Talk

Advanced search

Is red lipstick scary on (ahem) silver haired 50 something?

(20 Posts)
Binkysays Wed 16-Nov-16 21:51:16

What do people think about bright red lipstick with grey hair?
At 50+ I've gone natural with my hair, and I like it actually, it's long and streaked silver/steel/salt and pepper.
I like the no-make-up-make-up look generally, but with the grey hair can look a bit washed out, and am wondering if bright lips, and in particular red lips, will brighten my face? Or are red lips/grey hair scary?? shock

SirChenjin Wed 16-Nov-16 21:52:36

Not at all - I think it's a brilliant look, a really good contrast to the grey.

niminypiminy Wed 16-Nov-16 22:01:32

No, it's a great look. I wear it all the time, and the high contrast really works.

Wolfiefan Wed 16-Nov-16 22:02:50

Red lipstick is scary if you get it all over your teeth! Other than that no! Go for it.

Ostrobogulous Wed 16-Nov-16 22:04:02

I think it can look really good. Go for it.

CMOTDibbler Wed 16-Nov-16 22:09:36

I think it looks great with the right shade of red - I'm in my 40's with white/bright grey hair and red lipstick looks great. At least I get lots of compliments when I wear it grin

grannycake Thu 17-Nov-16 06:20:32

The more grey my hair has got the brighter my lipstick When I was blonde bright lipsticks looked all wrong but with silver hair they are great. I do wear less eye makeup now

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Thu 17-Nov-16 06:25:02

Think fierce, not scary! I'm silver too and I always get compliments with red. Neutral eyes though.

ClaudiaNaughton Thu 17-Nov-16 06:43:45

Lipstick Queen's Medieval is a great red for cowards. Suits everyone.

ilovecherries Thu 17-Nov-16 08:27:19

I'm 50+ (or probably more accurately 60 -). I'd love to wear red lipstick, because although I loathe red clothes, I think lipstick like that is amazingly cool. I've got too issues though -my lips have thinned a lot, and I'm not convinced lipstick looks right any more, and I've yet to go grey, and if my parents are anything to go by, I've got another 15-18 years of mousey blonde, then I'll go silver within about 6 months. By which time I will definitely be too old for red lippy. So I say go for it if you've got the perfect storm of good lips and silver hair.

ilovecherries Thu 17-Nov-16 08:27:44

Two. Not too. Argh.

Floisme Thu 17-Nov-16 08:41:20

I think it's a great look. Admittedly I quite like scaring people.

FrickOnAStick Thu 17-Nov-16 09:22:17

It looks fab, so long as you get the right tone of red for your colouring.

TheCatsBiscuits Thu 17-Nov-16 10:26:05

who is that fabulously glamorous silver-haired model lady who has made a whole look out of having a grey mane and red lips? She looks amazing. Visit a make-up counter to get exactly the right shade for your skintone, then go for it.

TronaldDump Thu 17-Nov-16 11:04:06

Sounds absolutely stunning! Definitely go for it!

FashionMommy Thu 17-Nov-16 11:37:56

Yes from me, go for it.

cardoon Thu 17-Nov-16 11:45:44

Such a glamorous look

KindDogsTail Thu 17-Nov-16 11:49:23

Very pretty with grey hair, but do not be plastered with makeup over all. Go for French look, 'no make-up'. Also blot your lips well.

burnishedsilver Thu 17-Nov-16 12:46:40

Not at all. Go for it.

Binkysays Mon 21-Nov-16 21:34:39

Thanks for all the encouragement! Wow! Ok, I'm going to ask DD to accompany me and help me choose a good shade.
I kinda like the idea, but not sure if the reality is in fact a bit vampirey - but hey, what"ve I got to lose? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now