Talk

Advanced search

Evening wedding party - help me find a dress

(23 Posts)
grannycake Fri 04-Nov-16 05:21:46

Have been invited to an old friend's daughters evening wedding do. My clothes are either super smart for work or really casual Don't really have any call for dressy stuff and have no idea what to wear. I am size 8 but only five foot tall. Bit booby and hate my upper arms Help me find something please

Pantsalive Fri 04-Nov-16 08:49:32

What sort of colours suit you and how much are you looking to spend?

I think, if you're just an evening guest, you're able to wear something that you can wear again, rather than something very 'weddingy'

How about something like this?

Pantsalive Fri 04-Nov-16 08:51:15

Or this one from Précis petite

Pantsalive Fri 04-Nov-16 08:53:47

I like this velvet one and it would be great for Christmas parties.

Pantsalive Fri 04-Nov-16 09:00:44

Dorothy Perkins

grannycake Fri 04-Nov-16 09:04:11

Thank you for the suggestions. Happy to pay around £100 but ideally a little less as won't get much use out of it. I love the style of the velvet one but not the colour. High necks look awful on me as they make me look as if I have no neck and also tend to make my boobs look like a shelf. I usually stick to black, grey or navy with bits of hot pink or scarlet. I buy a lot from Hush and Baukjen. I'm wondering if I could get away with trousers and silky top of some sort as I think I would get more use from them. But being short means I always struggle with trousers. Bah - I love clothes but hate trying to find something specific.I am also going to have to buy shoes which is worse than buying clothes - very wide feet. My best clothes are ones that I just happened upon IYKWIM

BusterGonad Fri 04-Nov-16 09:05:00

I like the velvet one that pants suggested from Jacques Verts, it's a great shape for the big boobed and covers the arms, and it will be lovely over the Christmas season too.

Pantsalive Fri 04-Nov-16 09:10:48

Other Stories velvet

Embroidered

Pantsalive Fri 04-Nov-16 09:13:15

I think you could definitely wear trousers and a top.

AnotherEmma Fri 04-Nov-16 09:14:53

What about this Monsoon Sherry dress? You would just need a simple cardie or jacket to wear with it.

grannycake Fri 04-Nov-16 09:16:32

Love the embroidered one - might be a bit too loose fitting though. As I'm short this style can look a bit tent-like. No branch around here - Swansea area. Anyone know what their sizing is like

AnotherEmma Fri 04-Nov-16 09:17:26

I like the Jacques Vert velvet dress too.

grannycake Fri 04-Nov-16 09:18:21

I like the style of the Monsoon one but not the colour and it's out of stock in my size

Pantsalive Fri 04-Nov-16 09:21:07

Have you looked at Zara? They have had some gorgeous embroidered dresses.

grannycake Fri 04-Nov-16 09:29:34

www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/dresses/embroidered-dress-c269185p3951511.html

I like this one from Zara but will have to go and try it on as again I think I might have the tent issue

grannycake Fri 04-Nov-16 09:31:36

I only had the invite yesterday so haven't been to actual shops yet as I work FT. I hate shopping so if I could find online I would be really pleased. Then I'd just have the shoes to worry about - have to go to actual shops for them

Pantsalive Fri 04-Nov-16 09:32:00

I love that one but I have seen other photos of it and think it is decidedly tenty.
Not sure of Other Stories sizing. Might be worth ordering to see.

AnotherEmma Fri 04-Nov-16 09:33:12

Sorry but I think that Zara dress would look awful if you have big boobs - the neckline is too high and it's rather shapeless.

AnotherEmma Fri 04-Nov-16 09:34:39

(Having said that it might depend just how big your boobs are, if they're not too huge it could be fine.)

grannycake Fri 04-Nov-16 09:35:16

www.mintvelvet.co.uk/charcoal-layered-lace-dress/dresses/mint-v/fcp-product/7514

A bit more that I ideally want to pay but I do like this. Feedback please

AnotherEmma Fri 04-Nov-16 09:42:03

Classy!

Do you mind me asking how old you are?

I love this dress but I'm a sucker for a red dress, and I get the impression we have v different taste/style!

grannycake Fri 04-Nov-16 10:25:12

I don't mind at all Emma - I was 60 this year. I love the red dress but I know from experience that unless it is petite the waist will be in the wrong place (and even then I'm short bodied so usually still not right)

burnishedsilver Fri 04-Nov-16 10:32:38

Yes absolutely you can wear trousers and a silky top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now