mon 21-Nov-16 19:49:38

DP is on the phone about Guess Fucking What. His dinner is now distinctly unappetising.angryangryangry

hattymattie Mon 21-Nov-16 19:58:45

Really annoying re DH and meal MIangry . DH does this occasionally but it is generally work related.

We seem to be stacking up the disappointing school reports this term.

bigTillyMint Mon 21-Nov-16 21:03:40

Well done Monty!

motherinferior Mon 21-Nov-16 21:08:19

Am trying a sheet mask (the new garnier hydrating one, was only 99p). I'm so s&b.

MrsFilthPacket Mon 21-Nov-16 21:47:33

Love the thread title.

Went into work today and ended up leaving at 1915, but feeling much better now (apart from the long day).

Called my mother re Christmas and asked her when she wanted DH to pick her up. She told me (long pause for dramatic effect) that she wouldn't be coming to us because:

She didn't feel welcome

It wasn't Christmassy enough

All she did was sit in a chair

All we did was eat, drink and watch telly.

We didn't go anywhere

We didn't play any board games

I just said, that's fine, have a lovely time in Eastbourne with Edna.

In my defence of the above:

DH schlepped out to collect her and took her home again after Christmas rather than her coming on the train.

We had a 7 foot tree that was dripping with decorations, fairy lights a go go and Christmas music playing non-stop. What did she want, Santa's Fucking Grotto?

We offered to take her to see her brother, her sister-in-law or her friend, or anywhere she wanted to go. She didn't want to go anywhere. She wouldn't leave that fucking chair.

What is wrong with eating, drinking and watching telly at Christmas? And the food didn't cook itself - she could have peeled a potato.

We did play Monopoly. And Uno. She refused to play because "DD2 cheats and you always win Monopoly and it's not fair." grin

I'd put good money on her and Edna falling out big time, the hotel being like God's waiting room and her hating it. I hate to say it, but the relief of her not coming for Christmas is huge.

Rang Cousin Z to rant, and she said not to worry, I'd never be able to please her and not to bother trying, and that everyone knew how difficult she was.

CointreauVersial Mon 21-Nov-16 22:38:56

Ooo, lovely new thread!

MrsS - as you said earlier - win-win. Your DM will be ruining someone else's Christmas this year.

MI - just don't answer the door in that mask; you'll scare small children. grin

Here, DS came home from school with a black eye and a great bash across his cheek. Apparently, he and his mates were taking it in turns in belting each other in the face with their schoolbags. hmm This passes for entertainment in the sixth form common room, apparently. I did express some parental concern at first, but I think DD1 voiced it better. "You're a twat."

ishouldcocoa Mon 21-Nov-16 22:52:31

Well, MI - has it worked? You now looking like a peach???

I would suggest that you repeat the excercise next Halloween. You'd cut down on your trick or treaters pretty swiftly grin

Seemed to achieved diddly squat today. Probably because I woke at 0320 and never went back to sleep. It's been like wading through treacle.
I have achieved stuff. Just not as much as I'd like.

Rosebag Mon 21-Nov-16 22:55:23

Checking in. Thanks monty! Am on tube home from seeing six very delicious young a Capella singers. Oh but they are quite wondrous!!!

Auriga Mon 21-Nov-16 23:52:49

Of course, MrsS, your mother could have got her own way without hurting your feelings. But then it wouldn't have been the same. She reminds me of my own dear MIL who weaponised every family occasion.

DCat has become a lapcat all of a sudden. Lovely but inconvenient, as she pins me to the rocking chair every time I sit down. DDog is insanely jealous. Lots of jostling and swiping going on <sigh>

DD's finger is barely any closer to that UCAS button. Does anyone know about Politics courses?

Collymollypuff Tue 22-Nov-16 00:08:57

I like the idea of weaponising Christmas, Auriga. MrsS, I suggest you quote that a lot at your mother.

Thanks for the new thread, Monty. MI, that is a great pic. Rose, envy smile

hattymattie Tue 22-Nov-16 06:35:31

Cocoa - hope you slept better - I know that feeling well.

Mrs S - Chrimbo is eating, drinking and watching telly. Hope she doesn't change her mind again.

Off for my annual gingerbread house decorating session. Will try not to consume too many sweets.

Blackduck Tue 22-Nov-16 06:58:45

As usually MrsS your mum takes the biscuit (factory). As Hatty said I hope she doesn't change her mind!

bigTillyMint Tue 22-Nov-16 06:59:07

Cocoa, hope you slept better - that was me Sun night too. I slept better last night, thank god!

MrsS, how vile for you to have to hear all that crap, but what a result - make the most of it!

Auriga, DD's friend is looking at doing International Relations - I think that's a bit Politics?!

Lalsy Tue 22-Nov-16 07:37:01

MrsS biscuit taking indeed. You don't need to justify your feelings or actions - Z is right and she treats you badly.

Ds looked at politics courses when he was thinking of JH. They all seemed quite similar (but so did the history ones which he had applied for so maybe we are missing something!!).

ishouldcocoa Tue 22-Nov-16 07:56:28

I'm def feeling a bit more bouncy today. Had a whole 6 hours sleep which is good for me. I have a list for today. Going to stick to it.

grin at weaponising Christmas. Good analogy.

Re Politics. I know v little, but local boy has gone to Essex Uni to do Politics. Apparently very good esp for International Politics, which is a bonus in today's world hmm

DH then very very rude about how awful Colchester is. He can be such an opinionated twat sometimes

Have a happy day Crepeys.

wordassociationfootball Tue 22-Nov-16 08:30:21

Mrs S - I read your Mum/Xmas post to DH. He found it v entertaining.

MI - I'm dreading the first year 11 report. My reaction to it more than anything. What was the fallout?

motherinferior Tue 22-Nov-16 08:32:04

That was 99p pleasantly spent as the actress said to the bishop. If not exactly peachy, much less pruney, and a bonus for freaking out DD1 too.

motherinferior Tue 22-Nov-16 08:33:12

Oh, re report: DP took another look and said Actually It's OK (and her parents' evening definitely was). In all honesty I was so utterly wiped I couldn't quite focus on anything.

herbaceous Tue 22-Nov-16 09:27:33

Checking in my crepey lovelies.

Mrs S - your mother really is something else. I am in awe of your patience and fortitude in the face of her dreadful behaviour. I think I would have told her to Jeff off by now....

Am properly addressing the fact that I'm a fat bastard. I'm quite sure that I don't eat enough to warrant the fact that I seem to be gaining about a pound a week, so have signed up to MyFitnessPal again to monitor the situation. I fear I'll be in for a rude awakening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now