Talk

Advanced search

quirky Japanese make up recommendations please

(9 Posts)
Gatekeeper Sun 06-Nov-16 12:51:16

dd (14) is very much inot to Japanese anything really and I am thinking about getting her some 'cool'/quirky/cult japanese makeup with unusual or kawaii packaging

Does anyone have any suggestions and recommendations for brands and the best sites to buy from (ie. as cheaply as possible)!!

thank you

Dulcimena Sun 06-Nov-16 13:19:32

No specific recs sorry, but have a look at sasa.com or adambeauty for ideas. If you see things that you think she'd like, do check if you can find it on eBay as that may be a bit more straightforward.

Dulcimena Sun 06-Nov-16 13:31:49

Actually I think this stuff is supposed to be good: www.ichibankao.com/Pages/heroinemake.aspx

Canmake (also available from ichibankao) I think do nice e/s, not intensely pigmented though if I recall correctly. It's been a while since I looked at this stuff!

botemp Sun 06-Nov-16 14:45:35

What kind of Japanese things is she into? Most of the drugstore stuff like Canmake, Heroine, Cezanne, Majolica Majorca, etc. are very sparkly pink princessy type things horribly kitsch. The Korean stuff (Tony Moly, Etude House, Too Cool for School, The Faceshop, etc.) is a bit more funky and playful. Ebay is your friend as long as you know what brand you're looking for. Cosme.net in Japanese shows what's popular there with rankings, if you use Google chrome you can automatically translate it all but its country wide including Western brands but with lots of pictures.

Gatekeeper Sun 06-Nov-16 17:01:30

loves manga tv series Bleach, Attack on Titan etc but also likes fluffy kawaii stuff as well. Doesn't wear pink glittery type make up but likes strong eye makeup.

having looked at different types I reckon the Korean stuff might fit the bill more

botemp Sun 06-Nov-16 18:00:25

I figured as much, fwiw most of Asian youth is obsessed with K-drama which is full of beauty product placement so a lot of Japanese teenagers all covet the Korean stuff. I would buy a Heroine mascara for the full on manga eye effect and some false lashes from Dolly Wink. For the rest just some fun bits from some of those Korean brands, Jolse is a handy shop (based in Korea) with a large assortiment and free shipping (takes about 2-3 weeks) or Vuty Design which is more make up oriented and has free shipping over $20.

FrustratedFrugal Sun 06-Nov-16 18:08:00

Have you found kawaiipanda.co.uk - they have kitschy, cute stuff. DD1 is also going through a Japanese phase wink

Gatekeeper Mon 07-Nov-16 08:31:25

lovely ! thank you all- some fab ideas

hollinhurst84 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:24:46

I get the kawaii panda boxes and they're fab

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now