What age did you stop wearing shorts?

(56 Posts)
AteRiri Fri 04-Nov-16 10:21:25

I mean mid-thigh shorts. Not conservative, almost knee-length ones. Nor shorts that show off panties.

HardcoreLadyType Fri 04-Nov-16 10:26:54

I am 48, and wear them on holiday to the beach or pool.

It rarely gets hot enough in the UK to wear shorts, but if it does, I would be more likely to wear slightly longer shorts, here, so mid thigh rather than higher on the thigh. I don't think I've ever worn "hot pants", in my life, for one reason or another.

burnishedsilver Fri 04-Nov-16 10:28:39

I still wear them if it's warm enough. I'm 45. I find they are more flattering than other lengths. Longer shorts make me look dumpy.

Bluntness100 Fri 04-Nov-16 10:32:26

I'm 47, I wear shorts round the house all summer, I also wear shorts in summer if I have friends round, I don't like the knee length ones, I think they are a bit mumsy often, but neither do I like short shorts, more just above mid thigh. However I don't go out in shorts, Unless I'm on holiday.

Artandco Fri 04-Nov-16 10:38:28

Shorts are beach wear only for men and women. It's only uk and America for example where men wear shorts around town and to restaurants. It's scruffy imo

So never. I wear bikini on beach.

AuntieStella Fri 04-Nov-16 10:39:27

I'm over 50 and am still wearing all those length shorts. Well in summer, not November in the northern hemisphere (except when exercising).

I've never gone in for cheek/pant display though, and the shortest would be top of thigh, probably on hols. Mid-thigh and longer I'd wear anywhere.

(I wear miniskirts too - but only in winter with thick tights).

Surely it all depends on whether you like the look and whether you feel good dressed like that? Not age.

ChickyDuck Fri 04-Nov-16 10:40:17

Uhhhhh 14 I think! It's not about showing my legs off at all, I'm very happy in a short skirt or dress, or tight jeans. I just came to the realisation that shorts just don't suit me!

ErrolTheDragon Fri 04-Nov-16 10:40:49

I wear shorts at home when its warm enough, and sometimes for running, occasionally walking, also would at the seaside. The sort of length which covers the chunkier upper thigh section but not too long because I'm short and anything lower looks ridiculous. I'm 55.

TheWayYouLookTonight Fri 04-Nov-16 10:49:45

About 19 I think - I'm very pear shaped and pretty much all types of shorts look awful on me!

RegTheMonkey1 Fri 04-Nov-16 11:07:50

On holiday abroad, walking around in the heat, yes. In UK, no. I'm 62. I wear them just above the knee or just on the knee. Those ankle grazer ones do nothing for me. Short shorts I stopped wearing when I was around 30.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 04-Nov-16 11:13:30

still wear them now mostly on holiday or in summer - size 12-14 longish legs look better with a tan

SuperFlyHigh Fri 04-Nov-16 11:14:10

ps age 45

CallarMorvern Fri 04-Nov-16 11:25:27

I wear sports leggings that are just below my knee. But actual shorts, not since I left school at 18, I'm never that warm and have the legs of a male football player.

AngelsWithSilverWings Fri 04-Nov-16 11:33:47

46 and still wear them. Lived in shorts this summer. Can't imagine ever not wearing them if the weather is nice.

glitterandtinsel Fri 04-Nov-16 11:37:20

I'm 43. Why do I need to stop wearing shorts? Btw I've never worn hot pants, but I count them as pants not shorts, they're not called hot shorts...

Mistykit Fri 04-Nov-16 11:50:06

I still wear short shorts when the weather is hot. I'm 38, size 6

Lobelia123 Fri 04-Nov-16 11:55:23

Me too!!! still wearing them and no one's called the cops yet smile If its hot then they're comfortable. I am aware of the length etc a bit more butthats just because I think the bumskimmers dont look good on ANYONE, no matter what your age....but the mid thigh ones are still good.

witsender Fri 04-Nov-16 13:49:27

I'm 35 and I don't, bar a very old denim pair for beach emergencies and around the house. I tend to wear cotton dresses, maxi skirts etc.

megletthesecond Fri 04-Nov-16 13:52:35

I wear them running in the summer. I'm 42.

Rarely warm enough to wear cut off jeans in this country but I wear them occasionally in the summer.

ClaretAndBlue30 Fri 04-Nov-16 13:53:10

It must have been as a child as I don't remember ever wearing them - I've been slim most of my life (not so much now post DD) but I think my thighs aren't the right shape for shorts, plus I have very pale skin so usually I wear tights with dresses instead.

Often envious of those who can carry off shorts.

mudandmayhem01 Fri 04-Nov-16 13:53:29

My mum is 72, she wears shorts in the summer, longish ones but she looks great.

enolagayits0815 Fri 04-Nov-16 13:55:03

50s and I wear shorts a lot, I'm wearing some now as I was too hot in my jeans.

BadToTheBone Fri 04-Nov-16 14:01:17

When I'm dead.

Laska5772 Fri 04-Nov-16 14:03:09

58 , still wear top of thigh shorts,, ( but not those so short you can see bum or pockets are below the hem,). Luckily my legs are my best bit well no ones screamed yet anyway grin

steppemum Fri 04-Nov-16 14:05:32

my mum still wears them, and some of hers are shorter than that.
She is 75.

She mostly wears them around the garden and on holiday. She would usually put on something longer to go into town.

But she always looks well turned out, and they never look horrible. She is a good shape for shorts.

I, on the other hand, am not a good shape for shorts. The ones that look best on me are baggy shorts, about mid thigh. I am nearly 50. I would wear them on the school run and round and about, but probably not goign into town.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now