Talk

Advanced search

Is there any point in buying expensive mascara?

(32 Posts)
Lucydogz Sat 19-Nov-16 17:57:55

I was in Boot's the other day and was wondering. I'm a low-maintenance woman, so usually buy the cheapest, but am I missing something?

Benefit Rollerlash is well worth the cost.
Lancome usually do a good gift set at this time of year, which works out at good value.
Otherwise I generally just buy Max Factor if economising.

WhooooAmI24601 Sat 19-Nov-16 18:02:42

It depends which you buy. You can get some that are crap and look like you've dead spiders glued to your eyes. Others are marvellous. I've got sensitive eyes and lots of mascaras make me itch, so stick to YSL babydoll or Chanel's le Volume. Both last all day (I'm a teacher so can't reapply or have great stripes down my cheeks when a small child sneezes on me) so for me, yes, they're worth it.

Thatwaslulu Sat 19-Nov-16 18:03:16

I second Benefit Rollerlash. I had only ever bought Rimmel or Max Factor before, but I wanted something fancy for a special event and have been so impressed with it.
I got a special gift version with a free mini product for my travel bag.

Bluntness100 Sat 19-Nov-16 18:03:21

I use Lancôme doll eyes, for me yes I find it better than cheaper ones, it gives a better effect , no clumps, seperates, thickens etc. They last for quite awhile as well, so for me I don't see the big deal financially.

I've used a number of cheaper ones like rimmel etc and I don't find them to be as good, more product needed for the same effect and then looks a bit cakey.

Ultimately they all do the same job, but I do think yes you get what you pay for and it's good to find one uou like,

seminakedinsomebodyelsesroom Sat 19-Nov-16 18:03:24

I also buy Lancome as a treat and I think it is better than cheaper mascara. But same as PP, Max Factor is my go to 'high street' choice.

microsnake Sat 19-Nov-16 18:04:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pistachiois50pmore Sat 19-Nov-16 18:21:02

The bottom line with mascara is that you can't keep it longer than 3 months - there's just too much bacteria in eyes and it's a really bad idea to keep them any longer. If you're happy to throw out your YSL after 3 months then go ahead. That should be your bottom line.

There are good cheap ones and bad cheap ones. Meanwhile, I've never found an expensive one that wasn't good, but expensive-and-good isn't any better than cheap-and-good. If you're happy to kiss a few frogs I'd look around for a cheaper one.

L'Oreal Voluminous (but not any other of the L'Oreals imho) is a good one. Mind you, I seem to be up to my eyes in Benefit free samples and the good thing about free sample mascaras is they last almost as long as you would want to keep a mascara anyway, there's just no need to buy a whacking great tube.

Pistachiois50pmore Sat 19-Nov-16 18:21:49

Are Bourjois and Chanel made in the same factory? They always used to be.

Bluntness100 Sat 19-Nov-16 18:22:00

I think there is certain products where you do actually get better with more expensive brands,,mascara, foundation, eye shadow, blusher and concealer being the main ones.

Lipstick. Lip liner, eye liners, nail varnish, Less so.

For example I use a Chanel foundation, it's bloody brilliant, but eye wateringly expensive, makes me look fresh and dewy, where as the cheaper ones really don't have the same effect. I look cakey or its fairly useless and trust me I need all the help I can get. It also lasts all day, which means for days like last week where I started at 8 and then went straight out to dinner after, it was still fine. No need to redo it.

Same with anything with pigment, like blusher or eye shadow, they last longer, you need less product and they just stay better. Again with the concealer, I use more of a highlighter for under my eyes, and it seems to be lighter and better as well as last longer than the lower cost ones.

However the lower cost ones are still good, they just aren't as good, if that makes sense. But for other products, as said, I'm less sure it makes a lot of difference and you're paying just for the brand or the packaging.

Pistachiois50pmore Sat 19-Nov-16 18:23:45

P.S. just noticed in your OP that you always buy "the cheapest" - you might see a bigger jump in quality between a £3 mascara and a £8 mascara than between an £8 mascara and a £30 mascara if you catch my drift

ClassmateHB Sat 19-Nov-16 18:25:32

Mascara is a big thing for me. And I have tried soooooo many. Max factor false lash wins for me every time though. Sometimes the anticlump, sometimes the voluminous one, but always maxfactor at £12 a tube. It lasts about two or three months, and lasts all day. Foundation for me is maxfactor too. Eyeliner and eyeshadow are cheaper Rimmel and MUA, but mascara is always maxfactor!

ihatethecold Sat 19-Nov-16 18:27:25

Soap and glory thick and full mascara is very good and priced about £10

I also love smashbox but they are a bit more expensive, about £16.

Elledouble Sat 19-Nov-16 18:32:03

I think it's worth not buying the really cheap mascaras, I find they flake, I usually buy Maybelline or Max Factor for about the £8-£10 mark. I did have a £30 Chanel one at one point and I don't think it was so much better as to justify the price.

Lucydogz Sat 19-Nov-16 18:33:37

Thank you everybody. Next time I'll try mid range

HubbleBubbles Sat 19-Nov-16 18:37:12

I always buy Maybelline Great Lash as the brush is nice and small and fits my tiny eyes! Fancy brushes are no use to me. It's also nice and black, stays on all day & doesn't clump. I don't see how it could be bettered tbh!
I agree that price makes a big diff with foundation & blusher.

ElspethFlashman Sat 19-Nov-16 18:39:31

Max Factor fan here too. Though Maybelline The Rocket is great, particularly the waterproof one.

VeryPunny Sat 19-Nov-16 19:28:10

Have just jumped ship to Bourjois (sp?) from Chanel Le Volume, which was fab but did get a bit smudgy by the end of the day. Have bought the waterproof one so will see....

I used to love Max Factor Master something or other but they don't do it any more.

squiz81 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:38:43

I was wondering this recently too. My last 2 mascaras have been more expensive ones...then I bought one in Aldi for £2.49 & it's definitely no worse than them and I prefer it to the benefit one I had.

Ohyesiam Sat 19-Nov-16 20:15:15

But the best thing i ve bought is a spooly brush, totally gets rid of clumps. I use it after curling, and then after mascara ( I don't wear it every day) and it looks c natural, but I impressive.

Bodicea Sat 19-Nov-16 20:18:57

Personally I don't see the point in spending a fortune. Especially as you are supposed to replace regularly for hygiene reasons. I am a one coat kind of girl. Maybe it makes a difference if you put loads of coats on.
I rarely buy mascara though. I look out for freebies on magazines and buy my regular Clinique stuff etc when there is a fee gift ( it almost always includes a little mascara).
I am sure I remember reading somewhere the basic formula for mascara hasn't changed for years.

DoorsAndWater Sat 19-Nov-16 20:19:26

I keep trying different mascaras, YSL, benefit, Lancôme etc, always come back to max factor 2000 calorie, no idea why it just suits me and seems to give me the fullest lashes?

Schmoochypoos Sat 19-Nov-16 20:22:59

doors I love the max factor 2000 calorie one too!
I've got a NARS one at the moment as it came in a beauty box I bought and it's great but at £21 I don't love it enough to buy it again

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 19-Nov-16 20:24:08

I am a smudger and always go back to Estée Lauder Doublewear. If I need extra oomph I put on MAC False Lash (I have a load of little sample tubes) and then seal it with the EL.

NotAMammy Sat 19-Nov-16 20:48:43

I got Too Faced Better than Sex mascara in one of them beauty boxes. It's fantastic but I never saw it since until last week when I was in Debenhams. I will be purchasing for the festive season. I really, truly rate that one.

I also think that highlighters and blushers or bronzers with sparkly, illuminating bits are worth the extra money. I have a Sleek blusher and a Laura Mercier blusher that look identical in the pan but on the skin you can tell the difference massively. I love my Sleek contouring kit though. I know you just asked about mascara, but just in case you wondered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now