Talk

Advanced search

no spare money, how to feel glam?

(22 Posts)
Disabrie22 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:07:48

Due to my start up business I have no spare cash - would love to be able to buy something new to glam up - what one bargain piece of clothing have you bought or make up that makes you feel more glamorous? Actually cut my own hair to save money!

chanie44 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:30:18

The advice tends to be buy an expensive bag or shoes as that will make the rest of your outfit look expensive.

Or maybe a piece of jewellery.

Pisssssedofff Sat 19-Nov-16 19:38:17

Gorgeous coat, I often have leggings and a top underneath my beautful purple Ted baker coat

LBOCS2 Sat 19-Nov-16 20:10:52

And get your eyebrows threaded, it's £3 in local nail bars and makes a big difference.

formerbabe Sat 19-Nov-16 20:14:48

Blow-dry your hair.

Yes to getting your eyebrows threaded.

Buy plain clothes. I have a plain pair of jeans and black t shirt..from lidl! You'd never know though!

Paint your nails in a burgundy colour...always looks more classic.

Nude lipstick.

BikeRunSki Sat 19-Nov-16 20:35:58

Iron your clothes and polish your shoes.

SnipSnipMrBurgess Sat 19-Nov-16 20:41:20

Just in terms of blowdrying your hair...bus there a knack t it? Mine always looks shit. OK at the front and shit at the back

wobblywonderwoman Sat 19-Nov-16 20:43:26

A really nice scarf (or better still a few and swap around)

Primark sell pearl look earrings that I always get commented on

A little bit of light tan

Pisssssedofff Sat 19-Nov-16 21:09:08

There absolutely is a knack to blow drying hair, I haven't found it yet though

BroomstickOfLove Sat 19-Nov-16 21:12:38

I agree with eyebrows. And a good lipstick.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Sat 19-Nov-16 21:27:51

Eyebrows done.

New interesting accessories always help, especially if they are not competing with your clothes.

Mainly though, spending extra time not extra money. Do your skin care, hair and makeup the best you can with products you already own. Go on youtube to learn new techniques then spend time practising them.

margaritasbythesea Sat 19-Nov-16 21:51:55

Good thread OP

AbiBranning Sat 19-Nov-16 21:55:18

Skin, even if just with a flannel exfoliate and you'll see the glow, look after your nails. Small efforts good result.

Floisme Sun 20-Nov-16 11:55:39

A large grey fake fur collar. It cost me a tenner in a gift shop and I wear it over everything, outdoors and in. More glamorous and a bit more current than a scarf and snugglier too, best money I've spent lately.

dovesong Sun 20-Nov-16 12:07:18

Definitely a blow dry. I'm crap at doing my hair but the babyliss big hair thing is good and really helps.

MontyPythonsFlyingFuck Sun 20-Nov-16 13:13:02

Blowdrying your hair, assuming it's a style that needs, er, styling, is massively easier with a Big Hair thingy. I seriously wouldn't want to be without mine (to the point where I have one that I bought in the States on a business trip when I realised mine wasn't really working over there and completely panicked!).

All it is is a not-very-powerful hairdryer with a sort of large spinning brush on the end, but it's unbeatable for making you look like you haven't been dragged through a hedge backwards.

Other than that, if money's short, as others have said, look at what you can do with what you've already got. A decent manicure? Polish your shoes? Iron clothes? I do think you either have to put in time or money, and to look properly groomed, quite a bit of both.

ginorwine Sun 20-Nov-16 13:26:59

Sleep
Fresh air
Exercise
Hair done
Nails neat
Lippy
😄

MeadowHay Sun 20-Nov-16 19:16:45

Looking after yourself works wonders if cash is short. So exercise, eating well, sleeping well! Keeping to a good skincare routine - obv might have to buy things for this if you don't already have them but you can get stuff that is inexpensive and still great. Even things like a cheap E45 cream for moisturising dry hands and feet, and a cheap lip balm to keep lips nice! But also a good facial skincare routine. Yes to PP about eyebrow threading, makes a world of difference. I get my entire face done about once a month or so to keep me sane as I'm an incredibly hairy woman lol but obv that won't be necessary for most of you! If your nail varnish chips easily then just paint them clear or like a clear sparkly or something, looks a bit nicer than nothing on and won't draw attention to chipping or anything. Paint your toenails too if anyone sees your feet! Dry shampoo on hair that hasn't been washed that day makes a world of difference (I couldn't live without Batiste anymore!). Polish your shoes. Wear jewellery - earrings and necklaces in particular.

Disabrie22 Mon 21-Nov-16 00:02:12

Thanks for all these - just missing a bit of glamour in my life soooooo much - one day maybe.Have a bit hair thing but it doesn't do much for my mad hair!!

BrillianaHarvey Mon 21-Nov-16 00:07:16

Jewellery can make a huge difference. Accessorise do some great 'versions' of more expensive things that last about as long as it takes to get bored of them.

OlennasWimple Mon 21-Nov-16 00:13:49

What's your makeup "thing"? I do better with great mascara or eye shadow, my friend dos better with a fab new lipstick

Destinysdaughter Mon 21-Nov-16 00:22:57

Local colleges often have v cheap beauty treatments to allow their students to practise on real clients. A facial or manicure can be as cheap as £5. Worth a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now