Talk

Advanced search

How would you dress?

(15 Posts)
Wassat Wed 02-Nov-16 06:59:27

A size 10/12 bottom, good legs, bit of a tummy (3 kids), big boobs, broad shoulders? I'm all at sea with clothes at the moment- in my head I'm the skinny little thing I was 10 yrs ago- I keep on buying high necked chunky jumpers, high necked loose shifts and stripes because I love them- I get them out every morning, admire them, put them on and then get a sledgehammer of disappointment in the face when I look in the mirror and realise that they just don't suit me- so then I spend the rest of the day feeling self conscious and frumpy. I've completely lost any sense of what might suit me and make me feel good- so I'm hoping some of you wise ones might be able to give me some pointers in what to try on, or which shops to look at- I have to step away from my current favourites I think!

Pestilence13610 Wed 02-Nov-16 07:44:19

With the combination of broad shoulders and big boobs you probably need to show a bit of decolletage. So a v neck, scoop or undone buttons, not too much cleavage. You need to break up the widest bit of you to avoid the rugby player look. A scarf can do a similar job whilst allowing you to keep the clothes you love.
I also love balloon dresses as the balance the weight of broad shoulders but if you are feeling frumpy with a 10/12 bum they may make you feel like a bus.

Wassat Wed 02-Nov-16 08:15:44

Ha! Yes the rugby player/bus thing is exactly right- I've always found it's hard to break up the top without making myself look broader and therefore making my bottom half look out of proportion iyswim- I think that's where the love of a balloon dress comes from but I think it's just not doing me any favours anymore. I'm just clueless reallyblush

Pestilence13610 Wed 02-Nov-16 08:30:56

Balloon dresses need to be drapey enough for them to swish and drape around you, some are stiff and feel like wearing walking around in a box.
Soft fabrics help and I often take a pair of scissors to a neckline to make it into a wide scoop, collar bones are the ultimate bit of body to show off.
When I was young I had the body of Cindy Crawford grin a few decades and just a couple of inches later, well rugby player does come to mind more often.sad

Pestilence13610 Wed 02-Nov-16 08:50:55

a casual jeans and t-shirt look

BagelGoesWalking Wed 02-Nov-16 09:19:52

I have very small boobs but wide shoulders, so always wear v neck (or scoop neck) style, whether t-shirts or jumpers. Definitely makes a difference to your "look". Also try shirts, rather than tops so you can have a few buttons undone to give you the v.

I'd love to wear wrap dresses but they always look wrong as I think you need boobs to balance any tummy. But perhaps you could try those, they would have the v neck and would probably look great. With straight jeans or even a shorter/mini skirt?

Quite a few people on MN threads have recommended a personal shopper at Debenhams, so maybe give that a try?

Wassat Wed 02-Nov-16 09:44:30

Yes I did think about a wrap dress but I'm a bit self conscious of my stomach so I generally look for things which are looser over the midriff. Will look into debenhams personal shopper, thanks smile

Yika Wed 02-Nov-16 09:55:15

I'm the same kind of shape. I don't much like v-necks, I find high necks suit me better in spite of being top heavy.

I have found that cowl, gathered, horseshoe shape or square necklines minimise the large boobs and shoulders and balance out my shape.

Pestilence13610 Wed 02-Nov-16 10:03:30

Love the red dress, but fear I would have to get a seamstress to shave about 3 inches off the hips.
The one thing I long for is a fitted dress that fits.
I used to have some nougat dresses that were shaped more like me.

BumbleNova Wed 02-Nov-16 10:03:33

I'm a 10 with big boobs and bum and i also instinctively choose shift shapes but I look awful. I know it sounds counter intuitive but things that are close cut seem to flatter me more. less material to show off the good bits if you know what I mean

I second v-necks, I think slim fitting jeans work and I am into ruched skirts and dresses at the moment. both boden and hush do good ones. I also find boat necks quite good, they seem to detract from my rugby player shoulders.

fishofdespair Wed 02-Nov-16 10:35:46

Whats your underwear like OP? being a similar shape I find a decent bra is essential otherwise nothing looks good, my boobs need to be a good distance from my tummy! Knickers need to be a decent shape as per this current thread.

Fitted tends to work better than raglan sleeve or very baggy shapeless tops, I love the shapeless baggy tops but I look huge in them. A v or scoop is good.

Wassat Wed 02-Nov-16 13:18:26

Hmmm underwear could probably do with an update- my back has got fatter (??) in the last few years and I hate it when you can see bra rolls on your back, which is another reason I have been going baggy recently... So v necks, ruching and new underwear! Anything else? Any good shops?

OohNoDooEy Wed 02-Nov-16 13:22:59

You're thinner than me but similar sounding figure. I don't wear anything with a high neck, ideally a v-neck.

I have this in grey and red and wear it with boots and thick black tights leggings - www.marksandspencer.com/long-sleeve-fit-and-flare-swing-dress/p/p22461623?mfPartNumber=T422911D&carousel=FUNV_RR

I don't have any fail safe shops, unfortunately.

Wassat Wed 02-Nov-16 13:59:29

LOVE that m and s dress- only have black on the website though and following an ill advised goth period in my teens I don't do black....

Bluntness100 Wed 02-Nov-16 14:09:21

A decent bra is a really good recommendation, you'd be amazed at how much slimmer you can look just by having your boobs lifted a bit higher.

V necks and scoop necks also work as other posters said, and make sure tops come to your hips and not your waist and cut uou in half, so many of them can be quite short.

Chunky jumpers, loose shifts and stripes can all serve to make uou look a lot bigger than uou actually are. Often something more fitted to the body and well fitting (but not clingy) works much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now