Is anyone else completely doo-dah in the pursuit of their dream item?

(11 Posts)
theclick Thu 17-Nov-16 17:35:56

So i really wanted this top from Zara. I ended up not buying it when i first saw it, and then when I regretted doing that, of course it was off the shop floor - because Zara turn their stock around every few weeks, and if you don't get it while it's there, you lose out. Anyway, in my pursuit of said top, I have carried out the following actions:

- Searched for numerous search terms online "white knit top zara" "zara oversized sweater" "zara off white jumper", you get the drift
- Done a google image search
- Tried to see if it is on any other section of the website
- Searched pinterest separately
-Posted on two separate forums asking anyone if they had seen it in store or had it themselves
Finally, I -
- Visited one store in London after a meeting (I do have a job, despite the time I clearly have on my hands), begged a sales person to look at the image i had of it, he claimed he was a trainee and walked off
- Visited a store down the road, begged another member of staff to see if she remembered it, she did remember a grey one in the same style, so I -

- Asked her to find the grey one (she did, in the stock room), then she gave me the reference (yes! getting warmer!)
- And then she looked it up, only to find it in the store i had just visited, so i walked ten minutes back, got a lovely lady to ask the stock room for it, and voila, it is finally in my hands.

Yes, it was exhausting. Yes, I'm now not even sure if it was worth it.

Does anyone ever go crazy in pursuit of one item of clothing/accessories? I'd love to hear your stories too, so I don't feel so alone in my quest.

hellswelshy Thu 17-Nov-16 17:47:58

Its not just you. I stalked a woman in Primark as she was umming and ahhing over a dress I wanted and she'd picked up the last one. Went back to the rack afterwards and it was the wrong size anyway!! Now I'm wondering whether to check another branch tomorrow... The dress is only £5blush

I've also trawler many many websites for a past season style of Clarks boots. Lots of times.

theclick Thu 17-Nov-16 18:21:41

What dress was it? I also visited primark today; i may have seen it!

MadisonMontgomery Thu 17-Nov-16 18:23:37

I do this! What is even weirder is I really enjoy it.

FrustratedFrugal Thu 17-Nov-16 18:27:37

I saw a beautiful multicolored cotton cardigan on someone in a trendy cafe last spring. I approached her and asked her where it was from and she said 'Southern France' <le shrug> You can guess the rest wink

pennycarbonara Thu 17-Nov-16 18:36:00

My particular vice is ebay alerts, sometimes for similarly cheap items that sold out recently, more often for things I saw or bought years ago in a different size, and trawling through listings for catch all descriptions like "topshop floral dress 12" until the wanted item eventually turns up.

It has usually worked, but a few months ago I pounced on an exact dress that was only a few months old, and when it arrived it was full of bizarre little holes that appeared to have been made deliberately.

I'm not sure I enjoy it. Actually, it maybe belongs on the thread about odd things you'd employ someone to do for you if you won the lottery. But the other person wouldn't have seen the original item, so...

theclick Thu 17-Nov-16 18:46:10

Yep I also trawl through ebay. In fact for said item i did, but got completely nowhere.

chanie44 Thu 17-Nov-16 18:58:06

I recently saw an items I liked in Whistles and found a discount code that was expiring that day. Obviously, quite expensive, but discount was a reasonable saving.

I snuck out of work a bit early so I could try it me. Could find the concession in Harrods and staff were snotty, so went to Harvey nicks.

Anyway, I didn't like it.

W8woman Fri 18-Nov-16 09:19:11

I'm 5' 2" and used to be a size 6-8 in my youth, which unfortunately coincided with me having money to burn. On many occasions I would track items down using the stockist details in the backs of magazines (this was pre-internet) and find my size was only available in Isetan in Tokyo. I'd buy it, pay astronomical shipping, and usually find it didn't suit me anyway.hmm.

These days I spend a lot of time tracking down and buying back the Laura Ashley prints I wore in my teens. I have such happy memories of my LA-clad teens and want to make a patchwork quilt for DD using the prints I remember from my old dresses (which went to the charity shop in 1992). The vintage numbers cost more than the originals back in the 1980s.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Fri 18-Nov-16 10:03:03

Yes I'm doing that right now. There's a pair of shoes from & Other Stories that they had on their website since August, finally decide this is exactly what I need for winter this weekend, put them in my basket, get distracted by toddler, remember them the day after and my size is gone. Goooone.

So I emailed customer service who say they won't be restocking them, but am visiting the website five times a day hoping that purchaser from Monday will return them. Also begged Customer Service to check stock in all shops in Europe, waiting for their call back. Ebay alert set up too for all shoes of all sizes from that brand. It is hard work.

BusterGonad Fri 18-Nov-16 17:05:40

I'm still in love with a Topshop dress from 7 years ago. I bought it but decided I couldn't afford it (I couldn't) and then it went crazy because someone on the tv wore it and then I couldn't get it anywhere and even today I often look on eBay fir it as I'm still in love with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now