Talk

Advanced search

Snow wear

(4 Posts)
ImYourWomanJonSnow Mon 21-Nov-16 14:19:34

I have a life-long hatred of snow, soggy feet and all things cold but this year I decided that I should give my toddler a chance to experience proper winter. I have booked three days in the mountains when we go to visit my home country. I have limited suitcase space so need to pack light. I'll also be 20 wks pregnant so don't expect I'll be doing any sledging with him (will leave that pleasure to my sister and will wave at them from the cafe) but I expect I will need some snow clothes for walking around, making snowman etc.. I have Blundstone boots and a wool coat but I have the feeling these won't cut it? What's the bare minimum I need to have bearing in mind it's only 3 days, I don't want to spend or carry loads. I can borrow snow clothes and boots for my toddler but not myself.

FrustratedFrugal Mon 21-Nov-16 14:50:52

I'm from a snowy place - we've already had some. You can improvise a lot. Footwear: boots or wellies with warm socks (just as long they are not slippy, wellies are super effective against soggy feet). Snow trousers: wearing windproof pants over leggings and/or regular trousers, or, if you are not playing in the snow, just wearing jeans over leggings. A wool coat is fine if you are not playing in the snow. I sometimes wear a thick cardigan or an ultra light down jacket under it to make it windproof. Take a scarf, hat and mittens or warm gloves. Thinsulate or cashmere lined leather are great. Or just wear fabric gloves or mittens over regular gloves.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Mon 21-Nov-16 15:14:52

Thank you Frustrated. I have windproof/waterproof overtrousers for cycling, do you think they may work? I have been looking at uniqlo down jacket for extra layer under the coat, they pack small. I think I'm ok for undergarments as I'm forever freezing (merino tights and roll necks and heat tech tops) but it's outerwear and boots I'm worried about, I thought I needed something snow specific.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Tue 22-Nov-16 08:32:31

Bump. Anyone else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now