Feeling nervous about going into designer shops (Chanel Burberry etc)

(50 Posts)
feminazi Sun 20-Nov-16 21:15:06

Does anyone else feel this way?

Generally I just ogle online, maybe go into the 'duty free' department shops whilst traveling...

Whenever I see a designer shop, I want to go in, but feel like I'm not good enough! I have a good job, with a nice salary, but my working class roots make me feel like I don't belong there.

I guess it saves me money at least!

Buttwing Sun 20-Nov-16 21:21:25

I used to work in a high end designer shop. Do not feel like this!!
Honestly we used to get all kinds of people come in and if anyone is arsey ( like pretty woman) just remember who the hell are they to judge at the end of the day they work in a shop they are not millionaires themselves. Or at least no one I ever worked with was!

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 20-Nov-16 21:24:55

Haha I genuinely haven't ever heard anyone else put this into words but it's exactly how I feel! We went to London not long ago and I popped into Louis Vuitton to pick up a scarf I'd been lusting after for months. I had the money in my bank to pay for more than a few bits in there but felt far too common to be even breathing the same air as that sort of stuff.

The assistants there are fabulous, though, and don't make you feel like shit, so it's definitely all in the head.

QueenOfTheNaps Sun 20-Nov-16 21:26:00

I used to be like this. Now I love a bit of designer window shopping grin
If it helps remember the shop staff are most likely earning normal amounts of money themselves

stonecircle Sun 20-Nov-16 21:38:33

I do! Doesn't help that I feel old and frumpy now and tend to dress for comfort more than style when I'm on a shopping trip. I wanted to splurge on a stylish work coat recently but every time I went into an expensive shop I just felt the assistants were looking down their noses at me ...

chanie44 Sun 20-Nov-16 21:39:46

I work near some of the most expensive shops in London and I've never been in a high end store, other than Harrods and Harvey Nics (which I find less intimidating, as they are touristy).

I recently decided to have a quick wander around Harvey Nics (probably the third time in my life I've been in) and I thought I'd see loads of lovely stuff, but actually, I didn't.

I did look at the odd price tag and faint at the prices. I've recently been experimenting at finding my upper limits of what I'm willing to pay for clothes and I know where I feel comfortable and it isn't anywhere near Harvey Nics prices, so I'm not that bothered about those types of shops.

Statelychangers Sun 20-Nov-16 21:50:20

I had a morning off from my twin babies and popped into Matches for something a bit special to lift my spirits and while I looked around - in came a group of woman who were offered a glass of champagne while I was ignored - no one else was in the shop - I was feeling pretty low before shopping but being ignored in that shop really felt like a kick in the teeth, I crept out never to return.

BrillianaHarvey Sun 20-Nov-16 22:53:52

Some assistants are snotty, some are lovely - it's a bit random and it can be quite crushing if you're not feeling upbeat.
One thing that helps is if you go in with a carrier bag from an expensive shop. That way they see you as a potential customer and not just a window-shopper.

MrsDesperado Sun 20-Nov-16 22:55:17

That's horrible stately flowers

IvorHughJarrs Sun 20-Nov-16 23:11:41

My friend and I went into Louis Vuitton a while ago and the staff were awful. I wanted to buy a wallet for DH, nobody came over to offer help so we looked about for a while till I realised they were in a case below a tray of purses that had been left out on top. As I reached my hand out to push them to one side a young man sprinted across and snatched them away without even speaking to us. It was clear he thought we would have nicked something if we could.
I happened to mention this to a friend of mine who shopped there regularly and told the manager. I had a lovely letter of apology and a gift from LV which was nice but, like stately, it made me feel shit at the time

AgeingArtemis Mon 21-Nov-16 01:03:51

Yeah I always feel like that, and I actually grew up fairly well off!

Even in debenhams today I was trying on loads of expensive perfumes at the brand counters and some security guard was un-subtly keeping an eye on me, and nobody came up to ask me what I was looking for or anything...

I was in duty free once and went into an expensive clothes shop (can't remember which brand, something a bit obscure, not a household name like armani or anything) with my teenaged brother. We were clearly young travellers (T-shirts and walking boots) so fair enough, we were unlikely to buy anything but when my brother went to try on a jumper (couple of hundred quid) the sales woman snapped at us- "you break it you pay for it!"

I know we aren't "customers" (I could have bought the bloody jumper if I'd wanted to angry but I choose not to spend that much on clothes) but she just made me feel so small and shit sad

NickMyLipple Mon 21-Nov-16 01:42:30

Not quite the same level, but similar ilk...

When I turned 20 I decided I wanted a fast, sporty car. I chose an Astra VXR which is a limited edition hot-hatch. Around £30k at the time. The first dealership told me "it's a very expensive car".

I walked out at that point!

Eventually found another dealership where the salesman was excited as me, and happily sold it to me!

I've learned now that it doesn't matter what you wear or how you look or carry yourself, someone is always ready to judge!!

Go for it, treat yourself!

OlennasWimple Mon 21-Nov-16 02:33:15

I dislike places where you can't see the prices easily

citychick Mon 21-Nov-16 02:41:39

I know how you feel.
I was given the short shrift in an LK Bennett store once. Probably because I was dressed for walking the dog...not glammed up in any way.

Many years ago, tho, I had saved up for a Hermes scarf and went into the Sloane street store to make my choice. Staff could not have been more helpful. They were kind and obliging and very much aware of the big deal it was to me. We all had a great fun time making the choice and I have never forgotten that experience.

I hate snotty sales staff. There is no excuse for it. They have no idea how much money you have in your bank account.

Don't be scared, it's sometimes a matter of confidence tho. No harm in window shopping or making a purchase in any kind of store.
If you feel intimidated or put down but you want to make a purchase you could ask the manager for help. He or she should be there to help any customer !

Statelychangers Mon 21-Nov-16 08:14:08

You only work in a shop you know - you can drop the attitude!

MinesaPinot Mon 21-Nov-16 09:17:38

I refuse to allow myself to be intimidated in any shops because, at the end of the day, whether you are going into Chanel or Primark, it is still a shop and the sales assistants have no idea whether or not you can afford to buy there.

Stately love the AbFab clip - I'd forgotten that but sums it up completely.

Oh, and to the snotty sales assistant in the Coach outlet in Bicester village who followed me and my husband around and watched everything we picked up - I was going to buy a bag but your attitude got me so annoyed that was why I walked out without buying anything, so Ya Boo Sucks1

Floisme Mon 21-Nov-16 09:46:18

The staff at the Leeds Harvey Nicks are lovely. I've been a few times and I've always made it clear I had no money but enjoyed looking at lovely clothes. They couldn't have been nicer. If they're not busy, they still stop and chat - not to push or embarrass me but just to tell me more about the clothes and answer questions. If I ever come into money (not going to happen but hey...) It'll be my first stop.

Malermalergoni Mon 21-Nov-16 09:55:50

I second the comment about Harvey Nicks. Always lovely staff. And always really kind to my children too, so welcoming.

Whatthefoxgoingon Mon 21-Nov-16 10:12:25

I've always had great service in Harvey nicks, harrods and liberty. Selfridges a bit hit and miss. High end stores I find are usually great. Sometimes places like lk Bennett and riess bizarrely were a bit shit.

I think sales people do size you up and down to see whether you will spend money or not. They really shouldn't. Plenty of money in the bank doesn't mean you always look stereotypically rich.

BrillianaHarvey Mon 21-Nov-16 10:22:37

Department stores are often nicer than designer boutiques. Staff in Liberty are always especially lovely. On the other hand, I've been treated really contemptuously in Chloe - really put me off ever going there again.

AmberNectarine Mon 21-Nov-16 10:28:23

Matches are great near me - they used to bring out a box of toys for my kids to play with so I could try stuff on when they were toddlers.

Chanel were fantastic for me - the sales assistant pulled out about a dozen bags in various colours for me to try.

LK Bennett are shite. The assistant actually pulled open the curtain while I was changing recently. Erm, sod off!

Blueberryblueberry Mon 21-Nov-16 10:30:29

Yup for harvey nics smile bought a v special dress there once and shoes and the sales assistants were lovely and obviously knew it was a special occasion. Also feel intimiadated though. Dh is great at this but is posher than me- he has the opposite attitude. Why should I dresss up smart etc, they'll still get my money grin (although I'm sometimes more hmm at him!)

Twogoats Mon 21-Nov-16 11:06:33

The only designer shop I've ever been in is Victoria Beckham and the staff were absolutely lovely! Sadly, VB wasn't there!

citychick Tue 22-Nov-16 01:03:18

Interesting about LK Bennett. My experience was at least 5 years ago. Clearly they haven't changed.

Bit niche but...I popped in to Philipa Lepley bridal shop in SW London about 14/15 years ago. Sales assistant was vile. I was with my lovely mum who was clearly thrilled to be part of all the fuss. We were at the start of our search and the girl cut mum off mid sentence and practically threw us out onto the street. I was fuming, but we Spent our money else where in the end.

I find bridal shopping uncomfortable anyway. Everyone just seems so keen on helping the bride and her family and friends overspend.

suchafuss Tue 22-Nov-16 03:29:12

My D step M once went shopping in an expensive furniture store and the sales person said to her ' I hope you earn enough to sit on that sofa'. She looked at him as he watched her stand up, walk out and get into her new Bentley.Bet he doesnt do that again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now