Talk

Advanced search

Silly laundry question

(16 Posts)
lizzieoak Sun 20-Nov-16 17:55:45

In my current job I barely see anyone so have slightly given up making an effort w my wardrobe.

Most days I'm wearing Gap slim grey or black trousers w a sweater & blazer. I've only got one of each colour and as they're (meant to be) tight I'm thinking I should wash them every second wear. On the other hand it's a palahva as they can't go in the drier & I wonder if it's going to wear them out too quickly.

Is it nasty to wait a bit longer to wash. I've got a short commute in my car, then just sit for 4 hours, then home & change.

MeadowHay Sun 20-Nov-16 19:08:30

Idk if it's just me but I wouldn't wash them anywhere near that often. grin
Smell them and see grin

lizzieoak Sun 20-Nov-16 19:22:05

grin I wash jeans that often, but maybe it's just me. Am hoping to get a more social job soon where I'll feel more motivated to dress for work. Sitting alone in the semi-gloom, just don't feel the wardrobe love.

neveradullmoment99 Sun 20-Nov-16 19:30:59

I think washing after second wear is fine.

banivani Sun 20-Nov-16 22:36:07

Stick yer nose into the crotch of them and sniff sure. 😎 I wouldn't wash that often unless stained or so.

BusterGonad Mon 21-Nov-16 08:48:22

I only wash my clothes when they need them, jeans after every 5 or so wears, jumpers depending on what's going on in the arm pit region! The sniff test is my usual method. Washing clothes too often really ages them.

AmaDablam Mon 21-Nov-16 09:08:44

Barring any food spillages, mud spatters etc, I generally wash trousers every 3 wears and I wear them until I go to bed at night and am fairly active during the day. If you're changing in the evening and quite sedentary, I'd say you could get away with 4 or 5 days. At the end of the day though, if it doesn't look or smell dirty, don't wash it, if it does, then do smile

BikeRunSki Mon 21-Nov-16 09:11:55

Every second wear is fine, particularly if you're only wearing them for 4 hrs. I'd probably go longer. My work trousers are dry clean only, they get done about 3 times a winter!

Liiinoo Mon 21-Nov-16 09:15:28

You will probably be able to wear them more often without washing if you alternate the days you wear them. Then you can ensure they are thoroughly aired on the days you aren't wearing them which will keep them fresher. Then wash them both at the weekend.

lizzieoak Mon 21-Nov-16 14:54:22

Whew! Sounds like less work for me! I'm not sure about the snuff test - aren't we a little nose blind to ourselves? But I often don't even have anyone in the adjacent cubicle, so I think I agree w what everyone's saying to wait a bit longer between washes.

travailtotravel Mon 21-Nov-16 16:12:35

Is this also not why they invented Febreeze?

lizzieoak Mon 21-Nov-16 16:30:33

We febreezed a piece of used furniture once - it smelled like a very, very cheap perfume. We had to throw it out. Either my nose is overly sensitive (it reminded me of an unsavoury relative who smoked like a chimney, used heroin, and seemed to bath in bad perfume), or Febreeze has improved by miles.

lizzieoak Mon 21-Nov-16 16:31:15

Which it may have done as I've had perfectly nice people say they use Febreeze!

travailtotravel Mon 21-Nov-16 20:52:08

I have one that doesn't seem to smell ..... perhaps I am lucky or noseblind.
If you really want a smell, you could try zoflora, perhaps?

lizzieoak Mon 21-Nov-16 21:21:09

No, just want it neutral or laundry smelling.

phoolani Mon 21-Nov-16 22:12:43

I wash my Gap slim trousers after every wear, only because I think the shape goes a bit after a day's wear (for comparison, I wash jeans alkost never so it's not cos I'm a clean freak). I bung em on a short cold wash in the evening and they're dry by morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now