Talk

Advanced search

Cherry red hair colour just washing out - any tips

(13 Posts)
RozzlePops Mon 07-Nov-16 11:17:51

I coloured my dark brown with alot of greys hair cherry red by Olia last week. The water never ran clear when I rinsed the colour out despite shampooing twice. Ever since then, whenever I have a shower it is like massacre! I can't even go swimming.

It was a permanent colour, the brown in the colour has covered the greys quite well, but I think that the red will be gone within a few days.

I'm gutted, I really really love the colour and it really suits me. I also want to go swimming without turning the pool pink.

Any ideas please?

Stormwhale Mon 07-Nov-16 11:24:01

You will not be able to stop it running, but you can top it back up with a semi permanent dye. Wash it as little as possible and each time you do, add some semi permanent red dye into your conditioner. Use gloves and leave it for a few minutes before rinsing.

Use the semi permanent dye every two weeks on its own and leave on for as long as you can. Manic panic is a good brand that will nourish your hair as well.

Sorry you have picked a seriously high maintenance colour!

RozzlePops Mon 07-Nov-16 11:29:37

Thanks for your reply. Will it be any better if I get it done professionally?

Underparmummy Mon 07-Nov-16 11:34:09

No, not really! Red is a really annoying colour for fading and washing out. I love just coloured red but have given up on it now.

LifeLong13 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:37:24

Use permanent Live XXL to dye it, then mix the semi permanent one in your conditioner & let it sit when ever you condition your hair

Womble75 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:40:52

I've had red hair for years now and have it done professionally as cba with the massacre looking bathroom it leaves behind. Mine never fades but does "bleed" when I wash it but not to the point I can't go swimming. My hairdresser uses a colour called BRed I think. No bleach. My natural hair is jet black.
To be honest when I did it at home it never lasted and made a right mess. I have the roots done every 5 weeks but the colour stays in the rest of my hair fine.
It took a few visits to get it to build up to the colour it is now but I love it.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 07-Nov-16 11:41:12

Red is notorious for washing out easily and fading early. I've been some version of red for as long as I can remember and I have to top it up once a month rather than 6-8 weeks you get with most other colours.

I'm actually considering having a bleach bath done to remove the colour and going back to my own, natural colour.

Womble75 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:42:05

http://www.affinage.com/UK/PRO/productsinfinitii_bred.html
This one

Womble75 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:45:18

This is the colour just for reference

RozzlePops Mon 07-Nov-16 11:51:22

Oh WOW that is red, and so lovely!

My red is alot more subtle grin

user1478518826 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:02:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EatSleepTeachRepeat Mon 07-Nov-16 12:07:53

Mine is red as well, has been for about 18 months. You sort of have to put up with the massacre style hair washing I'm afraid! I dye mine once every 6 weeks and use a conditioner made to keep colours bright and vibrant, though it still fades a lot.

I avoid swimming for the first week or so but then just make sure its tied up after that. I love my red hair and think its worth the hassle, I just make sure to have a healthy supply of Cillit Bang ha ha

LittleCandle Mon 07-Nov-16 12:23:18

I've been red on and off for almost 20 years. I have only had one colour that ran all the time and while it was fabulous, it was a hassle. It came off on towels and pillowcases, too. I dye my hair at home and use salon colours from Salon Services. To keep the colour better for longer, I put some brown into the mix. Red does fade, though, so you do have to keep at it, especially when you aren't using a 'natural' red colour. Mine is desperately due for a colour, but time is something of a problem at the moment. I love the colour you've chosen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now