Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What can I wear for Christmas parties when recovering from a broken ankle?

(7 Posts)
AalyaSecura Wed 16-Nov-16 23:21:34

I was just sorting out my December diary and realised that I have five Christmas events coming up. I've broken my ankle, and just about to come out of my walking boot, but I will have to wear supportive flat shoes for some time, delicate flats are not going to cut it.

4/5 events are more smart casual, a step up from smart jeans and top, and one event is normally party dress. I will likely need new shoes, my biker boots are all I have that are suitable, and I guess trousers may be easier with flat supportive shoes.

Anyone got some bright ideas? Budget wise I normally shop in jigsaw, reiss, whistles etc for going out type clothes, I'm slim and tall.

PussyPatches Thu 17-Nov-16 00:57:48

How about silver brogues or chelsea boots? Loads around.

Filiboom Thu 17-Nov-16 13:07:31

Hi there. This was me two years ago (and, indeed, one year ago, albeit with a broken foot this time...).

I would echo the brogues suggestion, I found that something that really hold the foot well helped. I never thought of myself as a brogues person, but found a black suede pair and a bronze metallic pair that are a bit more delicate than the clumpy Ines that you sometime see, which I really like and look ok with skirts (but I prefer with trousers). Mine are a few months old, but one was from Office and the other Dune.

Don't do what I did and go back into less sensible shoes too soon. A year after I broke my ankle, I was wearing some boots with a two inch blocky heel (so pretty sensible, certainly compared to what I use D to wear) and I had to chase my toddler in the playground. My ankle collapsed and I broke my foot, which was very annoying to put it mildly....

And do do all the Physio (says one who didn't and paid the price...).

herecomesthsun Thu 17-Nov-16 13:19:39

I would wear a maxi dress or skirt, it will all but hide your shoes or boots, and then something enormously comfortable and supportive underneath. Maybe a desert boot if it were comfy and I thought I could get away with it. And a high end, beautiful top to distract.

FinallyHere Thu 17-Nov-16 13:41:49

Find a flat boot and evening trousers in the same colour, so they melt into the background then go for attention from a bright top or big jewellery. Enjoy the parties, too.

JamieVardysParty Thu 17-Nov-16 14:09:10

I'd either go all black - cropped slim cigarette trousers with black silk cami top and pointed black brogues. Or if you prefer colour, something like this with the same brogues (may be a bit work-y).

I like www.stories.com/gb/Ready-to-wear/Dresses/Open_Back_Dress/582938-125247008.1 with flat leopard ankle boots/chunky lace up boots and bare legs.

I have this which I wear with biker boots and love it.

I have a chronic ankle problem stemming from a similar injury. Definitely wear sensible shoes for a long time, longer than you think necessary and keep up regular physio.

AalyaSecura Thu 17-Nov-16 19:52:26

Thanks all, this is reassuring to read! I think knowing that I should be wearing flat shoes for quite a long time makes it easier to justify buying one or two pairs, so I will get looking. I looked at jumpsuits, but they don't really suit my body shape, I'm short bodied and long legged, I prefer tops that have more length in them. Need to get hunting for the party top,(s), then the trousers should be more straightforward, cigarette style work well on me, though I need to avoid feeling too worky. Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now