Talk

Advanced search

Tips for dressing up when you are rubbish at it.

(7 Posts)
isuckatthis Sat 19-Nov-16 09:24:35

I am attending a family event in a few weeks time and have decided to 'make an effort'.

I usually just hide and feel uncomfortable and underdressed, but I have lost a shitload of weight and in a moment of madness decided to buy a dress. It is what the internet tells me is a 'day dress' so nothing fancy and sparkly.

I am also considering some light make up to try and lessen the look of 'this lady never sleeps/walking dead extra' due to having had DC (including current toddler) who aren't that into sleep for the first year or 2 smile My usual make up is clear mascara (might use eyelash curlers if I can find them) maybe some eye shadow and not very exciting lip colour. I have now acquired some cc cream - might try this on worst eye bits?

So I think I am looking for tips on how not to feel like a fish out of water and attempt to carry this off. While wrangling a toddler and older DC.

Cheers!

phoolani Sat 19-Nov-16 10:17:22

How about a bit of tinted moisturiser? Evens out skin tone without feeling all caked on like foundation (or that may be just me, I feel like an overdone clown in foundation); just makes you look a bit 'done'.
Maybe a brown mascara for a bit more oomph?
I'd also think about finding which red lipstick (blue or orange based) suits you and trying that!

isuckatthis Sat 19-Nov-16 10:49:47

Not sure about the lipstick <red sounds scary>, but will look into tinted moisturiser, thanks.

Definitely not keen on a full face of foundation. smile

I probably already look like I am wearing brown mascara with these dark circles grin

FauxFox Sat 19-Nov-16 10:55:58

Start doing more for everyday now and by the time the party arrives you will be used to wearing a bit of makeup. Give the dress an outing or two before as well, even if it's just to Tesco, so you feel comfy in it on the day - make it a gradual improvement to look and feel better every day rather than a transformation for one event xx

phoolani Sat 19-Nov-16 10:57:22

If red scares you, try putting Vaseline (or any lip salve on first, and then dotting the red on and squishing your lips around, so it's like a tint rather than full on. Or go for a reddy lip gloss?

phoolani Sat 19-Nov-16 10:59:08

Oh, and I always mix in a dab of moisturiser with the tinted one before I put it on...yes, I really don't like feeling caked up!

alwayshappy101 Sat 19-Nov-16 10:59:17

Well Done for losing weight 😊

I never wear too much make up.just make sure you have a nice bag and shoes,and do your hair nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now