Talk

Advanced search

Best way to clean a down jacket?

(14 Posts)
PollysPoppy Mon 07-Nov-16 09:15:59

Washing machine or dry cleaner? Am not convinced that tennis balls in the tumble dryer get the down back to how it was! The care label? The font is so tiny that I can't make anything out!

Thanks!

dreamingofsun Mon 07-Nov-16 09:56:40

i have loads of down jackets - for watching sport and dog walking - and i've always washed them over the years. the only reason i can see for dry cleaning is that the outer fabric needs it....but i've never come across one that does

PollysPoppy Mon 07-Nov-16 12:54:31

Thanks Dreamingof

banivani Mon 07-Nov-16 16:10:33

I used to work in a dry cleaner so I feel qualified. ;) Down jackets from Canada Goose were/are dry clean only and are among the only jackets we consistently stuck to the label for. I'll get back to you when I'm not in a meeting ....

OCSockOrphanage Mon 07-Nov-16 16:23:05

I've always washed down jackets too, and finish drying in the tumble dryer with balls to fluff and puff em back to original warmth and softness.

AteRiri Mon 07-Nov-16 17:04:11

I machine-wash my Uniqlo ultralight down with no problems.

bingohandjob Mon 07-Nov-16 21:10:11

I've machine washed and tumble dried my Uniqlo and North Face down coats loads (with either tennis balls or balled up socks to bounce it back into fluffy life in the tumble drier) and they always come out looking great.

PollysPoppy Mon 07-Nov-16 21:41:52

Ah will save myself dry cleaner charges then by the sound of it but am very interested in what advice banivani gives if she gets a chance to come back. Thanks all.

Excited101 Mon 07-Nov-16 21:44:56

Not sure if it's different but I put my feather and down duvets and pillows in the washing machine and then hang to dry, have never had a problem. No tennis balls and no fabric conditioner.

banivani Tue 15-Nov-16 11:25:08

Forgot about this!

Anyway, when I was working the the biz we'd often come across thick down jackets labelled dry clean only that really didn't suit dry cleaning because the other materials in the jacket couldn't take the high heat a thick coat'd need on the drying sequence to properly evaporate the chemicals. In other words they came out smelling strongly of perc. or with details ruined because of the heat (certain trims or whatever). We'd recommend a special water wash for them instead, after learning the hard way. It annoys me that the manufacturer wasn't clued in when labelling the jackets. However, Canada Goose was strictly dry clean and it worked well - I suspect they don't want water washes because of real fur trim and a fabric that easily loses colour (supposed to be something environmentally friendly in the dyeing process?).

I'd be wary of giving water wash a happy go at home if the coat has leather trims or real fur for example. Both might be completely ruined by a machine wash. Brown leather toggles will stain the jacket material. If you have a good dry cleaner near you you could ask for advice. A good one will say no and not just yes for the business. grin

However, no leather, no fur? Go for it. But drying is key. Very impressed if anyone manages to dry down without a strong heat source like a tumble dryer! Down that remains damp stinks like hell. sad

banivani Tue 15-Nov-16 11:26:18

Obv you always run risk of shrinking fabric in a water wash! Esp since you need to dry it afterwards. What label is the jacket?

starsinyourpies Tue 15-Nov-16 12:02:47

Just done my daughter's very successfully with down wash(bought on Amazon) and tumble dryer balls.

Liiinoo Tue 15-Nov-16 13:41:03

I have had many down jackets. Always washed them and dried them with tennis balls. No problems ever.

VeryPunny Tue 15-Nov-16 13:41:59

I routinely wash down here (coats and duvets). I use a down wash (Grangers/Nikwax for example) in the machine on the super gentle cycle and then into the tumble dryer on the low heat setting. If it comes out lumpy it means it's not quite dry. My tumble dryer has different dryness settings (from iron dry to super extra bone dry) - I stick it to bone dry. Using dryer balls doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Only thing to be careful of is overloading the tumble dryer - there needs to be lots of space. If you have a small tumble dryer I'd take it to a laundrette.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now