Talk

Advanced search

makeup artist/makeup counters ????

(6 Posts)
iloveoz Thu 17-Nov-16 20:57:30

i love makeup. as i am getting older i am after a very soft kind of look (hair lighter etc) at the mo its only bronzer and mascara
i know this sounds really daft but makeup counters stress me out and i end up wasting money as just dont know how to say ` no not after that look it doesnt suit me' they dont seem to listen
with all the counters available i just feel overwhelmed and end up just leaving with nothing bought
i have dh relatives coming soon and would just like to look a bit more together then at least i wont have the smart comment of `you look tired' yet again
please can you others advise thank you

BusterGonad Fri 18-Nov-16 04:17:46

It's hard to advise when I haven't got a clue what you look like??? grin

Softkitty2 Fri 18-Nov-16 08:49:58

I always look at products online and read review. Then I go to the make up counter and ask swatch things myself or ask to be matched if it is a foundation i am looking at. I then ask for a sample of the foundation I always reason that I dont want to buy a full bottle if I haven't tried it on for a full day/full face in all lights.
Also, I find that if they take 5 mins of their time to just colour match me around the chin/jaw area I don't feel pressured into buying anything because they haven't spent a lot of time on me.

Also, I would suggest bobbi brown, estee lauder, laura mercier if you are looking to start a basic collection, they cater well for all skin/ages I find that their makeup assistants are helpful and are not rushed to help other customers (like mac grin).

A more put together look to start, obviously a good skin care routine, a tinted moisturiser or light foundation, maybe a brown eyeliner (charlotte tilbury does good ones) eyebrow pencil, blush anf lips.
It makes Such a difference to the face when eyebrows are done.

Softkitty2 Fri 18-Nov-16 08:53:21

Also, when you get approached by a sales assistant, politely decline and say you are looking around and will ask for help once you are ready.. Take your time. Because make up is really hard to return.. So i just fo my own thing and swatch and look at as many things. Once I am ready I ask for help.

iloveoz Sat 19-Nov-16 16:37:16

thank you very much indeed kitty
really helpful and informative post
you are completely right about the skin care i have quite a good routine and always have my eyebrows tinted gosh that makes such a difference
feel confident enough now to approach the makeup counters and just say `no thanks' if i dont need their help
xx

chanie44 Sat 19-Nov-16 18:18:46

I look online for products and then go in store to try them on.

I will rarely buy then and there. I always tell the make up artist that I'm going to walk around to see how the products look in different lights. All the staff have been fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now