Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help a make up novice, please!

(14 Posts)
LollipopViolet Sun 06-Nov-16 13:40:49

OK, so long story short I'm 26 and never used to wear make up because I've always been overweight, and what's the point in looking pretty because I'm still fat, blah blah blah. I've also suffered with low mood in the past.

Anyway, been doing Slimming World, sorting the weight issue and dug out my old make up, cheap stuff, but it'll do for now, and have had friends comment I look nice when I wear it. I feel nice too, even though I don't use a lot.

I currently use:
Max Factor Pan-Stick foundation, shade no. 25
A W7 cheap version of the UD Naked Palette
Mascara - Maybeline Big Eyes
Eyeliner pencil - again a cheap one
Occasionally a nude or pale lipstick (hate the feel of glosses)

So, my birthday is coming up and I'm considering asking for some money towards a new make up collection, including decent-ish brushes I think.

What should I go for? I've attached a photo of my face, and have access to a local Debenhams although am not far from a big city with a Selfridges.

LollipopViolet Sun 06-Nov-16 13:41:33

Oh, forgot to add I want a natural everyday look, but love to do smokey eyes when I go out in the evening.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 06-Nov-16 13:43:13

Brushes- Real Techniques are great.

I'd go to Boots and get them to your match your skin for you for foundation and lips.

LollipopViolet Sun 06-Nov-16 13:53:01

I tried Boots, but felt that the colour they came up with was a bit dark for me, but that may have been because of where the lady did the match (more on my cheek)?

pasturesgreen Sun 06-Nov-16 14:13:23

I'd invest in a great foundation and primer.

Would something like a Benefit brow shaping session be up your street? They can give an amazing lift to your appearance.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 06-Nov-16 14:14:06

Oh shame, they've been good for me.

Bobbi Brown is good for very natural look.

Leviticus Sun 06-Nov-16 14:14:52

I second RT for brushes. The Expert Face brush is a good foundation brush and they do a small purple eyeshadow brush, which is one of the best out there at any price.

Do you have a Space NK near you? In my experience they are the best for trials and advice - all qualified make up artists and not tied (usually) to one range. You don't have to buy everything from there obviously.

I'd get matched up for foundation or tinted moisturiser - your skin tone looks nice and even so you can probably ditch the pan stick. Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser is really good and gives more coverage than you'd think. I also really like Nars Sheer Glow foundation. Both give a nice 'airbrushed' natural look.

I'd get a decent concealer to cover any spots or redness. I can highly recommend Nars creamy concealer as it blends really well and comes in so many shades.

You have lovely blue eyes by the look of it. Brown and bronze eyeshadows and liners will really bring them out but don't feel like you can't experiment with other colours you like - a cheap pallette from somewhere like Make Up Academy or Make Up Revolution (Superdrug) is a good place to start and the quality is pretty decent.

Cream eyeshadow is worth trying for a nice easy smudgey look too - Bobbi Brown Long Wear cream eyeshadow sticks are really nice. You can scribble a bit next to your eyelashes on your lids and smudge with your finger and then use it underneath as a liner too. Chanel is also worth looking at if you fancy a real treat. The cheap ones I've tried have all creased so I think you get what you pay for.

I never buy high end mascara, but always wear black - I'm really not convinced by brown but opinions differ.

Clarins do a really nice and quite extensive range of natural lipsticks.

Watch stuff on YouTube - there are a zillion people doing tutorials it seems. Pick someone whose make up and general 'look' you like.

Good luck!

LollipopViolet Sun 06-Nov-16 14:25:21

Thanks for the advice everyone - yes my eyes are a blue/grey colour and I have to say my favourite feature.

I've been watching some of the Bobbi Brown tutorials on Youtube and like that kind of look so may look there next time I go into my nearest big city - there's a Space NK there too apparently.

I think if I spend more on concealer/foundation that's a start! smile

LollipopViolet Sun 06-Nov-16 18:55:49

Oooh, are these the 2 brushes mentioned up-thread?

Real Techniques Expert Face Brush
Real Techniques Shading Brush

They look great and not too expensive (well, they are compared to my Tesco ones but you know...)

Leviticus Sun 06-Nov-16 19:00:57

Those are the ones. I also use their powder and blusher brushes. They do a stippling brush which a lot of people on here really like but I never quite got the hang of it.

Leviticus Sun 06-Nov-16 19:06:55

Meant to say you will probably want a bigger eyeshadow brush in addition to that one but that one is really good for smudging around the eyeline and shading in the crease. You'll find it really handy for your smokey eye look.

Lovelybangers Sun 06-Nov-16 19:51:13

I have just treated myself to the Today's Special Value on QVC

makeup

I don't wear much make up either - but feel the need to try and smarten myself up a little. This looks like a good kit - as it has all the components for a full face - but easy to apply..

leaveittothediva Sun 06-Nov-16 20:16:00

I love wet n wild eyeshadows, they have some lovely colours. Primark matt lipsticks are brilliant. I also love their make up brushes. Real techniques brushes and their beauty blender is brilliant for blending foundation. I've tried high end make up and seriously never found it lived up to the hype. So I can't help you there. Mac Foundation is the only one I liked. And if you want long eyelashes, you can't beat boots no 17 falseifeye mascara in black it's amazing. You will find things hit and miss a lot of the time in the make up world, I'd get samples before making expensive mistakes.

MeadowHay Sun 06-Nov-16 22:46:08

I've just had a match done at a No.7 counter, I'm quite clueless with makeup especially skin stuff (foundation etc) and I have acne so it was urgently needed, I was happy with my match. The machine gave a different colour for each side of my face but the lady used her judgement to pick out of the two and I was happy with the result - Cool Vanilla foundation, then she selected the 'medium' powder, and 'medium' bronzer, as well as the primer. Was really happy with the experience, I would reccommend going back and telling the person your concerns last time, I'm sure they could help you find something you liked better.

Other recommendations:
Urban Decay's Eye Primer Potion, the best eyeshadow primer ever.
Urban Decay eye shadow palettes - I've got Naked, and also one full of bright colours, they're great.
For a cheaper alternative to UD eye shadow palettes, Sleek do excellent eye shadow pallets too, I have their original one which is great.
I also use Sleek's blusher which was cheap and decent quality.
For brushes I like Ecotools, or The Body Shop. Not cheap but great quality. But I also use the super cheap sponges and eye shadow brushes from Boots sometimes too, depends what I'm using them for.
Soap & Glory do an excellent mascara but I've forgotten the name of it. It's not branded as waterproof but it practically is, and it's really good. I also have one of their 'sexy motherpucker' lipsticks which I find has decent staying power and a lovely colour.
Stargazer do good, cheap, colourful makeup too.
Oh and ELF is good and cheap too, I have their lip primer which is great, makes lipstick stay on longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now