Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear if you're slim but have a belly?

(21 Posts)
StephenKatz Sun 13-Nov-16 07:59:14

I'm completely stuck for night out clothes! I have a couple of things coming up including the Christmas party and wanted ideally a dress I could wear for all my nights out. My problem is that despite being fairly slim I have the classic Mummy tummy, loads of excess skin from my pregnancies that just never sprang back afterwards, that combined with the fact that I get bloated really easily means I always look about 18 weeks pregnant! What is the best style I should be looking for? I bought this dress off ebay which I love but it doesn't do my tummy any favours!

StephenKatz Sun 13-Nov-16 08:01:20

I should add I'd prefer not to go down the Spanx route if I can help it!

plimsolls Sun 13-Nov-16 08:06:10

Batwing style mini dresses
Skinny jeans with loose drapey style tops
Strapless jumpsuits
Tunic style dresses that show off slimmest feature (so sleeveless if you have good arms or mini if you have good legs)

Stormwhale Sun 13-Nov-16 08:06:28

I go for something in a heavier fabric. It seems to hold its shape rather than clinging to my belly. I avoid shiny or stretchy fabrics, and ideally there will be ruching/pleats to cover a multitude of sins. A pattern helps too, it disguises any lumps which would stand out in a plain fabric. Phase 8 usually have dresses that match this description and are cut nicely imo.

plimsolls Sun 13-Nov-16 08:15:36

I was just coming back to say Phase Eight!

My favourite for parties... Sheer top section and sparkly skirt bit
www.phase-eight.com/pws/ProductDetails.ice?UniqueProductKey=203828050&redirect=true&gclid=CjwKEAiAu6DBBRDDr6-e_6698E0SJACvuxnyLhN6C5kfnHpqe3vBtFPZRLy8y5A55tKleD5Q7IvlDxoCWqnw_wcB

This one comes in many different colours and also sheer/sparkly knits. Can dress up or down with shoes and accessories

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight//becca-batwing-dress/203729050

Jumpsuit version:
www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight//cindy-batwing-jumpsuit/203570153

Lots of similar available in more affordable shops too. Google batwing dress or batwing evening dress.

Or if you see a nice loose drapey style top you like, pair with a mini skirt from elsewhere.

DrLockhart Sun 13-Nov-16 08:22:24

Exactly the same problem.
I focus on my legs and arms.
Dresses must have waist clinching detail
Decent Skinny jeans and floaty tops (high heels as a focus)

I also invested in a decent all in one for my wedding last year, that comes out everytime I go out and smooths down my mummy belly so I actually look like my tummy is flat 😳 It is definitely an investment as it was £75 but I love it, better than Spanx.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sun 13-Nov-16 08:26:29

I always wear skinny jeans and floaty tops, I'm not all that slim though, I'm a 14 but with a very huge belly.

Apricot are good for floaty tops.

Pootlebug Sun 13-Nov-16 08:29:21

I borrowed a dress like this from a friend for a party last night:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ted-baker-dress-/262707439892?hash=item3d2a956914:g:eR0AAOSwImRYHxp2

Fitted from the back but the front panel is quite forgiving. There are various on eBay in a variety of colours but the same style.

Failing that, eat low carb for 4 or 5 days before your event and that should flatten your stomach a lot!

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Sun 13-Nov-16 08:30:14

Ooooh hello this is me too. I feel so self-conscious about my belly, especially as I also have small boobs and I feel like my belly is bigger than my boobs! It's literally the only place I seem to put on weight.

So I have no suggestions, sorry, but I am going to sit here and lurk grin

burnishedsilver Sun 13-Nov-16 08:31:36

Same issue here. I find two pieces are often better.

MumboNumber5 Sun 13-Nov-16 08:36:37

Snap - mine is also bigger than my boobs, but a boring week of slow carbing seems to be helping.

I wear -p-leather skinnies with a loose silk tshirt (pure do them in a range of colours) and heels, or a sparkly wrap dress, opaques and ankle boots. Need to give my waist definition with dresses - tunic ones make me look even more pregnant!
LOVE that phase 8 dress linked upthread (the sequin one)

FrustratedFrugal Sun 13-Nov-16 09:57:21

I'm fairly slim but have no waist. I have learned that anything with waist definition (nipped in waist, belted) will not work. Instead, I will visually draw the focus elsewhere - my face (lipstick!) and legs for example. Heavier fabrics, A line, dropped waist, non-clingy shapes work really well.

ktjb39 Sun 13-Nov-16 10:30:56

This is totally my problem too! Love the phase eight ones I might have to try them.

StephenKatz Sun 13-Nov-16 10:47:51

Thank you for the tips! Cutting out the carbs definitely helps, however dull I agree! Luckily I do have a fairly defined waist, it's very high up though and it's the lower belly that's the issue! I worry that floaty or oversized tops make me look rather large but I'm aware of the fact that my body issues are responsible for that!

Egg Sun 13-Nov-16 11:13:47

Love that first Phase 8 dress!

PorridgeAgainAbney Sun 13-Nov-16 11:32:21

If your hips and legs and slim then the trick with a floaty top is to make sure it ends ABOVE the widest part of your hips. This means you still see the silhouette of the hips coming out from the waist then in again which creates a much nicer shape than if the top ends BELOW the widest part of your hips (which can make you look like a shapeless blob from neck to legs.)

I'm always taking up floaty tops to make them a bit shorter and it makes my overall shape look so much slimmer (34" bust, 38" hips but 34" tummy stuck in the middle grin).

If your tummy is big quite low down, then try to find tops which are lower at the front back but higher on the hips so you still get that shape over the widest part (some shirts have that shape, with slit in the side seam which helps even more because the hip line gets more exposure when you walk).

JamieVardysParty Sun 13-Nov-16 11:44:36

You seriously need this

I'm a slim 10-12, hourglass with small waist big boobs but that little pooch just below the belly button that doesn't go away. So I always want something that's fitted enough to show my silhouette but not fitted enough to cling to my belly.

The playsuit is so flattering. I think I have recommended it about 10 times on here to anyone with the same type shape. It's easy to dress up/down and I've worn it to nights out, wedding and christening.

whataboutbob Sun 13-Nov-16 12:41:41

Thanks for this thread, I am a slim apple, really good to hear how others deal with this body shape.

whitesklyer Sun 13-Nov-16 13:06:11

Same body type as me StephenKatz, Did you try LK Bennett? Their dresses have a great cut, and they suit my figure. [http://www.lkbennett.com/UNLISTED/Marlowe-Roca-Red-Cotton-Mix-Dress/p/CDMARLOWECOTTONMIXRedRoca%20Red?show=All] cut above waist towards narrowest part of my middle and camouflage the mum tum...

Stormwhale Sun 13-Nov-16 17:32:42

OMG whiteskyler i want every dress from them. They are beautiful.

ReluctantlyRedundant101 Sun 13-Nov-16 20:29:58

Also watching with interest I'm going to buy that batwing jumpsuit mentioned upthread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now