Talk

Advanced search

If you are a mainly casual dresser ..

(28 Posts)
Pinkkahori Wed 16-Nov-16 09:57:18

What sort of handbag or other type of bag do you use?

I have plenty of bags for more dressed up days but nothing that feels right when in converse, jeans and parka.

I have a budget of about £50 to spend and would like something that goes with both black and navy as I wear quite a lot of both (separately not in the same outfit). I think grey would be the best option.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

PNGirl Wed 16-Nov-16 11:03:41

They're well above budget but my favourites are Fossil. If you google "Fossil Preston Flap" I have that in burgundy. That's a good shape to look for - slouchy, flap-close that you can sling on.

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 16-Nov-16 11:15:05

I tend to spend a bit more on bags and use the same one most of the time day-to-day - my current favourite is a big Jigsaw one, soft slouchy leather, which can be worn cross-body, probably quite similar to the Fossil one described above as it has a flap closure. I think Topshop and Oasis do quite good bags around your price-point.

FemaleDilbert Wed 16-Nov-16 11:19:44

I like the Orla Kiely sling bags, although bought mine nearly new off eBay not full price

m.orlakiely.com/uk/bags/stem%20bags/16PEELB044/60575/Granite/

Pigsbum Wed 16-Nov-16 11:34:44

I love Kipling bags, you can get them cheaper on eBay but this is the online store:

http://www.kipling.com/uk-en/handbags/type/across-body-bags/

itstheyearzero Wed 16-Nov-16 11:40:06

I have this and I love it. Great quality

The Collection Tan ring detail grab bag | Debenhams
m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_089010790170_-1

ChipIn Wed 16-Nov-16 11:44:19

A tan bag would go well and not as dull as grey or black. My style is also very casual and I have two tan leather-look bags. One is a handbag style that I wear either on my forearm or in my hand, a bit slouchy and the other is a cross-body style which is a bit smaller. The handbag one works well for work and evening, weekends.

Branleuse Wed 16-Nov-16 11:48:35

ive got a plain black leather backpack

cromwell44 Wed 16-Nov-16 11:49:16

Do you want leather or would you go for canvas or a combination of the two? Fatface do a few of each type within your budget.
here

MaidOfStars Wed 16-Nov-16 11:52:34

A slouchy, capacious, bronze/greyish leather one.

Floisme Wed 16-Nov-16 13:03:29

Do you have a fair trade shop? Just bought a cross body bag in tan leather there for £65: well made and different sizes available. I'm hoping it will last me the rest of my life. (Not a bag person.)

Fruitboxjury Wed 16-Nov-16 13:04:41

If I'm in casual clothes (which normally I'm not) I don't use a handbag. I take a coat or jacket with enough pocket space for my keys, bank card and phone and that's it

alwayshappy101 Wed 16-Nov-16 13:11:24

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Womens-Rivets-Handbags-Large-Capacity-Denim-Satchel-Motor-Shoulder-Bags-Retro-E4-/162115335180

alwayshappy101 Wed 16-Nov-16 13:17:59

www.snugrugs.co.uk/products/satchel-canvas-bag-black?gclid=CMjOsKGurdACFRS6GwodvgUDXw

alwayshappy101 Wed 16-Nov-16 13:19:02

m.asos.com/asos/asos-satchel-in-black-canvas/prd/6550608?iid=6550608&affid=14179&channelref=product%20search&mk=abc¤cyid=1&gclid=CP7K2MKurdACFRa3Gwodz4UGOw

alwayshappy101 Wed 16-Nov-16 13:19:29

I quite like a satchel.

Boredomismyenemy Wed 16-Nov-16 13:48:04

I have a camera bag from accessorize in leopard. It's so versatile, I wear it with everything. They do it in lots of colours.

youngestisapsycho Wed 16-Nov-16 13:58:59

I like Kipling.. I have quite a few in different colours and sizes.

ExConstance Wed 16-Nov-16 14:06:17

I have a carpet bag -this shape but mine is blue. I've had it for over 20 years and it gets loads of compliments every time I take it out. It holds loads of illicit snacks for cinema visits which is very useful, as well as the usual garbage.

ChubbyMummy12 Wed 16-Nov-16 14:13:47

I have a floral Cath Kidson bag which I love! I think that was around £50 ish.

I also have a lovely natural coloured Radley bag smile

Plus many Matalan cheapies

ElspethFlashman Wed 16-Nov-16 14:20:08

Ooh Boredom I've been obsessing about that leopard camera bag lately. Can you fit much in? Is the strap ok, or is it one of those horrid plastic ones that always looks slightly kinked?

To answer the question: my trusty old long handled Le Pliage by Longchamp. Its light and waterproof and you can fling it about.

mumsnit Wed 16-Nov-16 15:43:46

I have a slouchy grey hobo bag from White Stuff - it's a similar version to this www.whitestuff.com/accessories-shoes/womens-accessories/bags-purses/grey-tabitha-bag/ and great as grey does go with most things. I can use for both work and weekends which is good as I only ever own one handbag until it falls apart!!

Sleepybeanbump Wed 16-Nov-16 15:47:02

The only thing that ever feels right to me is a leather or oilcloth messenger bag with a fabric strap. Even a leather strap looks too smart for me. I have a cheapy market stall one that looks like those Mulberry ones and a Fat Face oil cloth one.

Allinafankle Wed 16-Nov-16 18:37:17

Another vote for Kipling!

Boredomismyenemy Wed 16-Nov-16 19:04:18

elspeth yesterday I had a purse, a phone, an asthma pump with chamber, an anti bac hand gel, a lipstick and keys! For a small bag it is surprisingly spacious. I usually buy leather bags, but this I think is a very nice bag for a cheaper bag! The strap is a great length and I can't say it looks kinked. My only gripe is that the side of the strap is a bit rough, but over my huge parka I don't feel it! They do a similar leather and leopard now call giselle I think. I'm considering asking for it for Christmas as I love my little bag so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now